Knight Moving Back to Bloomington

22 hours ago, milehiiu said:

And there are some who are saying his mind is gone.  To that. I say.  Rubbish !

Did you see how he handled those two yahoos at the Bluebird ?

Exactly Mile. I was there, saw him bantering with the hysterics guys, fans and players. Didn’t miss a beat. Obviously he’s not 100% but unless things have taken a drastic turn in the last few months, he still appeared to be pretty with it to me. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Zville Hoosier said:

Exactly Mile. I was there, saw him bantering with the hysterics guys, fans and players. Didn’t miss a beat. Obviously he’s not 100% but unless things have taken a drastic turn in the last few months, he still appeared to be pretty with it to me. 

Dementia once it has been officially diagnosed – does not go away, but the symptoms can come and go and the condition can manifest itself differently depending on the person. The symptoms and signs of Alzheimer's or dementia progress at different rates. There are different stages, but it doesn't ever “go away”.

I'm no doctor, but my guess is, according to the above description, he comes and goes.....mentally that is. JMO.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zville Hoosier said:

The thing about dementia/alzheimers though is there are good days and bad.  Even times of the day when a person's mind may be clearer than others   Having dealt with family with this disease in the past and currently you never know what they may say or do.  From a distance things may look fine but they aren't.   One of the toughest days in my life was the morning my mother didn't recognize me   I tear up everytime I think of that morning.  Luckily her mind was clearer later that day and she knew who I was and had no recollection of her talk with me.   Sadly I know one day soon she probably won't remember me.    Watching someone's mind being stolen away is one of the saddest things you'll ever see.

Go Hoosiers!!!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Indy1987 said:

The thing about dementia/alzheimers though is there are good days and bad.  Even times of the day when a person's mind may be clearer than others   Having dealt with family with this disease in the past and currently you never know what they may say or do.  From a distance things may look fine but they aren't.   One of the toughest days in my life was the morning my mother didn't recognize me   I tear up everytime I think of that morning.  Luckily her mind was clearer later that day and she knew who I was and had no recollection of her talk with me.   Sadly I know one day soon she probably won't remember me.    Watching someone's mind being stolen away is one of the saddest things you'll ever see.

Go Hoosiers!!!

Yep. Dealing with it now. Inlaw has progressively gotten worse but we finally enrolled him in basically a daytime camp where he goes 2-3x a week for 6-7 hours each day. Just like with anything...letting the pros handle what they know is sometimes the best route. He's made a pretty significant change in the short time he's been going.

Regarding Knight. Been lucky enough to meet him a few times and his recall was just miraculous. Maybe it's selfish or just the fan in me but I want to remember him that way. Not forgetting the names of some of his most valuable players. Just kind of hurts inside.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Dementia once it has been officially diagnosed – does not go away, but the symptoms can come and go and the condition can manifest itself differently depending on the person. The symptoms and signs of Alzheimer's or dementia progress at different rates. There are different stages, but it doesn't ever “go away”.

I'm no doctor, but my guess is, according to the above description, he comes and goes.....mentally that is. JMO.

My mother passed last year with Alzheimer's. Their behavior and comprehension of what is going on can change from minute to minute. I'm sure his wife's #1 priority is to protect this very proud man. As much as many IU fans are clamoring for him to return to the Hall so he can receive the love, this could turn into a humiliating experience. She knows what he can and can not handle as she lives with him daily. We need to let that play out how she thinks best. JMO from someone who has experienced this disease up close and personally.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Go Hoosiers!!!

That’s really good perspective (from all if you), appreciate that. I've not dealt with this personally so admittedly I’m probably a little naive.

I did talk with a close friend of mine who was a former manager under RMK and was there Saturday. For what it’s worth, he said there are doubts about him ever making it to a game just because of how emotionally overwhelming it might be and uncertainty of reaction, although I can’t imagine it being anything other than positive. He thought it might be more like several smaller appearances with media present so they could report and let people know he is reconnecting. Again, just speculation but a different perspective from someone closer to this than most. 

• Like 1

Sadly I think we all have had a grandparent or parent etc that has suffered through this and it is absolutely true it comes and goes and can be very mild and really bad at times (sometimes physically/anger issues). I can see Karen wanting to protect him from an embarrassing moment. My experience as well is that being around familiar people etc tend to put them at ease. I couldn't imagine putting someone in a place where even though the venue was familiar but 20,000 strangers and faculty and staff is all different would be inviting to test out if it's a good day or not. Smaller situations like visiting a practice or dinner or meeting or even going to a baseball game that is much less frantic and outside where they wouldn't feel trapped would be better. At this point I think the reunion might be almost too much to ask even if he would like to come back...which makes it sad it didn't happen sooner.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Sadly I think we all have had a grandparent or parent etc that has suffered through this and it is absolutely true it comes and goes and can be very mild and really bad at times (sometimes physically/anger issues). I can see Karen wanting to protect him from an embarrassing moment. My experience as well is that being around familiar people etc tend to put them at ease. I couldn't imagine putting someone in a place where even though the venue was familiar but 20,000 strangers and faculty and staff is all different would be inviting to test out if it's a good day or not. Smaller situations like visiting a practice or dinner or meeting or even going to a baseball game that is much less frantic and outside where they wouldn't feel trapped would be better. At this point I think the reunion might be almost too much to ask even if he would like to come back...which makes it sad it didn't happen sooner.

