Interview with Fred....

53 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

This statement always cracks me up.  If Archie had come in, won the Big Ten, and went on a tournament run within his first two years, the entire fanbase would be crowing about how he’s the next legendary coach at IU.  But because he’s come in and had two bad years, everyone wants to say “we don’t have a clue one way or the other.”  It’s still too early to draw a final conclusion, but two years is more than enough time to “get a clue.”

It's like our fans don't remember Mike Davis. We enjoyed and loved the run but any and everybody including himself knew Davis wasn't the guy. 

29 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Pushing back a little here. This horse has been flogged to death. Curb stomped. Burned. And then the ashes kicked around the driveway.

Year 2 of a new coach, who was coaching the prior, fired coach's players, is not enough time, generally. Then there's the again flogged to death point that we were at 12-2 before the rails came off -- with multiple injuries and absences of key players, and a pretty well documented locker room chemistry problem.

It generally takes a few years, including to allow the new coach to bring in his players and implement his system. Jury's out, as it should be.

Again, it goes both ways.  Would you “have no clue” whether Archie was cut out to be the coach at IU if he had contended in the Big Ten in his first two years?  Of course not — you’d be pretty positive he’s the guy, just like we all would.  In the same vein, people aren’t wrong to question whether he’s the guy after two bad years.

Like I said, of course it’s too early to make a final conclusion.  I know all the explanations for why his tenure’s been underwhelming so far.  But the fact of the matter is, the early returns just haven’t been great.  Next season will go a long way toward determining his future at IU. 

3 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

This statement always cracks me up.  If Archie had come in, won the Big Ten, and went on a tournament run within his first two years, the entire fanbase would be crowing about how he’s the next legendary coach at IU.  But because he’s come in and had two bad years, everyone wants to say “we don’t have a clue one way or the other.”  It’s still too early to draw a final conclusion, but two years is more than enough time to “get a clue.”

I don't think you are correct unless you thought Davis was a legendary coach after two years but I don't remember anyone saying that after his first two years.  I just don't think you can come to a conclusion either way after two years.  Kevin Ollie won big his first couple of years but lost his job a few years later.

3 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

In his narcissism, he claims credit for building facilities. Well, two things were in play there.  One, IUs facilities were in bad shape.  It didn’t take any particular insight to work on capital projects.  Second, the B1G money came pouring in to pay for facilities.  That money would be there whether Fred Glass had ever been born or not.  Literally, anybody in that position could have achieved the building projects. Talk about being handed something on a silver platter.  

On this point in particular, I disagree.  It has been discussed here previously that much if not all of the B1G money was taken by the University for upgrading/building academic facilities on campus.  I also know a number of people who will tell you that Fred is a fantastic fund raiser. 

4 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Glass is one of the strangest birds you will ever see. There’s something in his thought process that’s very bizarre.  It’s some combination of narcissism and lack of self awareness. It’s not just his eccentric style of speech.  In the dictionary, under bloviating there’s undoubtedly a photo of Glass.  The word fits him perfectly. 

Remember he’s the guy who seems to be pulling in $1 M but publicly bragged how it was a substantial pay cut from his Baker and Daniels draw.  It might be true but it’s a strange thing to brag about as a public employee and where the typical fan is working his or her ass off for  under six figures.  

He’s the guy that’s removed the names from the football jerseys.  Not from Michigan or Penn State.  But from a school working to stimulate fan interest.  This isn’t like basketball where the fans recognize the players, their moms and and their dogs.  It was idiotic. 

He is the guy who turned down a home NIT game.  I have no idea how the revenue was worked out but it’s kind of an unprecedented move.  

The Kevin Wilson thing was very serious.  First, he hired him to begin with.  Then,  he had received information on Wilson’s pattern of abuse and, unbelievably, extended him anyway despite the heads up.  Then he fired him for doing exactly what he had been doing before.  It wasn’t a new pattern.  This is fairly incompetent leadership.  He ran a 20 minute search and hired Tom Allen.  

There were charges of systemic abuse and poor procedures by trainers across other sports as outlined by an ESPN Outside the Lines report.  This indicates a top down problem. 

In his narcissism, he claims credit for building facilities. Well, two things were in play there.  One, IUs facilities were in bad shape.  It didn’t take any particular insight to work on capital projects.  Second, the B1G money came pouring in to pay for facilities.  That money would be there whether Fred Glass had ever been born or not.  Literally, anybody in that position could have achieved the building projects. Talk about being handed something on a silver platter.  

He is happy to take credit for baseball, women’s b-ball and Lily King. If you do that, you have to take heat for the main revenue sports being mired in slumps.  

As is well documented, Fred was in charge of the basketball situation that led to what he dubs as a rebuild.  He gave Crean a mystifyingly fast extension with a bad buyout situation. Essentially you can look at Glass as creating the situation that led to the rebuild.   

And I agree with the comments above about his passive aggressive attitude toward Indiana fans. 

I think IU athletics will get on track after Glass, McRobbie and much of the Board is gone.  There is way too much elitism and arrogance in their thought processes.  Meanwhile, Michigan State, Purdue, etc are happy with our situation.   In the meantime, I will support the coaches and players and hope for the best as I always do.  But let’s not pretend there’s anything in our administration that’s helping.  

One damn fine post Bob.  

Some of what is being said is based on the populist political jargon du jour i.e. "elitism and arrogance". And ..."meanwhile, Michigan State, Purdue, etc are happy with our situation...."? I assume you've read about MSU's athletic department issues the past couple of years? Through all of IUMBB's ups (and mostly downs) since 2012-13, we still have the same number of titles as both PU and MSU (programs with coaching stability). Does Glass (or McRobbie) deserve some blame for the inconsistency? For sure. But we have spent a lot of money and Glass is raising a lot too. 

13 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

Some of what is being said is based on the populist political jargon du jour i.e. "elitism and arrogance". And ..."meanwhile, Michigan State, Purdue, etc are happy with our situation...."? I assume you've read about MSU's athletic department issues the past couple of years? Through all of IUMBB's ups (and mostly downs) since 2012-13, we still have the same number of titles as both PU and MSU (programs with coaching stability). Does Glass (or McRobbie) deserve some blame for the inconsistency? For sure. But we have spent a lot of money and Glass is raising a lot too. 

True on the title front, but i would argue they have much more success on the bowl and tourney depth of run front along with consistency of their programs.  No one is claiming we need to win national titles in the next couple year, but win period would be nice.

9 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

True on the tile front, but i would argue they have much more success on the bowl and tourney depth of run front along with consistency of their programs.  No one is claiming we need to win national titles in the next couple year, but win period would be nice.

IU would have more bowl appearances if they played in that division, plain and simple. They should be able to beat PU every other year as well. The NCAA tourney? Yeah not doubt, but we'll get there. Both of their programs have had the same coach for a long time. We'll be back in the tourney on a regular basis with solid/consistent recruiting and a more stable coaching presence. Year three is important for Archie, and I don't see us losing 12 or 13 or whatever again. 

14 hours ago, Muddy River said:

On this point in particular, I disagree.  It has been discussed here previously that much if not all of the B1G money was taken by the University for upgrading/building academic facilities on campus.  I also know a number of people who will tell you that Fred is a fantastic fund raiser. 

They university has raised over $2 billion, yes that’s a B, over the last few years for the bicentennial donation campaign.  That was all thanks to the IU foundation and Dan Smith.  That guy brought in wads of cash for Kelley as Dean and is now doing it for the entire university.  I think Fred and his connections have helped but in the end having a wad of cash and shiny buildings doesn’t make the basketball or football teams any better

Archived