Coaches on the hot seat

1 hour ago, 5 championships said:

I edited my original post. Allen is a fantastic coach with a program that has been not very good for a long time stuck in college football toughest division. Plus once he gets it rolling unlike Brohm he is here to stay. I really like where program is headed I see improvements I really like and I understand it’s going to take patience to finally get some W’s over Michigan State, Ohio Stste, Penn State, Michigan who’s entire school has been built around football for years. Playing those teams beats the crap out you. It’s going to take time to build up the skill and more depth but will get there 

I have a few questions I’m curious about:

1. What is your definition of “rolling?”

2. Why are you convinced he’s there to stay?

57 minutes ago, Kodos said:

Well, the other option is to take a team that has been one of the worst teams in college football history and expect it to magically start regularly slaying the big boys in possibly the toughest division in college football--at a place where big name coaches never want to come.

I'm willing to be patient with Tom Allen, because I like what he's doing and how he is doing it.

Wilson had us in back to back bowl games. Considering your comment "one of the worst teams in college football history" shouldn't we have expected the momentum to be continued? Not stunted? Back to back bowl games and poof...0-2. Just asking is all. 

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I have a few questions I’m curious about:

1. What is your definition of “rolling?”

2. Why are you convinced he’s there to stay?

Going to bowl games consistently and being a legitimate threat to beat anyone on schedule. 

Allen is from here he calls this home and has personally said this is were he wants to be. Just like when Louisville was a threat to grab Brohm because it’s his “home”. Bloomington is home to Allen. 

56 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

A number said that yet I would of took PU schedule over IU’s and I’d do that basically ever year to avoid the BIG East. Also PU was better than IU last year because our OC was pathetic 

Your OC wasn’t good but your defense took a pretty decent step back too. Sure you can blame some of that on a not great offense but the defense takes blame there too. 

3 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Your OC wasn’t good but your defense took a pretty decent step back too. Sure you can blame some of that on a not great offense but the defense takes blame there too. 

Extremely young and yes the offense. Yikes. Allen hasn’t been there long enough to build the depth. Literally my least concern is the defense. 

6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Agree with most of what you've outlined....but at end of the day we need to see some W results. I've had some employees that exemplify everything I want but if you aren't hitting the marks. They unfortunately end up firing themselves. Have to deliver soon. I'm all fine for another year or two but if he misses bowl this year. I cut/paste this from another board. 

Brohm takes Purdue Bowl games in years 1 and 2
Campbell takes Iowa State to bowl games in years 2 and 3
Mendenhall takes Virginia to bowl games in years 2 an 3
Babers takes Syracuse to a bowl game and 10 wins in year 3
Leach took WSU to a bowl game in year 2

I'm not just looking at what Allen has done the last two years, I'm looking at where I think that projects for.  I think he really has us on an upward trajectory.  He works on his faults, and he really does a good job of plugging any holes he sees on the team (depth, OC, DC, special teams even though it is a work in progress). Allen came from being a coordinator, so I expected some growing pains early on.

At some point he definitely needs to start producing bowl seasons, but he's got really good potential, so I'm willing to give him ample time.  We're coming up on 30 years since our last bowl win, so I don't mind waiting an extra couple years on somebody with potential who I think would stick around if he does well.  With how his recruiting has been, he definitely isn't a Lynch who is going to struggle and leave the cupboard bare, so I don't see any downside in giving him time.  The upside could be massive.

Also, I was curious what board you got this from, so I cut and pasted it into Google.  I'm disappointed in you :coffee:

2 hours ago, 5 championships said:

If your Skin crawls or not it’s the truth 

Exactly.  People are willing to give him time because they can see that Allen has great potential.  Great recruiter, great person who excellent coaches want to work with, great defensive mind.  I'm fine with some growing pains because of all those positives.  This isn't a guy who is clearly in over his head and lucky to win 5 games.  He has a lot of things going right with the program, so I think wins are only a matter of time.

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

It did take a pretty good step back, but we all expected it to.  We lost a lot the previous 2 seasons.  We'll return most of our defensive production from last year (23rd most in the country), so it should see a step forward.  We had hoped the offense would pick up some of the slack from the defense last year, but they definitely didn't step up.

6 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I'm not just looking at what Allen has done the last two years, I'm looking at where I think that projects for.  I think he really has us on an upward trajectory.  He works on his faults, and he really does a good job of plugging any holes he sees on the team (depth, OC, DC, special teams even though it is a work in progress). Allen came from being a coordinator, so I expected some growing pains early on.

At some point he definitely needs to start producing bowl seasons, but he's got really good potential, so I'm willing to give him ample time.  We're coming up on 30 years since our last bowl win, so I don't mind waiting an extra couple years on somebody with potential who I think would stick around if he does well.  With how his recruiting has been, he definitely isn't a Lynch who is going to struggle and leave the cupboard bare, so I don't see any downside in giving him time.  The upside could be massive.

Also, I was curious what board you got this from, so I cut and pasted it into Google.  I'm disappointed in you :coffee:

Buddy used to run the board. Check in from time to time. 

We play in a tough division and something should be done about it.  It’d be nice if we had an AD with leadership on that.  

Regardless, as a first step in breaking through, we’ve got to win against our opponents in the West. They may be considerably weaker but we have been losing either way.  Come on, we’ve got to start winning those games or complaining about the schedule is a distinction without a difference.  You lose either way.  

I like Allen’s approach but he’s got to show that he can take a team across the finish line for a victory against non-cupcakes. Honestly, he’s set things up as well as we’ve seen in a quarter of a century.  But these games aren’t abstract ideas.  To quote Herman Edwards, you play to win the game.  

Archived