foodies thread, and other food lists!

Somehow, I thought we already did this one! However, going back through the previous pages which I enjoyed very much, here is the Best Resteraunt Buffet in each State!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/restaurantsandnews/the-best-restaurant-buffet-in-every-state/ss-BBPGmP1?ocid=spartandhp

Have to say the GA choice is only a block away from my cardiologists office, I wonder if he would recommend it? 😄

30 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Somehow, I thought we already did this one! However, going back through the previous pages which I enjoyed very much, here is the Best Resteraunt Buffet in each State!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/restaurantsandnews/the-best-restaurant-buffet-in-every-state/ss-BBPGmP1?ocid=spartandhp

Have to say the GA choice is only a block away from my cardiologists office, I wonder if he would recommend it? 😄

Actually have to say, this is one of the more interesting lists yet! I am a huge fan of ethnic cuisine, and it seems many of these selections are ethnic, not your traditional American buffet selection!

55 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

OMG.  Hard for me to believe they did not list the Bacchanal as the best buffet in Nevada.  And for me, the Sunday  Stirling Buffet at Bally's runs a close second.  Both pricey. But worth every penny. 

Been to  Amish Buffets in Indiana and Ohio. Which were very good.  Family style. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Drroogh said:

By the way Rico, in acceptance of your challenge, can't wait for my order of Skyline,  Gold Star and Steak and Shake chili cans from Amazon so I can tell you MY chili is superior!! :cheers:

You left out Dixie Chili.

I'm a non-native Cincinnatian, so I have no dog in that fight.

18 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

A Pat's vs Geno's debate makes the Skyline vs Gold Star arguments I've witnessed seem downright civil....and I've seen blood spilled over that.

#philly #dodgethebatteries

Yes it can be something...like I said, I go to the one with the shortest line, get my "whiz wit" and enjoy...

About a year ago a first timer was in front of me at Pat's...gets up to the window still looking at the menu and tells the guy taking the orders, "I'm still deciding." And pointing to the corner the guy says, "well go decide over there. The guy behind you looks hungry."

For the record, although I love Steak and Shake chili by itself, I'm a Skyline 4 way (no beans) guy if we're going Cincinnati style...

12 hours ago, Drroogh said:

I'm surprised so many were Indian food.  Someone would have to curry me out the door.

Also surprised Ethiopians have enough food to put a buffet together. JK.😁

11 hours ago, milehiiu said:

OMG.  Hard for me to believe they did not list the Bacchanal as the best buffet in Nevada.  And for me, the Sunday  Stirling Buffet at Bally's runs a close second.  Both pricey. But worth every penny. 

Been to  Amish Buffets in Indiana and Ohio. Which were very good.  Family style. 

If the Amish were being honest their buffets would include mountain dew, hot pockets, frozen pizza, doritos, and ice cream. 

There are some good family style amish buffets but watching these people grocery shop is interesting.

Edited by mrflynn03

6 hours ago, Drroogh said:

The Best French Fry Resteraunt in each State. I think three of my arteries shut down just reading it!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/restaurantsandnews/the-best-french-fry-restaurant-in-every-state/ss-BBY3F65?ocid=spartanntp

This is one of those cases where trends can take over. Every one of those places had "designer" fries. Which I like as well as anyone.

But what's becoming a lost art is just a good old fashioned French fry, and making it good. Taters, salt, oil. Done.

But doing it well is harder than you'd think.

On 12/26/2019 at 6:42 PM, Drroogh said:

By the way Rico, in acceptance of your challenge, can't wait for my order of Skyline,  Gold Star and Steak and Shake chili cans from Amazon so I can tell you MY chili is superior!! :cheers:

Remind me to NEVER ask someone from Cincinnati for food advice! It may have something to do with coming in a can?  As for my choice between the  two Skyline easily! Although the Skyline had a definite nutmeg flavor which I don't care for. The Goldstar was just NASTY as far as I'm concerned I ended up pulling what was left of the dog out and eating it while throwing the bun with chili away! The Steak and Shake is way better than the SL GS versions!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Remind me to NEVER ask someone from Cincinnati for food advice! It may have something to do with coming in a can?  As for my choice between the  two Skyline easily! Although the Skyline had a definite nutmeg flavor which I don't care for. The Goldstar was just NASTY as far as I'm concerned I ended up pulling what was left of the dog out and eating it while throwing the bun with chili away! The Steak and Shake is way better than the SL GS versions!

