Jerome Hunter

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

It matters for NCAA selection, but coming out of the gate losing doesn't help.

Balancing getting the team going, confidence building and working out the kinks with new offensive sets, etc., against the need for a tough schedule generally to help with tourney selection is an ongoing deal. Our overall schedule is going to end up fine, the B1G is deep on what should be tourney teams, the strength of schedule will come. Fretting over a relatively easy schedule early is a, imo, not warranted.

In general, I'd agree with you. Where the problem develops is that from year to year the selection committee changes their criteria. There have been years where SOS has mattered, where conference strength has had a part in the selections, and then years where neither matter and the only thing that mattered was the record. 

In normal years, I would view B1G basketball kind of like SEC football in that the conference is so difficult, making the non-conference schedule a little easier makes some sense. I don't think that will be the case this year. Not as hard in basketball to build a schedule based on team/league strengths, as compared to football where schedules are set years in advance.

Hopefully, we come out and play well and none of this will matter. We perform to where we want and we'll be a lock for the tournament

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

It matters for NCAA selection, but coming out of the gate losing doesn't help.

Balancing getting the team going, confidence building and working out the kinks with new offensive sets, etc., against the need for a tough schedule generally to help with tourney selection is an ongoing deal. Our overall schedule is going to end up fine, the B1G is deep on what should be tourney teams, the strength of schedule will come. Fretting over a relatively easy schedule early is a, imo, not warranted.

Wins over Louisville and Marquette didn’t help us out that much last year. It’s questionable at best how much.

32 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Wins over Louisville and Marquette didn’t help us out that much last year. It’s questionable at best how much.

This is just such a nonsensical argument... The wins over Marquette and Louisville were the ONLY reasons why we were even in the discussion to make the tournament in the first place.  After losing 12/13 straight conference games and going one-and-done in the conference tournament, we wouldn’t have even sniffed the bubble without those wins.  And the road losses to Duke and Arkansas didn’t hurt our resume either.  I know this is one of my favorite hills to die on, but I just don’t get why people can’t seem to understand this.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

This is just such a nonsensical argument... The wins over Marquette and Louisville were the ONLY reasons why we were even in the discussion to make the tournament in the first place.  After losing 12/13 straight conference games and going one-and-done in the conference tournament, we wouldn’t have even sniffed the bubble without those wins.  And the road losses to Duke and Arkansas didn’t hurt our resume either.  I know this is one of my favorite hills to die on, but I just don’t get why people can’t seem to understand this.

We had as many quad 1/2 wins as anyone on the bubble if not more and probably the best win (2 final four wins) and if not for an over the back an elite 8 team too. That losing streak came in the middle of the season we actually played well down the stretch...until Ohio St. They seed teams based on injuries all the time but we got no consideration for that during our losing streak. If we were close to being in I would say ok but I seem to remember we weren’t even first 4 out. It isn’t as cut and dry as it seems. I think a good mixture of tough out of conference is good but I’m not saying a young team like ours should play a gauntlet of ranked teams. You have to schedule based on what you expect to have...in a couple years I bet it gets tougher.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

We had as many quad 1/2 wins as anyone on the bubble if not more and probably the best win (2 final four wins) and if not for an over the back an elite 8 team too. That losing streak came in the middle of the season we actually played well down the stretch...until Ohio St. They seed teams based on injuries all the time but we got no consideration for that during our losing streak. If we were close to being in I would say ok but I seem to remember we weren’t even first 4 out. It isn’t as cut and dry as it seems. I think a good mixture of tough out of conference is good but I’m not saying a young team like ours should play a gauntlet of ranked teams. You have to schedule based on what you expect to have...in a couple years I bet it gets tougher.

