Great article about why injuries are way up

2 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I think the invention of the internet, more televised sports, and the 24/7 playing coverage of sports has increased what is reported concerning sports related injuries.  

I also think the increased hormones in milk have adverse affect on young woman during development.  The saying they didn't make them like that when i was kid has some meaning behind it.

Lol, we REALLY need some recruiting news to break...

23 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Well, I said it earlier.  Any time I bring up what I believe to be the health benefits of drinking milk as a young American. I attract a lot of flack.  Good to see not much has changed. I am not angry or mad.  I just stand on my personal belief.

Thanks to all for their inputs.  Hope you all are having a GREAT summer !

Milk or not, nutrition has to be making things worse because kids nutrition today is HORRIFIC

1 hour ago, BADGERVOL said:

Milk or not, nutrition has to be making things worse because kids nutrition today is HORRIFIC

Agree. When I was a student back in the dark ages, living at McNutt.  There was a full blown cafeteria, serving three meals a day.  Now I understand that cafeteria has been replaced, with a more of a grab and go.  Can't be as nutritious as back in the day, IMHO.

17 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

Nobody should be playing “travel ball” under the age of 8. I mean come on,  who really cares besides the parent? 

PS I have a 6 year old and an almost 2 year old, I’m a 37 year old sped teacher who also coaches high school boys b-ball in central Indiana.

Agree.  I'd go further than that...maybe 10?  I think it's insane the amateur sports model that we've created and parents have poured gasoline on.

7 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Agree.  I'd go further than that...maybe 10?  I think it's insane the amateur sports model that we've created and parents have poured gasoline on.

See it happen every year. Kids grow up best friends and one makes a travel team and another doesn't. Somehow the kids are no longer friends.Sometimes the damage these travel teams cause isn't limited to just their bodies. 

8 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

See it happen every year. Kids grow up best friends and one makes a travel team and another doesn't. Somehow the kids are no longer friends.Sometimes the damage these travel teams cause isn't limited to just their bodies. 

SO true and SO sad. 

On 7/11/2019 at 4:48 PM, Brass Cannon said:

I believe it my 14 year old niece is wearing a knee brace but had no catastrophic injury it’s overuse which can’t be good long term

My daughter has always been very healthy yet the last two years she was a competitive dancer of her 9 years competing she had two overuse injuries. One tendon injury on a growth plate and another torn hip flexor. Ortho said it’s definitely overuse from repetive movement and lack of training/strengthening the muscles correctly. 

She didn’t do studio competitive this season. She just danced for the high school and took class. No injuries to speak of and much less time spent dancing being she’s not rehearsing hours on end every week. The rigors of competitive sports really do a number on their bodies. 

Archived