Name your IU X Factor for next season

As much as i hate to say it, Green/Smith is what is going to make or break our season.  If Green is the guy form the last couple games, we have a shooter and off guard who can make great passes and game decision.  As far as smith, i would prefer him cutting to the basket and tearing down rebounds over the 1 game he hits a bunch of 3's.  If these 2 can average 15ppg then i think we're going to be in a good position to make the tourney as an at large

We have guys that have good potential, but first thing's first. Who would be our go-to scorers? Definitely we need more than 1. Gotta say it's Green and Davis. Doesn't sound as formidable as Langford and Morgan, but we stick to what we have. These 2 guys have to produce in every game. 

Now the X-factor. X-factor's usually someone unexpected, so I would go for either Hunter or TJD. If these guys average a bit more than 10 points with solid defense and occasionally take turns and have 15 points or so games, then we got a chance for a good season.  

Insane how little TJD gets mentioned.  The whole fanbase is gunshy after the Romeo expectations.  Our roster isn't that impressive.  If he's our best player, no one should be surprised.  It's nice that we're not counting on him.  Nice that he won't have to play the 5.  He's going to have games where he turns it over, fouls too much, and scores 4 total points.  He'll look like a freshman.  But there will be a lot of times when he displays truly dominant play.  He covers ground to the basket faster than anyone we've had in recent memory.  Smoother, faster moves.  Big kid already.  And he's been playing high level ball for awhile, and I suspect he can use some of that experience playing in college.  

Our front court is looking very good.  Size, numbers, experience.  No one guy will have to hold down the 5 or play out of position.

Guards?  Eh.  We might be excited about our guys, but that's because we're assuming they'll play better.  And maybe they will.  I'd like to see Rob be more assertive.  Let Devonte play off the ball.  Al can back them up.  Maybe Armaan is an X-factor?  There's a very real chance that he's the the most talented guard on the roster.  He doesn't have the experience yet, of course.  But strictly ranking-wise, Rob and Armaan > Devonte and Al.  

And that wing/SF spot.  I'm with you guys.  Jerome can walk in and make this team his, and I'd love it.  Damezi is a very likable kid, so I'd really like him to see some success.  The narrative that he's lost really isn't fair to his overall skill.  He didn't get 2000 pts in high school on accident.  He can be very sneaky out there, and really fill it up.

Okay.  Final answer.  I've got to go with respecting the 4 year guys and stick with Devonte.  Upperclassmen guards seem to dominate the NCAA.  He just watched his brother win the NBA Championship.  He's not in anyone's shadow.  He'll be a true starter, and hopefully take on a new mindset.  He and De'Ron become effective leaders and enjoy a great senior season.  

1 hour ago, Stromboli said:

Insane how little TJD gets mentioned.  The whole fanbase is gunshy after the Romeo expectations.  Our roster isn't that impressive.  If he's our best player, no one should be surprised.  It's nice that we're not counting on him.  Nice that he won't have to play the 5.  He's going to have games where he turns it over, fouls too much, and scores 4 total points.  He'll look like a freshman.  But there will be a lot of times when he displays truly dominant play.  He covers ground to the basket faster than anyone we've had in recent memory.  Smoother, faster moves.  Big kid already.  And he's been playing high level ball for awhile, and I suspect he can use some of that experience playing in college.  

Our front court is looking very good.  Size, numbers, experience.  No one guy will have to hold down the 5 or play out of position.

Guards?  Eh.  We might be excited about our guys, but that's because we're assuming they'll play better.  And maybe they will.  I'd like to see Rob be more assertive.  Let Devonte play off the ball.  Al can back them up.  Maybe Armaan is an X-factor?  There's a very real chance that he's the the most talented guard on the roster.  He doesn't have the experience yet, of course.  But strictly ranking-wise, Rob and Armaan > Devonte and Al.  

And that wing/SF spot.  I'm with you guys.  Jerome can walk in and make this team his, and I'd love it.  Damezi is a very likable kid, so I'd really like him to see some success.  The narrative that he's lost really isn't fair to his overall skill.  He didn't get 2000 pts in high school on accident.  He can be very sneaky out there, and really fill it up.

