Best of each State lists for foodies, and other food lists!

2 hours ago, Drroogh said:

So once again in the discussion, under the many California links above is In-N-Out. Flying out tomorrow to have Thanksgiving with the Grand Kids. I am going to have to highly suggest we stop at In-N-Out so that Grandpa can experience one of California's most famous foods. Or maybe if we can find our way to Pink's! Kind of like when I was in Chicago for my Son and Daughter-in-laws wedding, going to Portillo's!😀 

Three great places. Two in California.  Have a safe and Happy T-day !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Drroogh said:

So once again in the discussion, under the many California links above is In-N-Out. Flying out tomorrow to have Thanksgiving with the Grand Kids. I am going to have to highly suggest we stop at In-N-Out so that Grandpa can experience one of California's most famous foods. Or maybe if we can find our way to Pink's! Kind of like when I was in Chicago for my Son and Daughter-in-laws wedding, going to Portillo's!😀 

Double Double animal style, well done fries, vanilla shake.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2019 at 11:47 AM, milehiiu said:

Drroogh has been doing a fantastic job with this thread.

Not sure if we have done this one yet :

The Most Expensive Restaurants in Every State

Thanks mile for the input during the Thanksgiving doldrums! Unfortunately, they are way out of my price range! 😕Really do appreciate though, everything you do here! I think of you as a close friend!

More in my price range. Most charming old fashioned diner of each state!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/the-most-charming-old-fashioned-diner-in-every-state/ss-BBXF74R?ocid=spartandhp

Edited by Drroogh

47 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Thanks mile for the input during the Thanksgiving doldrums! Unfortunately, they are way out of my price range! 😕Really do appreciate though, everything you do here! I think of you as a close friend!

More in my price range. Most charming old fashioned diner of each state!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/the-most-charming-old-fashioned-diner-in-every-state/ss-BBXF74R?ocid=spartandhp

Thank you for your very kind words. I think highly of all you do for our site as well.   And equally, also consider you among my many HSN friends.  I am blessed.

And.....there you go with another great contribution !

Oh. And almost forgot.  Sam's for Colorado has been around for years. Three locations. We go to the one in Aurora, Colorado.  And it is great. With a menu that is several pages long. Breakfast, lunch or dinner. Does not matter what time of day.  They will serve you anything on the menu any time of day.

Edited by milehiiu
  • Like 1

On 11/27/2019 at 11:47 AM, milehiiu said:

Drroogh has been doing a fantastic job with this thread.

Not sure if we have done this one yet :

The Most Expensive Restaurants in Every State

I'll be damned.  I've been to one of those.  Well, sort of..

I knew Jeff Ruby opened a location in Louisville.  Haven't been to that location, but have been to Jeff Ruby Cincinnati and The Precinct several times (once for an anniversary, the rest on the company dime....only way to do it). 

Pricey? Oh lord yes.  Figure a Franklin minimum per person.  Worth it? Easily the best steak I've had in my life.  Atmosphere and the menu is complete old-school NYC/Chicago steakhouse.  You're not getting a couple ounces of some designer organic "Insert Cool Trendy Name here" slices scattered on a plate that is filled up with stuff the cow would have eaten.  You're getting nice big hunks of aged, USDA prime beef. 

Not necessarily a best of state.  But rather best peanut butter. Inspired by posts in the general basketball thread.

35 Top Peanut Butter Brands Ranked for Nutrition

Been a Skippy Creamy fan since childhood. Some six decades, plus now.  Wife is an Adams Natural Crunchy fan. Needless to say. We are a two peanut butter family.

What's your favorite peanut butter, and style ?

3 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Anything natural and chunky. Only brand I've not liked much is skippy.  

Liked the peanut butter and crackers they put in mre's good lightweight snack when hunting, fishing, or hiking.  Plus, somebody had to eat up the Y2K supply before it expired. 

Yeah. When I was young, there were not many alternatives to Skippy.  Something I have never given up.  Though I realize there are better choices out there now.

