Jerome Hunter

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Al handling the backup pg duties doesn’t necessarily mean he won’t start. It just means he’ll slide over when Phinisee needs a break. Not saying he definitely starts either, just that him handling pg when Phinisee is out doesn’t mean he won’t start either. 

With how Archie talked about Green being our most talented scorer...made it sound like he would start. Make the most sense to have Al come off the bench. Rob maybe get 30 mins a game, Green and Al split 25 with 10 having Al at the point. I could be wrong but that was how I took his comments. Al’s new role would be to come off the bench. Guess it won’t be long til we know.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, dgambill said:

With how Archie talked about Green being our most talented scorer...made it sound like he would start. Make the most sense to have Al come off the bench. Rob maybe get 30 mins a game, Green and Al split 25 with 10 having Al at the point. I could be wrong but that was how I took his comments. Al’s new role would be to come off the bench. Guess it won’t be long til we know.

I could see RP, Al and Green all start especially early in the season.  If you asked me to predict the starting lineup the first game of the season this is what I would pick.

RP

Al

Green

Smith

Davis

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I could see RP, Al and Green all start especially early in the season.  If you asked me to predict the starting lineup the first game of the season this is what I would pick.

RP

Al

Green

Smith

Davis

I could see that lineup at times. I just don’t see it being enough. I mean we ran that 3 guard lineup out in the NIT and I wasn’t impressed. I hope that we have a better option this year or the prognosticators might be right about us.

On 9/26/2019 at 12:43 PM, dbmhoosier said:

Dgambill really doesn't know what he's talking about.  The Rivals board hasn't been negative as of late.  Most think we have a good team and that Archie is a good coach.  The outlier is of course your pal fpeaugh but he's now the laughing stock of the board.  No one over there can stand that idiot anymore.

not negative? that's because anyone not in lockstep with the "positive comments only" edict has already been banned, myself included. some mod from oregon informed me i was a purdue troll while doing so. who knew?

22 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I always thought that was wishful thinking by the fans more than anything Archie said (much like the wishful thinking regarding Smith playing the 3).

In any event, I don’t think we’ll be seeing Hunter at the 2, and I really don’t think playing him at the 2 would be beneficial to the team.  You need at least two guards that can handle the ball on the court, and Hunter just isn’t that type of player.  Not to mention the fact that Archie has played mostly three-guard lineups since he got to IU.  At least two of the group of Phinisee, Green, Durham, and Franklin will be on the court at all times.

Archie just talked about JH playing some at the 2 on media day.

13 hours ago, IU Scott said:

RP

Al

Green

Smith

Davis

RP, Green, JH, TJD, Davis or Brunk. Archie is going old school big. Playing inside out. 3 point line is moving back a foot. That will change the game some..

14 hours ago, Cutter said:

What I see is people here not valuing Brunk enough to be a starter. My opinion is he will be a starter most if not all year

over davis? hmmm. i've never really seen brunk play so i'll reserve judgement. however, i have seen a lot of deron and expect him to have his best season by far. if he loses his job to brunk that can only be a good thing

6 hours ago, coachv said:

over davis? hmmm. i've never really seen brunk play so i'll reserve judgement. however, i have seen a lot of deron and expect him to have his best season by far. if he loses his job to brunk that can only be a good thing

Agree.  Conflicting reports that Deron is in the best shape of his life, all slender and cut up.  Then saying Brunk is beating him out.  If both are true.  Count me happy.  

8 hours ago, coachv said:

I certainly hope that you're right, but I can't help thinking he's no where close to what he might have been due to all the physical issues he's been dealt.  I'm just very skeptical when it comes to Deron.  There's no excitement there for me.  Let's hope he makes me eat those words.

33 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Hmm, I’ll believe it when I see it I guess.  In today’s guard-oriented game, I think it would be a mistake to play him much at the 2, but I guess we’ll see.  

Not saying he will get much time at the 2, but he will get some. I remember archie and Jerome both talking about him playing the 2 when he first signed

2 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Hmm, I’ll believe it when I see it I guess.  In today’s guard-oriented game, I think it would be a mistake to play him much at the 2, but I guess we’ll see.  

I think to many people are worrying about position numbers but in today's game there are not that important.  As long as Hunter can handle the ball then I don't see why he couldn't play in the backcourt.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I think to many people are worrying about position numbers but in today's game they are not that important.  As long as Hunter can handle the ball then I don't see why he couldn't play in the backcourt.

Spot on. Even Coach has been quoted as saying his game is a game of mix and match.  And that his recruiting philosophy is going after players capable of playing more than one position

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Spot on. Even Coach has been quoted as saying his game is a game of mix and match.  And that his recruiting philosophy is going after players capable of playing more than one position

Hunter is a wing. He isn't a physical post player. He is kinda like Romeo in that he is a lean, long athlete. He can definitely play on the perimeter...although I think his best play is his quick turn around jumper from about 10-12 feet out with a man on his hip.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Hunter is a wing. He isn't a physical post player. He is kinda like Romeo in that he is a lean, long athlete. He can definitely play on the perimeter...although I think his best play is his quick turn around jumper from about 10-12 feet out with a man on his hip.

Agree.  I am salivating... waiting to see what Jerome can bring. 

It's nice to see all the different projected line ups you guys have. All make sense. I think it's a reflection on our depth. While no one projects Race to start, I sure hope Archie uses the depth to play Race, Anderson, and others more than just mop up minutes.

For the first few November games, I would hope he'd start Brunk and TJD over DeRon & Smith. Just to get them game experience and build confidence. Or...if he doesn't start them, at least let them have the majority of the minutes, not unlike NFL preseason games. It's a long season, and the more experience a player has, the better he should perform in the B1G.

After reading the JH article provided by milehi, I'm not as optimistic on JH being available to play significant minutes out of the gate. While I'd love for JH to come in and immediately "kick-ass", I just don't think that's feasible at this point. I'm sure Arch and staff want to bring him along with JH's best interest in mind. We're talking about a kid's life here, not just a few months of basketball.

I have no idea of what his medical issue was, but based on all the bits and pieces of info, it wasn't normal, nor was it minor.

10 minutes ago, DWB said:

After reading the JH article provided by milehi, I'm not as optimistic on JH being available to play significant minutes out of the gate. While I'd love for JH to come in and immediately "kick-ass", I just don't think that's feasible at this point. I'm sure Arch and staff want to bring him along with JH's best interest in mind. We're talking about a kid's life here, not just a few months of basketball.

I have no idea of what his medical issue was, but based on all the bits and pieces of info, it wasn't normal, nor was it minor.

The good thing is that our non conference schedule is a joke.  We won't really need JH until January.

Archived