Jerome Hunter

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Not sure. I would say though that anything that causes an 18 year old to miss a season of hoops, activity, being around teammates,etc.....will always be something that is closely monitored.

I'm just very happy for this kid. Like others have said...adding him to the TJD, Brunk, Franklin class is just huge. Big part of the puzzle for team balance and spacing on the court. 

Totally agree!

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The good.... We will have Jerome for another four years. As he is qualified for a medical redshirt.

The bad....  We never really got a chance to see what Jerome can bring to the team.

The ugly....  Though his condition is under control.  We may never know if any major bump, etc. may cause it to return again.

Prayers to a kid who loves the game. And was stolen from him last year.   Shades of Maurice Creek.

8 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

The good.... We will have Jerome for another four years. As he is qualified for a medical redshirt.

The bad....  We never really got a chance to see what Jerome can bring to the team.

The ugly....  Though his condition is under control.  We may never know if any major bump, etc. may cause it to return again.

Prayers to a kid who loves the game. And was stolen from him last year.   Shades of Maurice Creek.

I had a dentist who would have said Mo Creek had PPP - Pi$$ Poor Physiology. De’Ron seems to have a touch of that. 

Hopefully not true for Jerome. 

Just now, 13th&Jackson said:

I had a dentist who would have said Mo Creek had PPP - Pi$$ Poor Physiology. De’Ron seems to have a touch of that. 

In the fact that both Mo and De'Ron had and have more than their share of injuries as Hoosiers.  I would have to agree with your dentist. By the way.  My dentist is  grad of Indiana.  Yes... even in Colorado.  Can we say.... "Even Dentists love IUBB ? "  LOL

12 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

De’Ron’s biggest problem is that he just can’t get and stay in shape. If you’ll remember, he didn’t report to IU with the rest of the freshman his incoming year as he had to stay in Colorado and shore up an academic issue. He came in out of shape and behind the bell curve. I thought he looked his best as a sophomore until his freak achiles injury.

Davis probably should have been held out to start last year as he was back playing in less than 11 months which is pretty remarkable for that type of injury. But he had to play out of necessity due to lack of interior depth. Carrying that much weight while out of shape which Davis was led to a lot of stress on his lower extremities. It’s why he only averaged 10mpg with 5 DNP’s through the first 20 games. IU shut him down for 2 weeks and he was able to come back and play effectively for almost 20 mpg the last third of the season.

I don’t doubt Archie when he says Davis is in shape because it’s the first time in over a year where he’s been able to fully focus on getting in shape without rehabbing. 

De'Ron stayed back, prior to his freshman year.  Not due to academic troubles. But because, his course work did not include what was required for him to enter IU.  Not his fault. Different state. Different requirements.  Lay the blame on Crean and McClain for not doing their homework.

Also. He missed time at All Star games, due to injuries.  Which held him back when he finally arrived on campus.

I do question, whether or not De'Ron should have taken a redshirt last year.  However, I applaud him for his desire to return to the game, when others would have taken the year off, considered the type of injury... as well as the amount of weight he took off during rehab. 

Heart of a Hoosier. That's what I am talking about.   Looking to a huge year from De'Ron. 

42 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

De'Ron stayed back, prior to his freshman year.  Not due to academic troubles. But because, his course work did not include what was required for him to enter IU.  Not his fault. Different state. Different requirements.  Lay the blame on Crean and McClain for not doing their homework.

I would 1000% categorize that as an academic issue. I wasn’t taking a dig at him or anything, simply stating the obvious.

I think Jerome will really surprise people this year. He was going to be my X factor last year. I think his skills really translates well to this offense and Archie will be able to point to him as what top athletes can expect if they sign on to Indiana. On this current roster...he is the only NBA talent. That is how high I am on him. Just hope his health doesn’t rob him of that.

I’m happy to be optimistic, but Hunter is still working back to getting cleared for full contact, 40 minute B1G basketball, and then seeing whether he can withstand it.  I really, really hope it works out for him because his health can be a game changer for his opportunities as a player and person, and for the team at large. 

