Knight Moving Back to Bloomington

6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll reiterate what I said first thing this morning. Low brow move to publish his address. Indy Star guys running with it. Pretty pathetic in my opinion. 

Agreed.  I think it should be mandatory for all journalists to put their own home address in their by-line.

OK.  Gonna try to turn this lemon into lemonade.  Now that we know Coach's address. I took time out to shoot him a letter of appreciation for what he meant to me during his time at IU.  Yes. Old school.  Snail mail.  No twitter or social media.  Heard that at one time he reads his mail. And the one thing he always appreciated about IU. Was the fans.  Hope he is able to read my letter.  And I express my desire to all Hoosier Sports Nation members to follow my lead.  And send a snail mail to Coach. Telling him how much we loved what he did for us.  Maybe. Just maybe. Maybe HSN can do something that Fred Glass was unable to do. Get Coach into Assembly Hall, once again.

Edited by milehiiu
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

So... how cool would it be to have Knight and Keady sitting together for iu Purdue?  Espn3 could do a legends feed, with Hummel and Suhr leading the broadcast with some selective blips of knight and keady conversation during the game.  Bring in other legends for ongoing conversation and observations throughout the game.  

That would be oh so cool.  

9 hours ago, milehiiu said:

OK.  Gonna try to turn this lemon into lemonade.  Now that we know Coach's address. I took time out to shoot him a letter of appreciation for what he meant to me during his time at IU.  Yes. Old school.  Snail mail.  No twitter or social media.  Heard that at one time he reads his mail. And the one thing he always appreciated about IU. Was the fans.  Hope he is able to read my letter.  And I express my desire to all Hoosier Sports Nation members to follow my lead.  And send a snail mail to Coach. Telling him how much we loved what he did for us.  Maybe. Just maybe. Maybe HSN can do something that Fred Glass was unable to do. Get Coach into Assembly Hall, once again.

I would love to do the same. Is his email address public knowledge?

9 hours ago, milehiiu said:

LOVE this

3 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Many remember the guys that play and coach the game only a select few get remembered for writing about it

Yeah, if you equate " most of us learn to write in 2nd grade,  then move on to better things" to only include basketball writing. But I will defer to The Daily Hoosier. Just because Knight says clever lines doesn't mean they hold an ounce of truth. I welcome him back to the Hoosier state though. I hope to see him at Assembly Hall. My guess is he's more apt to show up at a practice, than a game. But it would be a great program energizer to have him acknowledge the program in any fashion. He seems to like Archie. Can't say the same about anyone else before him. 

Edited by OGIUAndy

3 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Many remember the guys that play and coach the game only a select few get remembered for writing about it

I would consider Bob Hammel to be one of those to be remembered.  I know Coach Knight, who despised sports writers, thought Bob was/is the exception.

As Andy posted above ^ :

"All of us learn to write in the second grade. Most of us go on to do better things."....... Bobby Knight.

Edited by milehiiu
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Yeah, if you equate " most of us learn to write in 2nd grade,  then move on to better things" to only include basketball writing. But I will defer to The Daily Hoosier. Just because Knight says clever lines doesn't mean they hold an ounce of truth. I welcome him back to the Hoosier state though. I hope to see him at Assembly Hall. My guess is he's more apt to show up at a practice, than a game. But it would be a great program energizer to have him acknowledge the program in any fashion. He seems to like Archie. Can't say the same about anyone else before him. 

Bob Knight praises new IU coach Archie Miller

On 7/11/2019 at 4:27 PM, IU878176 said:

I have always found that quote to be funny/ironic. A guy that teaches people how to throw a round ball through a hoop making fun of people that chose journalism as a career.....LOL

He also taught History....but overall an educator of young men...funny thing is I imagine he taught those young men more about life and preparing for success then all those other professors combined. I will say....it’s been a long time since I’ve found much of anything meaningful to my life from a journalist. Long time.

On 7/11/2019 at 7:39 PM, milehiiu said:

Name the court after the General.  Remember that ?  Till Dick found out it was already named for another IU coach.

