Jerome Hunter

10 hours ago, IUaic said:

Good news on that Jerome Hunter guy. We will get to see what he can do this year. Is anyone else super excited about this?

Really, really pulling for this kid. Former top 50 recruit who at a young age had to face some scary, scary stuff. Imagine busting your tail off for years to get to the point of playing big time college hoops and all of sudden the Dr's say no dice young man. What a challenge mentally. We all have our favorites on a team because of performance or hype or whatever....I'm pulling for this kid as much as anyone since Creek. 

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, coachv said:

even though i'm getting old it was not so long ago that i don't remember. the hype was romeo was the messiah that was going to get us back to the ncaa tourney at a minimum, and likely the sweet 16. that is the essence of not living up to the hype. also not romeo's fault

Well if everyone was healthy last year it probably would have happened

52 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Really, really pulling for this kid. Former top 50 recruit who at a young age had to face some scary, scary stuff. Imagine busting your tail off for years to get to the point of playing big time college hoops and all of sudden the Dr's say no dice young man. What a challenge mentally. We all have our favorites on a team because of performance or hype or whatever....I'm pulling for this kid as much as anyone since Creek. 

Same here.  It's pretty uncommon when a 5-star level player redshirts his freshman year without being injured.  Hunter will have had a full year to work with strength & conditioning coaches, acclimate to college life, and mature physically and mentally.  Sure, he's bound to have gotten rusty as far as basketball goes but he likely is otherwise much better prepared for his first collegiate season than a typical incoming freshman.

Also, during the time he was unable to participate in "contact" drills I'm sure he got to work on shooting, so I'd hope he'll be at least as good as the reports we heard a year ago.  He may well take several weeks of real competition to fully get up to speed but I see reason to believe we're going to like what we see out of young Mr. Hunter.

17 hours ago, coachv said:

it was all against the same team. they looked like a bunch of little white kids from the jv team

You can downplay him all you want, but Jerome was the player that Romeo singled out to family and friends as "really good".  Of course we have to see the finished product on the floor but I see no harm in this kind of speculation.   I think he has a solid chance to lead the team in ppg.

We'll see...

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Watching these highlight tapes, Hunter is EXACTLY what we need at the 3 spot, and it looks like he has the size to play the 4 as well.  I think he also mentioned that positional versatility in his media day interview as well.  Should be a game changer.

Yes. He isn't a high flyer or beef boy down low but he is long and athletic enough. Not sure we would need him to man the 4 but I think the main thing is he can put it on the floor, shoot, and get to the rim. He is well rounded. He also has a scorers mentality. Something we will need. Somebody will have to score for us and I think him and Green will be looked to in that regard. Instant starting 3 imo.

31 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Watching these highlight tapes, Hunter is EXACTLY what we need at the 3 spot, and it looks like he has the size to play the 4 as well.  I think he also mentioned that positional versatility in his media day interview as well.  Should be a game changer.

Wasn’t CAM saying he would also play some 2 before the incident last year?

18 minutes ago, BDB said:

Can't say for sure about that.  However, Coach's system allows for a lot of mixing and matching of positions.  So, I would not be surprised if he applied that to Jerome. And others.

23 minutes ago, BDB said:

I always thought that was wishful thinking by the fans more than anything Archie said (much like the wishful thinking regarding Smith playing the 3).

In any event, I don’t think we’ll be seeing Hunter at the 2, and I really don’t think playing him at the 2 would be beneficial to the team.  You need at least two guards that can handle the ball on the court, and Hunter just isn’t that type of player.  Not to mention the fact that Archie has played mostly three-guard lineups since he got to IU.  At least two of the group of Phinisee, Green, Durham, and Franklin will be on the court at all times.

26 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I always thought that was wishful thinking by the fans more than anything Archie said (much like the wishful thinking regarding Smith playing the 3).

In any event, I don’t think we’ll be seeing Hunter at the 2, and I really don’t think playing him at the 2 would be beneficial to the team.  You need at least two guards that can handle the ball on the court, and Hunter just isn’t that type of player.  Not to mention the fact that Archie has played mostly three-guard lineups since he got to IU.  At least two of the group of Phinisee, Green, Durham, and Franklin will be on the court at all times.