Man I don’t know what planet you were on last year. We had a horrendous losing streak and basically everyone said we shouldn’t make it. Then we got it together late and won those several games in a row and we were close, whether it would’ve taken another 2 we were getting there but it was too little too late. We really didn’t deserve to get in after that horrendous losing streak, that’s just how it goes 

i still think in college bball any win is important rather than playing good teams and losing.  with our name and our conference, i don't care that much about our non conference schedule right now.  i want to win and get in the tourney.  when we are actually ready as a program to be top 10 contenders, then yeah, i'd like to play a tough non conference schedule to help prepare us.  

7 hours ago, dgambill said:

If we were close to being in I would say ok but I seem to remember we weren’t even first 4 out. It isn’t as cut and dry as it seems. 

We were a 1 seed in the NIT. That literally means we were a first 4 out team for the NCAA. Guess you can say ok now. 

What was it like 2 years ago when the conference had the fewest teams make the dance in a long time?   My years run together sorry.  Anyway... the B1G was terrible in pre conference games.   Rankings dropped for most and then conference season began.  Then all of a sudden there were only a couple teams that you played that could boost your strength of schedule.  End result was worthy teams left home in March.

The bubble is very unpredictable.  One year more wins gets you in.  The next less wins with quality wins makes it.   I'd much rather have the chance to win my way in playing quality opponents.   Plus the games are much more enjoyable to watch.  

So this Hunter kid is good right???

Go Hoosiers!!!

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i still think in college bball any win is important rather than playing good teams and losing.  with our name and our conference, i don't care that much about our non conference schedule right now.  i want to win and get in the tourney.  when we are actually ready as a program to be top 10 contenders, then yeah, i'd like to play a tough non conference schedule to help prepare us.  

Agree. As a fan I want us to have a tough non-conference because it’s more fun to see IU play UNC, UK, Louisville, etc., vs all the cupcake games. But as far as making the tournament, I really don’t think it matters much for IU. 

Playing in a conference like the BiG just means finish in the top 4-5, win 20+ games and you’re in. 

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

Agree. As a fan I want us to have a tough non-conference because it’s more fun to see IU play UNC, UK, Louisville, etc., vs all the cupcake games. But as far as making the tournament, I really don’t think it matters much for IU. 

Playing in a conference like the BiG just means finish in the top 4-5, win 20+ games and you’re in. 

And often finish in the top 7 in the B1G. 

31 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

Reserve power forward???  🤨🤔  If CAM would decide to play small ball for a short stretch maybe.  But I cant see putting JH in a position to literally get beat on constantly would make much sense.  Could he be used as a CWat type 4, possibly.

Good grief, the article has Justin Smith poised for the wing. Oh Lord. We've got forward depth, Hunter is not a 4, let alone a reserve power forward???? Yeah, maybe a stretch 4 like Wat, but much more likely, as a matter of just plain common sense, he's on the wing, as in his position, scoring from the perimeter and taking it to the rim.

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Good grief, the article has Justin Smith poised for the wing. Oh Lord. We've got forward depth, Hunter is not a 4, let alone a reserve power forward???? Yeah, maybe a stretch 4 like Wat, but much more likely, as a matter of just plain common sense, he's on the wing, as in his position, scoring from the perimeter and taking it to the rim.

Agree completely. The other thing I disagree with in the article is that there is no difference between the 2,3,4 in the offense and how those positions are used in 'positionless basketball'. 

It is true that in IU's offense the '4', really can just be called the forward, spends most of his time on the perimeter, but it is in a different role then the wings (2/3). In the offense our wings are creators, they're coming off ball screens to either shoot or attack and create offense. The forward "4 spot" is setting ball screens and then either diving to the rim or flaring out for open jumpers. The forward is finishing plays created by the guards and wings, where as the guards and wings are responsible for creating plays. 

While they're all on the perimeter to start these actions, the responsibilities and skill sets needed are much different. This is why Smith, without major improvements to ball handling, decision making and shooting, can't play the wing/3. Heck, he struggled last year with the perimeter responsibilities that come with playing the forward/4. 

Archived