Jerome Hunter

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly don't care about what he did in practice or what jersey he did or did not win.  It is going to come down to can it translate to game play.  I don't know that yet.  I am not buying anymore hype from IU basketball.  Practice vs Game are two completely different things.  High School Vs College are two completely different games.  I hope he is all everyone things he is but at this point, i assume he is just like every other freshman and isn't going to be a game changer, until he is.  Sorry i am being a pessimist but i just don't wear Crimson glasses anymore.  Someday i hope to put them back on

I understand why people think what they do. Make no mistake JH was the best player on the floor until his illness. Its was an illness not an injury I dont expect him to have lost anything at all.

I still find it interesting that some still dont feel Romeo lived up to the hype.  Only had 1 of the highest scoring averages for a freshman in school history playing on a team that could not play to his strengths. 

JH will be one of our fan favorites whether it's for 1 or more years. I am happy for him and wish him all the best.

Just want to say.  Coach Miller hands out a gold jersey for the week's most outstanding practice player.  Personally, I don't consider that IU hype. But, rather, an evaluation on a weekly basis as to who is standing out in practice. I highly doubt Coach is wearing Crimson glasses in practice. 

I can understand not feeling it yet, based on not making the NCAA.  However, I don't need Crimson glasses to see the untapped potential on this season's team. Not just for Jerome. But for at least a good handful or more of others. 

Fortunately, it will not be long, before we all will be able to stop speculating, and seeing actual results.  The season can't come soon enough for me. For that reason.

26 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I understand why people think what they do. Make no mistake JH was the best player on the floor until his illness. Its was an illness not an injury I dont expect him to have lost anything at all.

I still find it interesting that some still dont feel Romeo lived up to the hype.  Only had 1 of the highest scoring averages for a freshman in school history playing on a team that could not play to his strengths. 

JH will be one of our fan favorites whether it's for 1 or more years. I am happy for him and wish him all the best.

Because we didn't make the dance and we easily should have.  Take Romeo off and replace them with a freshman EJ or Cody and I'd bet the farm we make the NCAAs.

I'd say I'm "cautiously optimistic" - especially if the medical staff feels that he's essentially cured.

I understand and agree with the "show me on the court/scoreboard" sentiment.  This goes for the team/program in general.  On a related note, I saw a short crawl at the bottom of the screen while watching the local news this morning that said CAM described IU basketball as being at "ground zero".  I don't what the context was, but I kind of feel that way too.

edit: I found a link to story from WISH-TV:

https://www.wishtv.com/sports/college-basketball/iu-coach-miller-talks-about-hoosiers-basketball-season/

4 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Because we didn't make the dance and we easily should have.  Take Romeo off and replace them with a freshman EJ or Cody and I'd bet the farm we make the NCAAs.

What if those two have a torn ligament in their wrist, I guess EJ did and they barely made the tournament and lost in the first round.

10 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:
5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

What if those two have a torn ligament in their wrist, I guess EJ did and they barely made the tournament and lost in the first round.

I guess barely making it was the wrong word since they were an 8th seed

Along with the plethora of other injuries IU suffered. If we had been healthy the whole year, we would have made it easily.

And Romeo had a good year, despite all the boo-hooing that he didn't.

29 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Maybe. Our team still could not throw it in the ocean. Romeo became easier to guard when we could not space the floor. My biggest regret with Romeo and as a coach I cant believe I am saying it. I wish he had a F you all attitude and just went out and got his. I think we would have been better and his avg would have been much higher 

28 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

If we're going to do 'what if's' then you have to flip it around too. Give Langford a healthy Jerome Hunter and Rob Phinisee all season and last year's team waltz's into the NCAA's, Langford is a hero and Archie has the program about the explode. Literally a couple of injuries don't happen and last year's team is completely different. 

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

If we're going to do 'what if's' then you have to flip it around too. Give Langford a healthy Jerome Hunter and Rob Phinisee all season and last years teams waltz's into the NCAA's, Langford is a hero and Archie has the program about the explode. Literally a couple of injuries don't happen and last year's team is completely different. 

Ooh. What if's.   I like your what if, best of all .   LOL

4 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Lets say Jerome was fully healthy and we didn't have Romeo, we wouldn't of been better. 

Hard to say...but Jerome is a better shooter than Romeo...at least an injured Romeo. He is just about as good a scorer. He doesn't have the hype machine that was Indiana HS basketball behind him but he was one of the best in the state of Ohio easily. The thing is both still would need help from the perimeter to allow them to play to their strengths. They are pretty similar players.

19 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Lets say Jerome was fully healthy and we didn't have Romeo, we wouldn't of been better. 

With no serious outside threat correct.  The 2 of them on the court together could have been special.  Didnt happen so let's move on and see how this year plays out. I am excited but not putting the same level of expectations I had last year 

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

I wish you would just keep your negativity where it belongs on the Rivals forum. We should have made the tournament but it wasn't because our best player didn't play good enough....it was the supporting cast and you know it...but keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

With no serious outside threat correct.  The 2 of them on the court together could have been special.  Didnt happen so let's move on and see how this year plays out. I am excited but not putting the same level of expectations I had last year 

Yes. Put Romeo at the two and Jerome at the three or Romeo at the 3 and Jerome at the 4 and you have a lot of size, shooting, and balance. There is a reason Jerome was getting hype early in the season and it wasn't just practice. His game translates. I'm not going to go crazy but I fully believe him to be a double digit scorer for this team and be a big spark.

21 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yes. Put Romeo at the two and Jerome at the three or Romeo at the 3 and Jerome at the 4 and you have a lot of size, shooting, and balance. There is a reason Jerome was getting hype early in the season and it wasn't just practice. His game translates. I'm not going to go crazy but I fully believe him to be a double digit scorer for this team and be a big spark.

I do feel confident in saying he will get drafted sometime. I cant wait to see this group come together.  No expectations from me  of challenging for anything and hopefully I can enjoy it more this year

1 minute ago, 68Hoosier said:

I have been following this topic and just wandering.   Will JH be a starter when the season begins.  If he was the best on the floor last year, then he would most likely have a spot.

I think there are 3 guaranteed to start - Rob, Devonte, and Jerome. 

Then 2 of Justin, Deron, and Trayce.

Archived