What ever happened to D.B Cooper ?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Here's my favorite D.B. Cooper suspect (besides the guy in the post above!).  He even had a friend named Dan Cooper who died in World War II which was actually the name given when the plane ticket was bought.  And, that picture is scary similar to the sketch.

https://dbcooperhijack.com/

I've always leaned towards this guy, and it's for all of the little subtle reasons. The friend named Dan Cooper. Yes, it's a common enough name that it's possible that it was just an alias chosen at random, but it's kind of a specific common name, not like "Bob Jones" or anything.

The penmanship. Smith was known to have good penmanship. The DB Cooper letter has very clear, flowing cursive penmanship. That's not something easy to fake, short of having someone else write it.

Knew the area, but wasn't from there or had ties to there. Knew aircraft and parachutes.

7 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I've always leaned towards this guy, and it's for all of the little subtle reasons. The friend named Dan Cooper. Yes, it's a common enough name that it's possible that it was just an alias chosen at random, but it's kind of a specific common name, not like "Bob Jones" or anything.

The penmanship. Smith was known to have good penmanship. The DB Cooper letter has very clear, flowing cursive penmanship. That's not something easy to fake, short of having someone else write it.

Knew the area, but wasn't from there or had ties to there. Knew aircraft and parachutes.

There are a ton of little things that make sense for it to be him.  There haven't been any real red flags I've seen in the case against Smith being DB Cooper either.

On 7/13/2019 at 6:07 PM, milehiiu said:

You know. The guy who jumped out of an airliner, with tons of cash.   Well.  He may just have died this week.

Robert Rackstraw, D.B. Cooper suspect with various bizarre Oregon connections, dies at 75 - oregonlive.com

Rackstraw is the 1 person that I felt could have been DB Cooper based on the list of possible suspects. I am not sure that the actual person that committed the crime name has come up. so many of the suspects have reason to believe they could be but all seem to have a hole or 2. 

I'm not a big fan of Rackstraw as Cooper.  One thing I don't like is that none of the Cooper money ever popped up again besides a few thousand found on a beach.  None of it was ever found as being spent, none of it was ever recorded into the treasury when bills get retired.  Why wasn't it ever spent?  Rackstraw got busted a few years later for stealing an airplane and passing bad checks.  I don't get how someone could have $200,000 that he never spent, but would write bad checks.  I think it would be much less risky to try to spend some of the marked bills than a bad check.  I can't imagine anybody was checking bills a few months after the Cooper hijacking.

I also don't like that he was investigated by the FBI in the late 70s, but they determined he didn't fit as a suspect.

I think Rackstraw was a bit of a shady character, and loved the notoriety that came with being a suspect.  He would never confirm or deny that he was Cooper, but he seemed like he liked to play it up for publicity.

Just my 2 cents on it.  There are so many things for and against so many people in this case it is crazy.

12 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I'm not a big fan of Rackstraw as Cooper.  One thing I don't like is that none of the Cooper money ever popped up again besides a few thousand found on a beach.  None of it was ever found as being spent, none of it was ever recorded into the treasury when bills get retired.  Why wasn't it ever spent?  Rackstraw got busted a few years later for stealing an airplane and passing bad checks.  I don't get how someone could have $200,000 that he never spent, but would write bad checks.  I think it would be much less risky to try to spend some of the marked bills than a bad check.  I can't imagine anybody was checking bills a few months after the Cooper hijacking.

I also don't like that he was investigated by the FBI in the late 70s, but they determined he didn't fit as a suspect.

I think Rackstraw was a bit of a shady character, and loved the notoriety that came with being a suspect.  He would never confirm or deny that he was Cooper, but he seemed like he liked to play it up for publicity.

Just my 2 cents on it.  There are so many things for and against so many people in this case it is crazy.

But isn't fun to speculate?  LOL

My take is something happened to Cooper when he jumped out of the plane.  The man is dead and the money never found it's way into another living human's hands.

9 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Very good points. I think either he did not survive the jump or his name is not on the list of possible suspects.  

I could drive my self crazy and spend the rest of my life trying to  solve 3 cases that I find fascinating. 

DB COOPER

ZODIAC KILLER

WHO killed JFK

I think I just talked myself into a lot of homework 

11 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Very good points. I think either he did not survive the jump or his name is not on the list of possible suspects.  

I could drive my self crazy and spend the rest of my life trying to  solve 3 cases that I find fascinating. 

DB COOPER

ZODIAC KILLER

WHO killed JFK

I had forgotten about the Zodiac Killer...I need to revisit that one.

10 hours ago, rico said:

But isn't fun to speculate?  LOL

My take is something happened to Cooper when he jumped out of the plane.  The man is dead and the money never found it's way into another living human's hands.

It really is.  Every single theory has positives and negatives, and that's one of the most fun things about it.  Not being able to prove or disprove anybody or any theory is one of the things that keeps the excitement alive.

I had kicked around the dead theory for a while, but I just love the adventure of him living through the jump.

18 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

It really is.  Every single theory has positives and negatives, and that's one of the most fun things about it.  Not being able to prove or disprove anybody or any theory is one of the things that keeps the excitement alive.

I had kicked around the dead theory for a while, but I just love the adventure of him living through the jump.

I believe he survived planted the money to be sure it would be found and to keep authorities more interested.  I think he had extensive military training and did not need the money. He went on about his life and has left very specific institutions wirh his attorney upon his death all of the money will show up. 

At least that's what I would like to see happen.  The last jab to the authorities.  

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

DB COOPER

ZODIAC KILLER

WHO killed JFK

After being a conspiracy theorist on the JFK assassination, I've resigned myself to the fact that it was Oswald, and Oswald alone that did the shooting.

The details of his defection to Russia and his subsequent return to the US, still give me reason for pause, and I still believe there may have been a conspiracy on the why part of it...but I think only Oswald pulled a trigger that day.

The one that always gets me, is JonBenet Ramsey.

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

DB COOPER

ZODIAC KILLER

WHO killed JFK

I really liked the movie about the Zodiac that came out with Iron Man and The Hulk...I mean Robert Downey Jr and Mark Ruffalo.  Then I looked into the suspect they talked about in the movie, and it definitely wasn't him.  Still a good movie though.  I had looked into the Zodiac quite a bit back in the day, and it is a lot like the DB Cooper case.  So many different possibilities.

17 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

After being a conspiracy theorist on the JFK assassination, I've resigned myself to the fact that it was Oswald, and Oswald alone that did the shooting.

The details of his defection to Russia and his subsequent return to the US, still give me reason for pause, and I still believe there may have been a conspiracy on the why part of it...but I think only Oswald pulled a trigger that day.

The one that always gets me, is JonBenet Ramsey.

I just cant buy the single gunman theory. I have tried and it would make my head a lot less crazy but I just cant. Oswald involved yes, alone No. IMO

Archived