Gotta hand it to Dick.  He has always been in Coach's corner.

I do think something there should be named after him...understandable the floor and building is already taken. Bob Knight media room??? Lol the irony!!

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, dgambill said:

I do think something there should be named after him...understandable the floor and building is already taken. Bob Knight media room??? Lol the irony!!

I proposed long ago that a statue outside of AH be established.  But that was long before Coach went kind of wonky, hoping that any remaining IU  Athletic admin person was dead.

I have gone back an forth on Knight over the years.  I am coming back. Slowly.  And since there are statues inside of AH now.... starting to think that Knight may deserve one of his own.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I proposed long ago that a statue outside of AH be established.  But that was long before Coach went kind of wonky, hoping that any remaining IU  Athletic admin person was dead.

I have gone back an forth on Knight over the years.  I am coming back. Slowly.  And since there are statues inside of AH now.... starting to think that Knight may deserve one of his own.

Since I’ve moved away I haven’t been to Assembly Hall since the renovations...is there like a hall of champions or something where the championship trophies and busts or plaques are? Maybe name it the Bob Knight hall of champions...has to be something? I mean there is no way they will rename the court after him even though other schools have made changes before. Whatever the case coach should have a bigger presence hopefully.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Since I’ve moved away I haven’t been to Assembly Hall since the renovations...is there like a hall of champions or something where the championship trophies and busts or plaques are? Maybe name it the Bob Knight hall of champions...has to be something? I mean there is no way they will rename the court after him even though other schools have made changes before. Whatever the case coach should have a bigger presence hopefully.

Both at Cook Hall :

Tour Indiana's Cook Hall

And in Assembly Hall :

Indiana University Tour of Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall

Great idea, "d"

• Thanks 1

On 7/12/2019 at 10:05 PM, dgambill said:

He also taught History....but overall an educator of young men...funny thing is I imagine he taught those young men more about life and preparing for success then all those other professors combined. I will say....it’s been a long time since I’ve found much of anything meaningful to my life from a journalist. Long time.

Maybe they have not impacted your life but I think that journalists that have reported on wars, helped free innocent imprisoned people, exposed financial frauds, priests, corrupt politicians, etc etc have evolved (and helped society) quite nicely from the time they learned to write in second grade. 

I realize that RMK was trying to be funny but I do continue to find his comment a bit ironic.

• Thanks 1

On 7/11/2019 at 10:27 PM, milehiiu said:

I am going to write him a letter tomorrow on my lunch break.  I attended several of his basketball camps in the early/mid 90's and met him multiple times outside of that and have fond memories of midnight madness.  It took a long time but ultimately I'm glad he is trying to be back.

On 7/15/2019 at 10:37 PM, IU878176 said:

Maybe they have not impacted your life but I think that journalists that have reported on wars, helped free innocent imprisoned people, exposed financial frauds, priests, corrupt politicians, etc etc have evolved (and helped society) quite nicely from the time they learned to write in second grade. 

I realize that RMK was trying to be funny but I do continue to find his comment a bit ironic.

It’s all good. Like I said it’s been a long time since I’ve encountered some good journalism that attempts to report truth without having to put a spin on something. Even in sports now there has to be an agenda. I’m not trying to lump them all in the same basket but I’ve found meaning and life lessons from many of my coaches that have served me well...and I’ve heard many of Knights players say the same. I don’t think the comment he made was to be taken seriously. It was more a joke and a swipe at them because they sit back writing their opinions and looking to make fame and money off of attacking someone and often taking an angle that will sell instead of just reporting or telling the whole story. So yeah...it wasn’t serious...but it was funny because these same people that report on things when often times they have never even played the game or criticizing him or trying to promote themselves off of his fame. I realize there is important work being reported on...but what Knight was referring to and what we see in the media nowadays is basically like paparazzi with a pen. I thought it was funny at the time and I’m reminded of it all the time in this current day and age.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...