Totally.  In a 5 minute span one day my mother told me "I've loved you every second of your life" and then minutes later throw a banana and hit me in the head.  It's not worth putting him and her in that position. It is heartbreaking.  We all just have to appreciate we had him as a Hoosier when we did.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RJPaisley said:

Totally.  In a 5 minute span one day my mother told me "I've loved you every second of your life" and then minutes later throw a banana and hit me in the head.  It's not worth putting him and her in that position. It is heartbreaking.  We all just have to appreciate we had him as a Hoosier when we did.

Yes...too many stories of similar situations from different people in my life. I've seen a grandfather threating to fight his son who he thought was looking at his watch and wanting it (he will have to pry it from his cold dead hands) and a grandmother animatedly accusing her 95 year old wheel chair/on oxygen husband of cheating on her with the cafeteria lady....and not so nicely wording it...language she had never used in her life. It is sad...but you cherish the good moments and are understanding the bad ones are simply from the disease and you make sure they feel loved and cherished to the end.

Edited by dgambill

7 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

So he had a bad spell and wandered off to Marian instead of Assembly Hall?

No offense intended towards folks who suffer from mental decline, lord knows I’ve had plenty of loved ones who have struggled with vascular dementia and Alzheimer’s, but, Andy, that made me chuckle.

16 minutes ago, RJPaisley said:

Smaller crowd, less noise, wouldn't be expected to be down on the floor at Marian. If he had gone to the IU game, stayed up in his seats and not gone  to the floor with the former players they would be criticized for that. Can't win situation.

I wouldn't criticizing him for wanting to low-key it.  Maybe he just waves to the crowd from the jumbotron when he shows up.

2 minutes ago, RJPaisley said:

Hopefully he can show up as you have stated at a future game. Thankfully there are many many IU fans like you. And then there are those.

This I can guarantee...regardless of what a few online critics might say, if Knight is live on the jumbotron waving at the crowd, the roof is going to come off Assembly Hall.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Yeah. Karen.  Keep coach cooped up in the house.  Just three miles from where he achieved history. All the while fans are aching for his return after 20 years.  Good choice.

I can understand why she is so protective of him.  She wants him remembered as the General and not some senile old man.  Nancy Reagan was much the same way towards Ronald.  I believe the last known photo of the Gipper was taken almost 4 years before his death which shows how much she restricted access in his final years.

• Like 2

I said earlier last week that maybe if it gets leaked out that he was coming that he might not come.  I don't know if that was the case but it might have something to do with it.  Also maybe who reported this did not get the correct info and maybe it was that RMK was just going to a basketball game on Saturday

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Yes...too many stories of similar situations from different people in my life. I've seen a grandfather threating to fight his son who he thought was looking at his watch and wanting it (he will have to pry it from his cold dead hands) and a grandmother animatedly accusing her 95 year old wheel chair/on oxygen husband of cheating on her with the cafeteria lady....and not so nicely wording it...language she had never used in her life. It is sad...but you cherish the good moments and are understanding the bad ones are simply from the disease and you make sure they feel loved and cherished to the end.

Omg the "filters" that we all have with language and speaking our thoughts out loud are out the door when dementia hits.  My sweet little grandma that I never ever heard swear or say a bad thing about anyone became the opposite.  She became just downright mean and cussed like a sailor.  We all kinda chuckle now at family gatherings thinking about how many of the in home help she ran off because she thought they were trying to steal my grandpa away.   Lol they weren't.

I hope he does make it back to AH soon for a game.   As the season goes on the likelihood of it happening lessons though.  I wonder if just a tour of Cook and AH would be a way to ease him back.  Maybe stopping in on a practice.  No press but have someone with the athletic dept taking a few pics maybe.  As a fan I'd love to see just that.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

• Like 1

Been sitting on this for a few days. Want to share with you.  IU has worked up a tribute video to play in AH..... SHOULD the "General" decide to show up.  We are inching closer to the day. As IU continues to work on an arrival.  Even to the point of making a seat available for the coach.

Now.  I am not saying coach is coming.  Just that IU will be prepared should he show up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Been sitting on this for a few days. Want to share with you.  IU has worked up a tribute video to play in AH..... SHOULD the "General" decide to show up.  We are inching closer to the day. As IU continues to work on an arrival.  Even to the point of making a seat available for the coach.

Now.  I am not saying coach is coming.  Just that IU will be prepared should he show up. 

Knight will probably come back when we play Purdue and bring his buddy "Jack" who guest starred on his   television show back in the day!

Edited by jefftheref
  • Haha 4

53 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

He has us as a 1th seed this week and the first four with Byes.  He still has OSU as a 4th seed and he has UI as the first 4 out.  Also has PU as a 1th seed and one of the last 4 in.

Who knows Scott. Lol some years you could project stuff like this but this year...way too chaotic to know. I’d say if we can go close to 500 in conference five or take a loss we should get in...but it will probably come down to the final week of the year for many of the B1G teams shuffling position to the end.

1 hour ago, jefftheref said:

Knight will probably come back when we play Purdue and bring his buddy "Jack" who guess starred on his   television show back in the day!

An old You Tube video. Quality is lacking.  But still posting for our younger members.  And that's Chuck Marlowe doing the interview.

Bob Knight & the Purdue Mascot -  Meet Jack

• Like 1

I know last week I said I heard on a local Florida sports radio show he was showing up against OSU. I think a lot of chatter was going around about a reunion...could have easily been the wrong reunion since he did technically meet up with former long time associates in Marian. We know what happens when we assume.

Edited by dgambill