Knight Moving Back to Bloomington

Just because a journalist can do something, doesn't mean he should do it.  Journalism dogma may tell you that publishing an address is the thing to do, but I don't think it exhibits particularly refined thinking.  If journalists feel under attack with their microscopic approval ratings, this type of thing will not help with their collective reputation.  It's like they jump at the knee-jerk reaction instead of taking a deep breath and recognizing that restraint is often the best course of action.  Say he's moving to Bloomington, which is big news, but stop short of publishing his address.

There was actually a very famous singer/actress who was going to move near me and she broke the deal after the media published the address.  It's a serious thing.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno

12 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

There is a difference between him choosing to do that and a journalist doing it without Knight's consent.

In this day and age. It's not impossible to find out information. In particular public records. Homes sales are public information. As an another example. And out of curiosity.  I just checked the Indiana University Alumni Association member's section. And sure enough.  Dan's address is listed there. Along with other information such as when he graduated, and where he currently works.

Am I going to give that information out ? No.  However, the two links I posted are public information. One of which Dan tweeted himself.  And any IUAA member is able to check and find Dan's home address.  It took about a total of 30 seconds for me to find it.

I am not saying it is a good or bad thing. It is just what the internet has brought to us. 

Edited by milehiiu

17 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Good point, Mile.  I am not a huge fan of making all that public, including the price paid for a home. I suppose there is a benefit in terms of researching property taxes.  However, I am in favor of the privacy side of things.

I will give another example. As I own rental properties. And not one week goes by that I do not get mail requests from people wanting to buy one or more of my properties.  They have my name, and address to the house that I actually live in.  Along, of course with the addresses of my rentals.  It's public information. Anyone can get it.  Either by checking the internet, or going to the county court house.

Zillow, Redfin, and  others are sources that have current property values all over the country.  Might add.  I checked on Dakich's house.  Very nice.  And sale date coincides with his tweet, and another tweet he made public about having to put a new a/c unit in his new house. 

Lastly.  We all were amazed when we saw pictures of Tom Crean's house in B-town.  Talk about a house.  WOW. I didn't think they made them that big in B-town. I don't recall  people getting upset about that when it was posted on Hoosier Sports Nation.

I just find it duplicitous of Dakich who is a media type to come off against another media person, in the very same town he makes a living.... in this day and age, when all that information is so easily found on the internet. 

Edited by milehiiu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So... how cool would it be to have Knight and Keady sitting together for iu Purdue?  Espn3 could do a legends feed, with Hummel and Suhr leading the broadcast with some selective blips of knight and keady conversation during the game.  Bring in other legends for ongoing conversation and observations throughout the game.  

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Dakich is gong off today on the Media for giving out the address for Coach Knight. I cold not agree more with his assessment. Thank you to TDH for having the decency to not publish that info. 

I'll reiterate what I said first thing this morning. Low brow move to publish his address. Indy Star guys running with it. Pretty pathetic in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

In this day and age. It's not impossible to find out information. In particular public records. Homes sales are public information. As an another example. And out of curiosity.  I just checked the Indiana University Alumni Association member's section. And sure enough.  Dan's address is listed there. Along with other information such as when he graduated, and where he currently works.

Am I going to give that information out ? No.  However, the two links I posted are public information. One of which Dan tweeted himself.  And any IUAA member is able to check and find Dan's home address.  It took about a total of 30 seconds for me to find it.

I am not saying it is a good or bad thing. It is just what the internet has brought to us. 

But there is a difference between average Joe and Bob Knight. I was hoping the "journalists" would choose being decent vs whatever code they think they have to live by. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

But there is a difference between average Joe and Bob Knight. I was hoping the "journalists" would choose being decent vs whatever code they think they have to live by. 

100 percent correct. Anything to sell a story for many writers. (Not TDH).  To quote coach  " most of us learn to write in 2nd grade,  then move on to better things"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

100 percent correct. Anything to sell a story for many writers. (Not TDH).  To quote coach  " most of us learn to write in 2nd grade,  then move on to better things"

...like coaching a game and taking it very, very seriously. 

• Haha 2

Didnt know how I would feel if he were to come back since it's been so long. But if he does make an appearance at AH I think it will be satisfying.

As far as advertising his address and house details, its public record anyone can access.  So, do the decent thing and not report it, quit make things easier for the lazy and stupid. 

25 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

...like coaching a game and taking it very, very seriously. 

I have always found that quote to be funny/ironic. A guy that teaches people how to throw a round ball through a hoop making fun of people that chose journalism as a career.....LOL

If I understand the term correctly, the Star doxxed coach Knight.

...and despite my anger at Knight's pettiness toward the university long after those involved were gone, I find myself remembering his tenure mostly with fondness and hoping he comes "home" to Assembly Hall this upcoming season...just once, coach...just once.

• Like 1

Coach Knight has had many opportunities to make a public appearance at IU. Other than taking in the baseball game last Spring.  Two  stick out prominently in my mind.  The first was when IU inducted Coach into the IU Hall of Fame. And he turned down the invitation saying his presence would take away from others being inducted that year.  And then, when IU honored the 1976 team.  I am not even sure if Coach replied to IU at that time.

Never the less. It IS time for Coach to come HOME. Better late than never. And better now, than when it is too late. 

--------------------

As an aside. Dan Dakich is on record of saying that Coach has been on campus in private many times over the years.  And has visited some of his favorite B-town restaurants as well. 

Edited by milehiiu

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Maybe RMK coming back might be what is needed for this program to turn the page.  I don't really believe in curses but it seems like after we fired RMK pretty much everything after that has bee  disaster.

Though scientifically unfounded, I tend to lend credence to superstition. I will definitely say I believe in this 99.999%!

4 minutes ago, Moyeneeded said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Vitale didn't put that in his ear again. He has always thought that Coach should come back.

Name the court after the General.  Remember that ?  Till Dick found out it was already named for another IU coach.

Gotta hand it to Dick.  He has always been in Coach's corner.

• Like 1