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’m happy to be optimistic, but Hunter is still working back to getting cleared for full contact, 40 minute B1G basketball, and then seeing whether he can withstand it.  I really, really hope it works out for him because his health can be a game changer for his opportunities as a player and person, and for the team at large. 

His health is absolutely key, but he also is, realistically, an NBA level talent. The kid is a baller/scorer/shooter with good defensive size and capability. By all accounts, he has been playing basically all summer.

He is formally cleared, and it's another level to play full contact with the team in full scrimmage mode, but this also is not a knee or ACL or similar structural issue that requires him to both fully heal and get over the mental side of an injury. It's purely a medical condition that should not in any way affect his athleticism, confidence, speed, etc. I think he's going to be really good.

18 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

His health is absolutely key, but he also is, realistically, an NBA level talent. The kid is a baller/scorer/shooter with good defensive size and capability. By all accounts, he has been playing basically all summer.

He is formally cleared, and it's another level to play full contact with the team in full scrimmage mode, but this also is not a knee or ACL or similar structural issue that requires him to both fully heal and get over the mental side of an injury. It's purely a medical condition that should not in any way affect his athleticism, confidence, speed, etc. I think he's going to be really good.

So, what you are saying is that his health is the word?😀

3 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

...and he's the player that Romeo told others back in New Albany was good...really good.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

...and he's the player that Romeo told others back in New Albany was good...really good.

Right. And won the Gold Jersey right before the diagnosis. There was a lot of internal talk about how well he was playing then in scrimmages. Have to think he'll be rusty, but optimistic that he'll bounce back well.

There seems to be some confusion.  Per Rabjohns, Hunter is not fully cleared to play in games.  He's progressing but this isn't a done deal yet.  When it comes to matters like this, an abundance of caution never hurt anyone.  We all hope he will be fine but he still has week to week hurdles to pass in his progression.

6 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

There seems to be some confusion.  Per Rabjohns, Hunter is not fully cleared to play in games.  He's progressing but this isn't a done deal yet.  When it comes to matters like this, an abundance of caution never hurt anyone.  We all hope he will be fine but he still has week to week hurdles to pass in his progression.

Not just Rabby. But, the great TDH posted on Aug. 27... that Jerome has not been fully cleared for games in November.

IU Basketball: Jerome Hunter Appears to be Trending in the Right Direction – The Daily Hoosier

29 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

There really isn't any confusion here. He is not fully cleared to play "in games." He has been cleared to practice etc. Of course the U is taking this slowly and is going to make sure he's absolutely good before officially clearing him for games (or full bore contact or "official" clearance generally). But by all behind the scenes accounts, he's fine. (I see I used language "formally cleared" above. Don't sweat it.)

Think this has already been posted, but from CAM on 8/27:

Miller said that redshirt freshman Jerome Hunter finished Indiana’s summer program and “pretty much” participate in everything the team did. Miller said Hunter had “very little” in terms of setbacks, but also said that it was less intense in terms of what the team will do when the season actually starts. Miller also said that Hunter is “cleared to do everything he can do with us,” but also said it is also a “wait and see, day by day, week by week as we add things” to see what Hunter can handle. https://www.insidethehall.com/2019/08/28/notes-and-quotes-from-archie-millers-tuesday-media-availability/

So, fwiw, he is "cleared to do everything he can do with" the team. He's fine.

18 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I read the quotes already.  I will repeat that he's not fully cleared to play in games.  He's week to week.  Jumping the gun and misleading folks is not helpful in medical situations.  

You are absolutely right and wise in saying so in my opinion. I had guessed Brunk to play 30 minutes a game dgmail and coach ss disagree and they are probably right. I had high expectations last year and ended up very disappointed at the end of the year. I was jumping the gun last year and started to with the Brunk speculation from the great work ethic and leadership I have read about. But I will follow the very cautious approach with expectations from now on. Most of this has come from Knights tenure of having high expectations fulfilled most of the time. It’s hard to believe the last 20 years of IU basketball. I sure hope Archie turns the corner in 2 or 3 more years

Archived