Knight Moving Back to Bloomington

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Love it. Dakich recreated it and added some yesterday thought it was pretty good.  Funny Sterling sees the exact same things many if us do. We are not tough, not well coached and not prepared. That is completely on the staff.  Put the kids in position to he successful.  Lack of change or unwillingness to adapt is going to have Archie updating his resume sooner rather than later. 

I said it here at the end of the summer. Glass met with CTA and said bowl or bust and told CAM tourney or bust. CTA delivered,  CAM yet to be seen. I was quickly dismissed that no way that happens. We shall see 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Love it. Dakich recreated it and added some yesterday thought it was pretty good.  Funny Sterling sees the exact same things many if us do. We are not tough, not well coached and not prepared. That is completely on the staff.  Put the kids in position to he successful.  Lack of change or unwillingness to adapt is going to have Archie updating his resume sooner rather than later. 

I said it here at the end of the summer. Glass met with CTA and said bowl or bust and told CAM tourney or bust. CTA delivered,  CAM yet to be seen. I was quickly dismissed that no way that happens. We shall see 

Man, I hope the part about tournament or bust is true for CAM !

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I don't think Archie is going to achieve that goal. I know what I would do with this team. They might not make the tournament but they would play with heart, toughness and be held accountable for their performance. I have no doubts several players would not be on the roster by seasons end. 

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Why be so negative all the time

Sorry, I know I have been pretty hegative of late, but to me, it's more of being realistic based on the fact that Archie isn't doing anything that I can see to change the poor play. Like you, I've been watching IU basketball longer than a lot of our posters have been alive. I've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly. IMO, we're seeing a re-run of the ugly.

Other than the FSU game, I haven't seen Smith make a cut hard enough to be considered more than a fast walk. We've been blown out twice out of 3 B1G games. Not because we don't have the talent, but because we don't play hard, or smart, or adjust. Last game we had 4 guys standing on the 3 point line, and thought they were playing Twister, where you can't move your feet. I haven't seen a screen (other than high ball screen) since the FSU game, much less a double screen to get someone open.

So I'll keep my negativity to myself from now on, and only try to post "optimistic" things.

My apologies to all.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DWB said:

Sorry, I know I have been pretty hegative of late, but to me, it's more of being realistic based on the fact that Archie isn't doing anything that I can see to change the poor play. Like you, I've been watching IU basketball longer than a lot of our posters have been alive. I've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly. IMO, we're seeing a re-run of the ugly.

Other than the FSU game, I haven't seen Smith make a cut hard enough to be considered more than a fast walk. We've been blown out twice out of 3 B1G games. Not because we don't have the talent, but because we don't play hard, or smart, or adjust. Last game we had 4 guys standing on the 3 point line, and thought they were playing Twister, where you can't move your feet. I haven't seen a screen (other than high ball screen) since the FSU game, much less a double screen to get someone open.

So I'll keep my negativity to myself from now on, and only try to post "optimistic" things.

My apologies to all.

I understand where you are coming from and I have been disappointed how we have played the last few games.  Even in those games we had stretches that shows what kind of team we can be.  We just have to be able to play 40 minutes like that with less drop off. I guess the thing that keeps me going on Archie was how well regarded he was when he took this job.  Also I hold out hope since we have seen some of the great coaches out there struggle their first 3 or 4 years and turned it around.

4 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

We are not tough, not well coached and not prepared. That is completely on the staff.  Put the kids in position to he successful.  Lack of change or unwillingness to adapt is going to have Archie updating his resume sooner rather than later. 

Hi, I am interested in whether you think think that this team not being tough, not well coached and not prepared is because of a lack of coaching ability or have they made strategic errors in trying to build the culture at IU? such as the suggestions that they handled Langford with kid gloves and have played the wrong people in an effort to win now rather than insisting on players living up to program standards of effort and fundamentals?

I do think that Archie has a singular way he wants to coach and that even Dayton fans said that he would stay with his system to a fault rather than adapt to what he has on the roster....

14 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

Hi, I am interested in whether you think think that this team not being tough, not well coached and not prepared is because of a lack of coaching ability or have they made strategic errors in trying to build the culture at IU? such as the suggestions that they handled Langford with kid gloves and have played the wrong people in an effort to win now rather than insisting on players living up to program standards of effort and fundamentals?