Okay.  Final answer.  I've got to go with respecting the 4 year guys and stick with Devonte.  Upperclassmen guards seem to dominate the NCAA.  He just watched his brother win the NBA Championship.  He's not in anyone's shadow.  He'll be a true starter, and hopefully take on a new mindset.  He and De'Ron become effective leaders and enjoy a great senior season.  

Good post. Thanks.

This topic got interesting last season and picking right up where it left off.

Reflecting on talking/debating this with TDH I thought last season Rob might have been in the class coming in, when comparing expectations with Romeo , and the rest of the class, but as he cemented himself into the starting rotation fairly early on, he progressed to the known quantities. However his effect was often linked with IU's best games so his point was real good. No wrong answer to that depending on context. 

Hard to say with an full conclusiveness in any given year , but especially this year. Could be anyone named here who might have a bit more of a direct effect on the final outcome. An inextricable link with finding end result success on a most frequent basis , albeit a perception of perhaps being unestablished as go to , or  perhaps being undervalued, less mentioned, expected, or heralded than someone among their team mates who proves vital to wins -  to describe my context. 

Sorry for the initial broken sentence. New, crisp, sensitive keyboard. Grazing one key on my PC somehow deleted most of then posted my reply before I could do anything.

19 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

This topic got interesting last season and picking right up where it left off.

Reflecting on talking/debating this with TDH I thought last season Rob might have been in the class coming in, when comparing expectations with Romeo , and the rest of the class, but as he cemented himself into the starting rotation fairly early on, he progressed to the known quantities. However his effect was often linked with IU's best games so his point was real good. No wrong answer to that depending on context. 

Hard to say with an full conclusiveness in any given year , but especially this year. Could be anyone named here who might have a bit more of a direct effect on the final outcome. An inextricable link with finding end result success on a most frequent basis , albeit a perception of perhaps being unestablished as go to , or  perhaps being undervalued, less mentioned, expected, or heralded than someone among their team mates who proves vital to wins -  to describe my context. 

Sorry for the initial broken sentence. New, crisp, sensitive keyboard. Grazing one key on my PC somehow deleted most of then posted my reply before I could do anything.

Solid post.

Unless I missed it. I don't believe anyone has mentioned Race Thompson.  Not saying he is THE x factor.  Just that he is someone we could very well be looking over.   As I said when I started this thread.  So many candidates this year.  And thanks to everyone for participating in this thread.  Keep it going. Enjoying all the thoughts.

the thing that worries me is i feel like nearly all are X factors.  if most work out for the best, we could be very good.  if most do not? ... obviously Hunter is a big question and X factor.  how good TJD is as a freshman is an X factor.  Davis's health and conditioning is an X factor.  Green's decision making and consistency is an X factor...

5 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Al 95% always been dependable

Rob 90% minus any taps on the head

Devonte 50% no eplaination needed

Davis 75% health is the word

TJD 70% frosh bigs have a hard time in the B1G

Justin 50% same as devonte

Race 50% truly unknown

Demezi 50% still may need another year

Brunk 90%

Hunter 50% health is the word

Seriously, give each guy a percentage of likelihood to be the guy this team truly needs them to be.  Mine are above 

Rob is the X Factor.  Movement of the three point line will work in Rob's favor as opponents rely more on drives to the basket and passing.  I really think moving the line back will have a greater affect on teams than some anticipate.  Take Purdue for example; Edwards and Cline could hit the three from any distance but I don't think that is true of all good shooting guards.  The increased distance caused a decrease in accuracy for teams in the NIT and think that will hold true in the regular season next year too.  Anything that provides a greater number of opportunities for Rob to disrupt an opponents offense will only help IU next season.  

While Rob is my guy to run the show, there is no doubt to me that Hunter is the obvious X factor this season. Different results last season with a healthy Jerome Hunter. 

There are still a couple I’m concerned about on this squad. At least maybe this season we have some healthy guys that will help dilute that situation come game time. 

Archived