Whoa, I never said I liked the Cincinnati chilis.  I am perfectly happy with Steak&Shake or even Wendy's.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

The can't miss resteraunt in each state.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/restaurantsandnews/the-one-cant-miss-restaurant-in-every-state/ss-BBYiIvW?ocid=spartanntp

Haven't gone through it yet but I'm guessing the subjectivity will bring some complaints!

Not surprised with Indiana's...but in my neck of the woods I recommend "The Sleepy Owl" in Syracuse.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Drroogh said:

We've had hole-in the-wall fried chicken, now the best hole-in-the-wall burger Joint in each state.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/restaurantsandnews/best-hole-in-the-wall-burger-joint-in-every-state/ss-AAK1Pzp?ocid=spartandhp

They missed out on Illinois...The Bristol Tap in Bristol, Illinois has one of the best burgers I've ever had. Nothing fancy, just good meat cooked right and seasoned correctly...

And it doesn't get any holier-in-the-wall than that place...seats about 50 people, no kids allowed, cash only, popcorn machine while you wait for your order, and the only 2 draft beer choices are Busch and Busch Light...

Used to be Hamm's and Hamm's Light, but they upgraded 😁

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 3:50 PM, Drroogh said:

We were told by friends that when in Skagway, Alaska... we HAD to try Olivia's Bistro.  However, when we got there, the line was out the door, and stretched for half a block. When told it would be and hour and one half wait, at best. We opted for a great place with an out door deck that hung over the passage.  Disappointed that we were not able to get into Olivia's.  But thrilled with the alternative.

Edited by milehiiu

On 1/7/2020 at 7:57 AM, IUFLA said:

They missed out on Illinois...The Bristol Tap in Bristol, Illinois has one of the best burgers I've ever had. Nothing fancy, just good meat cooked right and seasoned correctly...

And it doesn't get any holier-in-the-wall than that place...seats about 50 people, no kids allowed, cash only, popcorn machine while you wait for your order, and the only 2 draft beer choices are Busch and Busch Light...

Used to be Hamm's and Hamm's Light, but they upgraded 😁

When Busch is an "upgrade"....oy.

Could they not get Blatz in large enough quantities?

• Haha 1

The BEST thing to eat in every State!

I think their methodology is sound and I like the list so far. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/restaurantsandnews/the-absolute-best-thing-to-eat-in-every-state/ss-BBYchxv?ocid=spartandhp

While you're on the first slide you might want to check out the link to the most 'Iconic' dishes in America 101 pretty darn good looking food dishes!

Even though I just finished eating I'm getting hungry again!

Edited by Drroogh

16 hours ago, Drroogh said:

The BEST thing to eat in every State!

I think their methodology is sound and I like the list so far.

Italian Beef in Chicago, Pork Tenderloin Sammich in Indiana, Maid-Rite in Iowa, burnt ends in KC, Hot Brown in Kentucky, Skyline #-way in Ohio.....

Yep, solid list, and I can vouch for all of the above.  Interestingly, that list also has two of my food bucket list items: pastrami from Katz's in NYC and an actual Maine lobster roll. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Italian Beef in Chicago, Pork Tenderloin Sammich in Indiana, Maid-Rite in Iowa, burnt ends in KC, Hot Brown in Kentucky, Skyline #-way in Ohio.....

Yep, solid list, and I can vouch for all of the above.  Interestingly, that list also has two of my food bucket list items: pastrami from Katz's in NYC and an actual Maine lobster roll. 

Was in Maine last summer, my preference was the hot roll cooked with butter, but the regular with mayo was great as well! Also try the blueberry pie!