I do think that Archie has a singular way he wants to coach and that even Dayton fans said that he would stay with his system to a fault rather than adapt to what he has on the roster....

good question and i think it is some of both. I just don't see the toughness that I thought he would instill in this program. I thought we would be a blue collar bust your butt team that took no crap. Instead we are 180 degrees the opposite.  I do think Romeo was mishandled in his system as well as the kid gloves aspect and that hurt the team accountability. I wish I had the answers and I think he is a good coach but just not sure if he is good enough to get us where we as fans want us to be. Losing 11 out of 12 is on the staff especially with 2 NBA level players. To beat MSU 2 times suggest that the talent was there. We just never seem fired up and motivated, lack hustle even on  the defensive end. I thought that we as a program would be tough defensive minded team that struggled to score. We struggle to score and are soft. Maybe practice is not nearly difficult enough due to fear of injuries. I don't have any answers. I know that having had the opportunity to see many D1 coaches practice and the 1 thing that always stuck out is just how hard the players go. Outside of Coach Knight, Kelvin Sampson worked his guys harder than anyone I have seen, with Izzo being right there as well. Over the course of a year it shows and those teams don't go on long losing streaks and find ways to deal with adversity.. Practice under CAM has been closed so I can't judge them but from what i see on the court I don't see the intensity. the first year I thought that our shooting struggles came because we worked so hard on the defensive end but found that out to not be accurate. I know a very wishy washy response but the lack of toughness has to come from the top IMO, sadly the 1 attribute that I thought CAM would demand was toughness

• Like 1

I agree that the Archie “brand” included a tough minded, “blue collar”, “bust your butt”, defensive, value the ball approach/culture but I (like you) would not use any of those terms to describe this, or his previous, IU teams.  Still clinging to hope but those are things that are tough to turn around mid-season.  

2 hours ago, IU878176 said:

I agree that the Archie “brand” included a tough minded, “blue collar”, “bust your butt”, defensive, value the ball approach/culture but I (like you) would not use any of those terms to describe this, or his previous, IU teams.  Still clinging to hope but those are things that are tough to turn around mid-season.  

That is also one of my concerns currently. Granted, it's still early in Archie's tenure and I'm sure UVA fans had doubts when Bennett was losing 16 games two years in a row, but I thought one change that would happen quicker would be the mentality of the team. I know Archie can't turn Al Durham and Devonte Green into Ty Jerome and Kyle Guy, nobody can, but I thought the team adopting Archie's mentality and culture would be a more immediate thing. 

I thought by this time IU would be like an old Bo Ryan Wisconsin team, an Izzo MSU team or UVA team where even in the years the talent is quite there, you still want no part in playing them because you know it's going to be a dogfight. I thought that was what we were getting but it flat-out hasn't happened yet. I know sometimes these things take time (again, Bennett took 4 years to really get rolling) but I thought this aspect would be more immediate. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, BGleas said:

That is also one of my concerns currently. Granted, it's still early in Archie's tenure and I'm sure UVA fans had doubts when Bennett was losing 16 games two years in a row, but I thought one change that would happen quicker would be the mentality of the team. I know Archie can't turn Al Durham and Devonte Green into Ty Jerome and Kyle Guy, nobody can, but I thought the team adopting Archie's mentality and culture would be a more immediate thing. 

I thought by this time IU would be like an old Bo Ryan Wisconsin team, an Izzo MSU team or UVA team where even in the years the talent is quite there, you still want no part in playing them because you know it's going to be a dogfight. I thought that was what we were getting but it flat-out hasn't happened yet. I know sometimes these things take time (again, Bennett took 4 years to really get rolling) but I thought this aspect would be more immediate. 

Exactly what you said. I may be way off base but I think our program was in w much better place than UVA as far as talent goes. I am not in the camp that supports that the IU cupboard was bare. Hate beating the dead horse but year 4 for CTC netted 27 wins. I dont feel we are anywhere close to that. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BGleas said:

I know Archie can't turn Al Durham and Devonte Green into Ty Jerome and Kyle Guy, nobody can, but I thought the team adopting Archie's mentality and culture would be a more immediate thing. 

A large part of your culture is dictated by the leaders on your team. I think Archie has tried to get Al and Devonte to embrace their leadership roles, but I haven't seen it. 

I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes (practice/coach's office/game huddles) but it's readily apparent on the court.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Sounds like from one of our very own that it's a done deal. Knight will be back on Saturday.

At lunch yesterday I went out and caught the end of a conversation that DD was having with Sage Steel and they were talking about RM coming back.  I was to the point where I did not care if he came back because he should have came back for the 76 team.  Now I hope he does so he can see that his fans still love him and he can get some closure. Also I think it would be good for IU as well and maybe this could be a step to get the former players to feel more included with IU today.  Also if you beleive in curses maybe this will stop the curse of IU basketball. LOL!

• Like 3