Jerome Hunter

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I know baseball is different but the Reds Scooter Gennett got hurt in March and just came back in July and right now he does not even look like the same player.  It will take any player in any sport some time to get back into the swing of things in a game setting.

Kinda like Kyle Schwarber blowing out a knee and coming back for the playoffs and World Series?  :coffee:

3 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Not sure why you tagged me lol. I hope he’s healthy and gets to play this year. Never like to see someone sidelined due to injury. 

IU with a healthy Jerome Is not good news for PU And im really excited at the possibility of having a healthy team for once! But ya I guess I wanted to let you know we COMIN. 

Really Hope both teams stay healthy this year..should be an exciting 2 games.

8 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Most likely at the 3 - he’s a 6’7 wing, would expect to see Green at the 2, though the positions are basically interchangeable now

Yeah that's what I figured.  I just wonder what Jerome's presence will mean for Justin's minutes as we have TJD, Deron, Brunk, Race, and Demazi as well.  I can only imagine his daddy's tweets if he comes off the bench.

18 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

i really think we need to temper the expectations for a guy who really hasn't had practice or conditioning for over a year and hasn't had the chance to really compete against college level opponents.  I hope he is all that everyone says.

He's been conditioning since Feb. 

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2019/02/25/iu-basketball-jerome-hunter-returns-court-work/2986585002/

...It's just that we (fans) are in such a desperate need of a wing who can score. That combined with the 'gold jersey' and all the positive talk about him from teammates has escalated expectations.

At least it seems that when I hold my wet thumb to the wind, those expectations seemed to have shifted off of TJD.  haha. 

...and I hesitate to call them expectations - I view it more as hope. I don't think anybody (well, many) are going to hold it against a player we've never seen play one college game if he's not averaging double digits. We have no baseline of standards to hold him up to. The unfortunate IU wrath is focused on 2-3 year player who have shown us their baseline and aren't living up to the rational/irrational standards we hold them up to....since it's us who know best. 😎

21 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I’ve said it multiple times, he’s a pro.  Think Romeo with a better outside shot and more emotion.(Not a knock on Romeo either.) Just remember Romeo also sent his dad a text telling him how good JH was/is.  It’s ok to be excited, I sure am. 

Spot on. JH is and will be very very special.  I think he will be the key to help unlock some 5 star talent.

6 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I’ve said it multiple times, he’s a pro.  Think Romeo with a better outside shot and more emotion.(Not a knock on Romeo either.) Just remember Romeo also sent his dad a text telling him how good JH was/is.  It’s ok to be excited, I sure am. 

I understand and appreciate your enthusiasm.  I am just setting my baseline expectations to zero.  I am no longer enthused by the hype of players anymore.  I just don't know what this team and coach will produce this year.  Once we make it into B1G play, then i will determine whether this team is worth being excited about.  

18 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Ca you elaborate on your last sentence?

He is going to help make Indiana look like a cool place to come and play.  His talent combined with his enthusiasm will resonate well with high level recruits IMO. Romeo helped lay the foundation JH and TJD will add to it. Those 3 young men represent IU well and I think will be so valuable for 2021 and beyond 

The reason for hope or expectation with Hunter is very well founded.

He was absolutely right there with Romeo in practices and scrimmages heading into last season. He was somewhat overshadowed in recruiting when Romeo committed, but yeah, he’s a next level player if healthy, and his game is more rounded than Romeo’s (who frankly still killed it last season and would have been better but for his hand injury).

So go ahead, get hyped, as more info comes out that he is getting healthy (notwithstanding CAM’s caution), I am.

24 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I understand and appreciate your enthusiasm.  I am just setting my baseline expectations to zero.  I am no longer enthused by the hype of players anymore.  I just don't know what this team and coach will produce this year.  Once we make it into B1G play, then i will determine whether this team is worth being excited about.  

Part of the fun of being a fan is hyping the &%$! out of players who haven't seen one minute of college ball. But I get it - we overhyped last year's team and it was a huge disappointment.

I remember hearing about the game that Hunter and his team played here in Indy and that he was ejected form the game.  This is not the best thing but if it came from being a competitor and he hates to lose that is the kind of emotion that we needs from kids.  It just seems like the kids we get are very good kids and are nice which is great but we need to have guys who hate to lose as well.

I really hope the fanbase can just be patient. 

Next year 2020-21 we could be VERY good. 

3 SRs

Smith, Durham, and Brunk. None are fantastic but great experience. 

3 JRs 

Phin, Anderson, Thompson. I expect Thompson to be solid and I think Phin is an all league player by then. 

3 SO 

TJD, Hunter and Frankin. I think TJD could absolutely be an all league type player by then. Hunter could be as well. 

Phin

Durham

Hunter

TJD and whoever else in the starting lineup. I like the looks of that team a lot. 

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I really hope the fanbase can just be patient. 

Next year 2020-21 we could be VERY good. 

3 SRs

Smith, Durham, and Brunk. None are fantastic but great experience. 

3 JRs 

Phin, Anderson, Thompson. I expect Thompson to be solid and I think Phin is an all league player by then. 

3 SO 

TJD, Hunter and Frankin. I think TJD could absolutely be an all league type player by then. Hunter could be as well. 

Phin

Durham

Hunter

TJD and whoever else in the starting lineup. I like the looks of that team a lot. 

Absolutely agree, I know I’m hard on Coach a lot but he’s not going anywhere before year 4 and hopefully not after then either.  I just need to stay off of here when we lose! 😊

4 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Absolutely agree, I know I’m hard on Coach a lot but he’s not going anywhere before year 4 and hopefully not after then either.  I just need to stay off of here when we lose! 😊

Coach SS said recently that we were YEARS away from competing for the conference title.  But is it not possible that we could have 3 of the top 10 players in the league or close to it in 2020-21 with TJD, Rob, and Hunter?  And if so when was the last B1G team that had that and wasn't a serious contender for the B1G title?

3 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Coach SS said recently that we were YEARS away from competing for the conference title.  But is it not possible that we could have 3 of the top 10 players in the league or close to it in 2020-21 with TJD, Rob, and Hunter?  And if so when was the last B1G team that had that and wasn't a serious contender for the B1G title?

Maybe he meant more of a consistent basis. Also.. all league would be top 15. Do you disagree with prediction I made for 2020-21 (assuming Hunter is healthy and builds on his FR year). 

2 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

The number of what ifs are endless; but, if Hunter stays healthy would we be more in line with a 2nd weekend NCAA team instead of the black hole of losses we ended up as last year?

4 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

The number of what ifs are endless; but, if Hunter stays healthy would we be more in line with a 2nd weekend NCAA team instead of the black hole of losses we ended up as last year?

Assuming you're talking 20-21?

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Maybe he meant more of a consistent basis. Also.. all league would be top 15. Do you disagree with prediction I made for 2020-21 (assuming Hunter is healthy and builds on his FR year). 

No seems pretty accurate.  I noticed you didn't mention Galloway though.  Is he a RS candidate?

11 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

Agree with Btown, this year making the tourney would be a good goal. 2021 Big Ten Championship could very well be the goal.  Just never know what will happen though 

Archived