foodies thread, and other food lists!

4 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Was in Maine last summer, my preference was the hot roll cooked with butter, but the regular with mayo was great as well! Also try the blueberry pie!

And from what I've seen/heard, it's basically an entire lobster's worth of meat shoved in that tiny little roll.  Same end result as eating a fresh steamed lobster, but no assembly required.  Accurate?

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Italian Beef in Chicago, Pork Tenderloin Sammich in Indiana, Maid-Rite in Iowa, burnt ends in KC, Hot Brown in Kentucky, Skyline #-way in Ohio.....

Yep, solid list, and I can vouch for all of the above.  Interestingly, that list also has two of my food bucket list items: pastrami from Katz's in NYC and an actual Maine lobster roll. 

I can vouch for a couple more...

The Juicy Lucy at Matt's (or 5/8 Club) in Minneapolis is great. Word of caution...never bite into it in the first few minutes of them putting in down in front of you, unless you like molten cheese scalding your mouth and chin...

And Franklin's BBQ in Austin is as advertised...I waited 2 hours in line, but it was the best (turkey and brisket) I've ever had

Oh, and they do have a Katz's deli down here in The Woodlands, Texas. Had breakfast there Monday. Lox and onions in scrambled eggs. My wife got the spinach frittata that had the pastrami on it, but she picked it off and offered it to me...

Silly girl...

Edited by IUFLA

42 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Oh, and they do have a Katz's deli down here in The Woodlands, Texas. Had breakfast there Monday. Lox and onions in scrambled eggs. My wife got the spinach frittata that had the pastrami on it, but she picked it off and offered it to me...

A) 5fouls has divorced for less than that

B) Speaking of Houston delis, ever been down to Kenny & Ziggy's near Galleria?

7 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Speaking of Houston delis, ever been down to Kenny & Ziggy's near Galleria?

No, we rarely go south of the Sam Houston Parkway (highway 8), but wife's been after me to take her to the Galleria, and we both love deli food, so I'll put it on the list...

19 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

From Kenny and Ziggy's menu...

GIVE ME LIVERTY OR GIVE ME SCHMALTZ!
 Triple decker, chopped liver & pastrami
 w/tomato & russian dressing

Oh hell yes...

There's a bio-documentary called Deli Man done about the owner, Ziggy Gruber.  Should be on Netflix/Amazon Prime.  Worth a watch. 

By all reviews, it may be the best deli outside of NYC in the country. 

I've been to Houston several times, but it's always been on quick business trips.  Never made it down there, and now that my corporate HQ is Dallas, I'm kicking myself for not going.

On 1/7/2020 at 6:57 AM, IUFLA said:

They missed out on Illinois...The Bristol Tap in Bristol, Illinois has one of the best burgers I've ever had. Nothing fancy, just good meat cooked right and seasoned correctly...

And it doesn't get any holier-in-the-wall than that place...seats about 50 people, no kids allowed, cash only, popcorn machine while you wait for your order, and the only 2 draft beer choices are Busch and Busch Light...

Used to be Hamm's and Hamm's Light, but they upgraded 😁

Small world. I used tolive in Sugar Grove and my neighbor raved about that place. I never made it there. :(

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

Small world. I used tolive in Sugar Grove and my neighbor raved about that place. I never made it there. :(

Ah, I lived in Montgomery from 2004 to 2012, about a mile west of the Caterpillar plant...use to drive through Sugar Grove all the time when I took my daughter to the horse barn she was riding at at the time...or when I was going up to Ream's Meat Market in Elburn. Best brats on the planet.

23 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Ah, I lived in Montgomery from 2004 to 2012, about a mile west of the Caterpillar plant...use to drive through Sugar Grove all the time when I took my daughter to the horse barn she was riding at at the time...or when I was going up to Ream's Meat Market in Elburn. Best brats on the planet.

Good times. I took my kids to fireworks in Elburn because they were on the Sunday night a few days away from the 4th to get a cheaper show. Kids loved a second fireworks show.

They have a massive sports complex over there (Montgomery) now thats pretty cool. Kids come from all over the midwest for soccer tournaments and such. Not sure if it was open when you were there. 

Lived there from about 2000-2008 IIRC so I would have overlapped with you. To bad we never met up to watch some IU games! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

YOU just keep bringing it.  And I love it.

Only thing better for Indiana, is if they had named the Hinkle's in B-town. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

For my $ the closest one to Hinkle's for Indy area folks is Working Man's Tavern. Great, great burgers on the cheap. Cash only though and must be 21. Go early though....gets packed and if you aren't a burger guy...tenderloins usually sell out by 1 or 130. West Side gem. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Stop it.  Just stop it.  You are killing me !

Been to Nibbles in Eureka Springs, Arkansas.

By the way, if any HSNer ever gets to Arkansas.  I highly recommend stopping in Eureka Springs.  Neat, neat town.  Take a tour of the underground tunnels.  We got to dinner one night in the basement of a hotel, getting there, underground.  Amazing.

Underground Eureka Springs: Where Basements Have Basements | Only In Arkansas

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Sorry mile the lists keep coming!🙂 Best Chicken sandwich in each State

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/restaurantsandnews/the-best-chicken-sandwich-in-every-state/ss-BBYPGfy?ocid=spartandhp

What no Popeyes? 😁

Don't apologize. I am loving this thread. And all you are bringing to it.

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

Best bowl of soup in each state 

They sure do like Asian in this list especially Vietnamese 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/restaurantsandnews/the-best-bowl-of-soup-in-every-state/ss-BBZbcPW?li=BBnb7Kz#image=1

I love Pho. No reason for me to go to the one listed for Colorado. As there are three Pho restaurants, less than two miles from my house.  In fact, I have it delivered to my house.   As well as two great Ramen places.

Edited by milehiiu