20 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Yeah. When I was young, there were not many alternatives to Skippy.  Something I have never given up.  Though I realize there are better choices out there now.

It's amazing how many more options their are for anything today. Potato chips especially annoy me. Here I am trying to be healthier and any flavor imaginable comes in a bag. I stay away but chips are my kryptonite.

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

It's amazing how many more options their are for anything today. Potato chips especially annoy me. Here I am trying to be healthier and any flavor imaginable comes in a bag. I stay away but chips are my kryptonite.

Stay out of the snack isle at the grocery store !   Only problem with that, is that is where they keep the nuts. Which are a healthy snack. 

12 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Please remember that this is the holiday season. Pumpkin pie counts as a vegetable.

On 12/20/2019 at 5:01 AM, Drroogh said:

Some degree of subjectivity is involved in articles like this, but they're straight up wrong on their Kentucky selection. Because the best grilled cheese in this commonwealth comes from my kitchen.

Cast iron pan. Medium high heat. Let warm for 5 mins. Preheat oven to 450.

Thick cut Sourdough. Spread cream cheese on the inside of each piece. Fill with one slice each of American, Swiss and Mozzarella (or Muenster/Havarti for a more sophisticated audience. But let's get real....90% of the time you're making grilled cheese, it's either for kids or drunk adults, so sophisticated can take a hike.)

Cover the outside of each piece with butter....the real stuff (get outta here with that margarine #$&%). Griddle each side until golden brown. Place skillet in preheated oven for 2-3 minutes.

Cut. Eat. Pairs well with damn near anything.

Caution: can be habit forming. Not good for cardiovascular system.  Eat more than one and you may not #$&% for 3-4 days.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Some degree of subjectivity is involved in articles like this, but they're straight up wrong on their Kentucky selection. Because the best grilled cheese in this commonwealth comes from my kitchen.

Cast iron pan. Medium high heat. Let warm for 5 mins. Preheat oven to 450.

Thick cut Sourdough. Spread cream cheese on the inside of each piece. Fill with one slice each of American, Swiss and Mozzarella (or Muenster/Havarti for a more sophisticated audience. But let's get real....90% of the time you're making grilled cheese, it's either for kids or drunk adults, so sophisticated can take a hike.)

Cover the outside of each piece with butter....the real stuff (get outta here with that margarine #$&%). Griddle each side until golden brown. Place skillet in preheated oven for 2-3 minutes.

Cut. Eat. Pairs well with damn near anything.

Caution: can be habit forming. Not good for cardiovascular system.  Eat more than one and you may not #$&% for 3-4 days.

Sounds like a great grilled cheese! If only the writer had known. Tell you what, send me one and I will vote you best in the nation!😎

21 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Well, they did have my all time favorite...The Italian sub from White House Subs in Atlantic City, NJ. I've introduced many people to this place...not a very big place, the line is always out the door, and it's not in a great neighborhood, but everyone I've ever taken there wants to go back...if you like it spicy, get the "wet hots" on it...

Screenshot_20191224-162249.png

• Like 1

On 12/24/2019 at 4:02 PM, Drroogh said:

Now I will take exception to their citing Philip's Steaks as the Kingpin of cheese steaks in Philly.

Travel there often, and use to be every time a local told me about "the best cheese steak in Philly" I'd try it.

After a while, I determined the the 2 biggest names in Philly cheese steak, Pat's King of Steak and Geno's, which actually sit on opposite corners of the X shaped intersection at 9th and Passyunk are my favorites. They became famous for a reason. Plus, if you're lucky enough to be around when someone comes to either one of their windows and don't know what they want, it can be quite entertaining. I always go to whichever one has the shortest line...

I had people tell me the same thing about BBQ in Kansas City when I said I wanted to go to Arthur Bryant's. Like I said, the place got famous for a reason...and didn't disappoint me at all..

Screenshot_20191226-090605.png

Edited by IUFLA