foodies thread, and other food lists!

2 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I get you, the vast majority of non franchise truck stop food is not that great! Have to say though, there are exceptions! Like the best Mexican outside of Atlanta is in a truck stop near Newnan GA. Also, for me where I live since ALLL the resteraunt' s around think catfish is the ONLY seafood, I regularly visit a truck stop for their Grouper Basket!   

Oh I know. I just never pass up a chance to make a West Virginia joke. Hey, I live in Kentucky. Legally, we're only allowed to make fun of West Virginia, Arkansas, Mississippi and Alabama (if it's not college football season on the latter).

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Oh I know. I just never pass up a chance to make a West Virginia joke. Hey, I live in Kentucky. Legally, we're only allowed to make fun of West Virginia, Arkansas, Mississippi and Alabama (if it's not college football season on the latter).

I had to get myself up off the floor laughing after that! Well played sir!

I know when I first moved to GA I was flabbergasted at how brutal Georgia residents were to Alabama people, and even more so in that it seemed like their only defense was "well at least I'm not from Mississippi!" Of course most of the brutality was done in fun!

Edited by Drroogh

On 11/4/2019 at 5:16 PM, Drroogh said:

Harley's in Littleton, Colorado is really good. And in addition to having a large selection of off the wall hot dogs.... he will allow you to make your own, off of what he has available.  No extra charge.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Bucket List Food Experience in each State

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/bucket-list-food-experiences-in-every-state/ss-AAFqces?ocid=spartanntp

Mile they have your Rocky Mountain Oysters listed for Montana! However, Colorado trout sounds pretty good!

Kansas gets credit for the massive, 3X outside the bun pork tenderloin, while the Hoosier state gets hung with pudding from some persimmon festival!?!?

Sacrilege!

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/bucket-list-food-experiences-in-every-state/ss-AAFqces?ocid=spartanntp

Mile they have your Rocky Mountain Oysters listed for Montana! However, Colorado trout sounds pretty good!

That's funny about Rocky Mountain Oysters. But makes sense for Montana. When done right, Rocky Mountain Oysters are really good.

The restaurant they have listed for Rocky Mountain Trout, in Frisco, is a place I have been to several times for lunch.

Currently have several Rocky Mountain Trout caught by my son, in the freezer right now.

Lastly.  Iowa.  Maid Rite. Loose meat sandwiches.  Used to have one close to my house, here in Colorado. Sad, when it closed. Now... I make them at home. 

20 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Kansas gets credit for the massive, 3X outside the bun pork tenderloin, while the Hoosier state gets hung with pudding from some persimmon festival!?!?

Sacrilege!

As a connoisseur of massive pork tenderloins this offends me. Really thought indiana would have that. 

I've had the persimmon pudding and while good isn't something I would consider bucket list. 

37 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Seems I have a few of these checked off.  But I am staying away from South Carolina.  

9 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

How about Mississippi? By the way the main ingredient in Chitlins also encases your favorite Hot Dog! Just saying. 😄

When I was traveling around Louisiana I got some fresh chitlins from a gas station thinking they were the same as pork rinds. Was not a fan. Wasnt until watching bizarre foods a few years later that I learned what it was. 

I can do sausages but eating them straight they are a bit too barnyard tasting for me. 

1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

When I was traveling around Louisiana I got some fresh chitlins from a gas station thinking they were the same as pork rinds. Was not a fan. Wasnt until watching bizarre foods a few years later that I learned what it was. 

I can do sausages but eating them straight they are a bit too barnyard tasting for me. 

Have to say living in Georgia nearly twenty years have never tried them, so I will take you word. Of course I still don't do boiled peanuts, or collard greens either! Also, not going to try the Mississippi pig ear sandwich!

On 11/7/2019 at 4:02 PM, Drroogh said:

What does it say about me that I’ve never been to any of the places on any of these lists until now and I’ve actually been to 3 of the best dive bars in the country.  The Nob Hill Inn has decent food for lunch, never went for drinks. I think Bears Place up in Evergreen is the best dive bar I’ve been to in Colorado.  The Cactus bar in Boise was just as described, I had a good time with good people. Finally,  The Matador was a welcome respite from the oddly uppity people in Santa Fe.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SteveS said:

What does it say about me that I’ve never been to any of the places on any of these lists until now and I’ve actually been to 3 of the best dive bars in the country.  The Nob Hill Inn has decent food for lunch, never went for drinks. I think Bears Place up in Evergreen is the best dive bar I’ve been to in Colorado.  The Cactus bar in Boise was just as described, I had a good time with good people. Finally,  The Matador was a welcome respite from the oddly uppity people in Santa Fe.

God Love you Steve!

On 11/8/2019 at 7:00 PM, Drroogh said:

Have to say living in Georgia nearly twenty years have never tried them, so I will take you word. Of course I still don't do boiled peanuts, or collard greens either! Also, not going to try the Mississippi pig ear sandwich!

Collard greens, much like any other green, can actually be made edible with copious amounts of bacon grease, onions and vinegar. 

9 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Collard greens, much like any other green, can actually be made edible with copious amounts of bacon grease, onions and vinegar. 

I've also heard they stink to High Heaven while they are cooking! Maybe, I'll just have a helping of bacon onions and vinegar and call it good! Actually in the right proportions that sounds kind of good!

10 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

New list, I don't know how they keep coming up with them? Actually I've even skipped a few!

Anyway, Best Pasta  bowl in each State

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/restaurantsandnews/the-best-bowl-of-pasta-in-every-state/ss-AAIDO5n?ocid=spartandhp

Keep them coming. I am loving this thread.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Per your wish mile!

Best Burger and Fries joint in your State! Have to say this one is making me hungry and I will have to try some of the unusual combinations in here!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/restaurantsandnews/the-best-burger-and-fries-joint-in-your-state/ss-BBWHPjG?ocid=spartandhp

Thanks.

It's been a number of years. However I do believe I had a burger in that joint in Alaska.  Know for sure I have had a burger in the joint in Arkansas.  And have stopped on the way home from Wyoming football games in  the joint in Fort Collins, Colorado.   Three great burger joints.

• Like 1

The Official State Foods of each State! What's up with Colorado mile, no official state food? You need to get on that!😀

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/united-states-of-food-official-state-foods/ss-BBWHQxC

And even though it is not an official state food Indiana's Pork Tenderloin get's some love!

Rico, you have to Love Minnesota with Morel's as the State Mushroom and Walleye's as the official State fish!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

The Official State Foods of each State! What's up with Colorado mile, no official state food? You need to get on that!😀

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/united-states-of-food-official-state-foods/ss-BBWHQxC

And even though it is not an official state food Indiana's Pork Tenderloin get's some love!

Rico, you have to Love Minnesota with Morel's as the State Mushroom and Walleye's as the official State fish!

They must have left it up to me to nominate the Colorado State Food.   And the nomination goes to Buffalo !  Truly. Buffalo Steak.  Great taste. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

They must have left it up to me to nominate the Colorado State Food.   And the nomination goes to Buffalo !  Truly. Buffalo Steak.  Great taste. 

Okay, after that glowing proclamation I may have to visit the Ted's Montana Grill in the city where I work! Which cut do you recommend Brisket or Short Rib?