May have been.  My memory isn’t what it used to be as I turned 50 today.  Gonna enjoy some good ol Iowa Busch Lattes. 

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Yes. He isn't a high flyer or beef boy down low but he is long and athletic enough. Not sure we would need him to man the 4 but I think the main thing is he can put it on the floor, shoot, and get to the rim. He is well rounded. He also has a scorers mentality. Something we will need. Somebody will have to score for us and I think him and Green will be looked to in that regard. Instant starting 3 imo.

over smith? we'll see

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Agree. Could he steal some minutes at the 2? Probably. Does he want to be a 2 or be developed as a 2? I'd guess so, as that would probably be his position at the next level. But in college basketball it probably won't play to his strengths. I'm going to guess that his handles and decision making with the ball probably aren't at a point where having him play extended minutes as the secondary ball handler is a great idea. 

It's similar to Morgan last year. Everyone, including probably Morgan himself, wanted him to be a 4. Problem was with his lack of consistency shooting from the perimeter, the position where he could most take advantage of his skills and create mismatches was going against the other teams center. 

Same with Hunter. I'm guessing to an extent here, but I'd guess his best mismatch for now would be taking bigger defenders off the dribble to create space for shots. Not having smaller, quicker guys defend him. 

I think the best bet for IU, at least offensively, is to have as much speed, skill and shooting around the perimeter as possible. If Phinisee stays healthy and plays as a more advanced version of his first half from last year, Green becomes a dependable senior and plays like he did down the stretch last year and Hunter is close to as advertised in terms of shooting/scoring, then IU actually has a pretty formidable, skilled perimeter. Several 'if's' there, but they're all certainly realistic. 

Note: I don't really believe in the whole 1,2,3,4,5 positions anymore, but it's just easier for the sake of the discussion. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Agree. Could he steal some minutes at the 2? Probably. Does he want to be a 2 or be developed as a 2? I'd guess so, as that would probably be his position at the next level. But in college basketball it probably won't play to his strengths. I'm going to guess that his handles and decision making with the ball probably aren't at a point where having him play extended minutes as the secondary ball handler is a great idea. 

It's similar to Morgan last year. Everyone, including probably Morgan himself, wanted him to be a 4. Problem was with his lack of consistency shooting from the perimeter, the position where he could most take advantage of his skills and create mismatches was going against the other teams center. 

Same with Hunter. I'm guessing to an extent here, but I'd guess his best mismatch for now would be taking bigger defenders off the dribble to create space for shots. Not having smaller, quicker guys defend him. 

I think the best bet for IU, at least offensively, is to have as much speed, skill and shooting around the perimeter as possible. If Phinisee stays healthy and plays as a more advanced version of his first half from last year, Green becomes a dependable senior and plays like he did down the stretch last year and Hunter is close to as advertised in terms of shooting/scoring, then IU actually has a pretty formidable, skilled perimeter. Several 'if's' there, but they're all certainly realistic. 

Note: I don't really believe in the whole 1,2,3,4,5 positions anymore, but it's just easier for the sake of the discussion. 

This is exactly why I don’t post a whole lot.  BGleas always swoops in making complete sense. How boring. 😁

With the word that Al will be backing up the point I think that points to Rob, Green, Jerome, and a combination of Justin/Trayce and Brunk/Davis. Hard to say which bigs start...a lot to wash out in who Archie can trust to defend and run the offense through. I’d lean towards Justin and Brunk until I can see how Trayce looks and if Davis will be healthy enough to play bigger minutes.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

With the word that Al will be backing up the point I think that points to Rob, Green, Jerome, and a combination of Justin/Trayce and Brunk/Davis. Hard to say which bigs start...a lot to wash out in who Archie can trust to defend and run the offense through. I’d lean towards Justin and Brunk until I can see how Trayce looks and if Davis will be healthy enough to play bigger minutes.

Al handling the backup pg duties doesn’t necessarily mean he won’t start. It just means he’ll slide over when Phinisee needs a break. Not saying he definitely starts either, just that him handling pg when Phinisee is out doesn’t mean he won’t start either. 

Archived