Gun Nuts/Collectors?

Any other firearm aficionados on HSN?  I collect, trade, carry, target shoot and even hold an FFL.  About the only thing I don't do is hunt for meat, although I do a little nuisance/varmint control around my country home.  Not looking to rehash the politics of guns, but would be glad to talk guns with fellow enthusiasts!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Any other firearm aficionados on HSN?  I collect, trade, carry, target shoot and even hold an FFL.  About the only thing I don't do is hunt for meat, although I do a little nuisance/varmint control around my country home.  Not looking to rehash the politics of guns, but would be glad to talk guns with fellow enthusiasts!

What does that FFL allow you to do?

2 hours ago, rico said:

What does that FFL allow you to do?

Receive and transfer firearms to 3rd parties, assuming they pass the background check.  It also allows me to go pretty much anywhere in the U.S., purchase firearms, and bring them back to Indiana for transfer.  I do not have the licensing for class 3 firearms and suppressors, though...just typical rifles, shotguns and handguns. 

It's the same licensing most gun shops have. Takes an extensive background check, a lengthy ATF interview and of course, $$$.  Subject to 3-year renewals and surprise inspections. Must keep clean record books.

Edited by FKIM01
  • Thanks 1

I havent bought any in awhile but I have a few shotguns,rifles, and handguns.  My favorites are my CMP certified M1 Garand I drove down to the Anniston Alabama store for. And a replica of a Colt 629 I built. Other than that just basic stuff. 

I do have a wish list though. 

• Like 1

Love Garands. How can you not love the gun that beat Hitler? I'm looking for a WWII-era 30 carbine, but they've seemed to have gotten very expensive. I held one that was supposedly Waylon Jennings' gun but the closest thing to proof was a picture of Little Jimmy Dickens holding it.

Edited by FKIM01
typo
  • Like 1

When I was at the CMP store, 10 yrs ago now, they were on the last of their M1 carbines with no expectation of any more.  They were going for $350-$550 depending on grade and manufacturer. Guys that worked there said if you want them get them because they will never be that cheap again. Now their mostly in collectors hands. 

Best place I can think to maybe score a deal would be during Knob Creek machine gun shoot.  But I havent been there for a few years so have no idea what vendors will have or be selling for.  

The right of people to keep and bear arms.  I have not any problem with the 2nd Amendment.  Having said that. After getting out of the Army, during the Viet Nam war. I pledged. NEVER to touch another weapon the rest of my life.  And have lived up to my pledge.

Again. I have no problem with those that chose to do so, for peaceful purposes.  Over and out.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, milehiiu said:

The right of people to keep and bear arms.  I have not any problem with the 2nd Amendment.  Having said that. After getting out of the Army, during the Viet Nam war. I pledged. NEVER to touch another weapon the rest of my life.  And have lived up to my pledge.

Again. I have no problem with those that chose to do so, for peaceful purposes.  Over and out.

And you have more than earned the right to make that choice and have no questions asked. 🇺🇸

My dad (also a Vietnam vet) is an avid deer hunter and has a very extensive collection of hunting rifles and various handguns. A very outspoken 2nd Amendment advocate and a lifetime NRA member.

Personally, I'm not a collector or a hunter, but I do own one firearm. It's a pearl handled short barrel .38, stored in a very well concealed hidden compartment (of my own design) of my bedroom nightstand. I take it out every 3 months, test fire 6 rounds, clean, oil and reload it.

When each of my sons turn 15, they will receive instruction in performing each of the above steps, along with the lesson that a firearm is a tool that requires the utmost respect. They are not to be treated lightly, and they don't require excessive fear. And, much in line with Ken's post, it's a tool that I have never and hope to never need to put to use. But, threaten the safety of my family or enter my home with bad intentions, and find out how fast that will go out the window.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

When I was at the CMP store, 10 yrs ago now, they were on the last of their M1 carbines with no expectation of any more.  They were going for $350-$550 depending on grade and manufacturer. Guys that worked there said if you want them get them because they will never be that cheap again. Now their mostly in collectors hands. 

Best place I can think to maybe score a deal would be during Knob Creek machine gun shoot.  But I havent been there for a few years so have no idea what vendors will have or be selling for.  

The CMP guys gave good advice.  Good WWII-era carbines are a tough score today.  I intend to have one at some point, but I expect it will cost me dearly.

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

And you have more than earned the right to make that choice and have no questions asked. 🇺🇸

My dad (also a Vietnam vet) is an avid deer hunter and has a very extensive collection of hunting rifles and various handguns. A very outspoken 2nd Amendment advocate and a lifetime NRA member.

Personally, I'm not a collector or a hunter, but I do own one firearm. It's a pearl handled short barrel .38, stored in a very well concealed hidden compartment (of my own design) of my bedroom nightstand. I take it out every 3 months, test fire 6 rounds, clean, oil and reload it.

When each of my sons turn 15, they will receive instruction in performing each of the above steps, along with the lesson that a firearm is a tool that requires the utmost respect. They are not to be treated lightly, and they don't require excessive fear. And, much in line with Ken's post, it's a tool that I have never and hope to never need to put to use. But, threaten the safety of my family or enter my home with bad intentions, and find out how fast that will go out the window.

Kudos on teaching your kids respect for firearms.  I've spent time with my daughter at the range but not to the extent she is ready to carry, so she carries firearm alternatives.  When she and I are comfortable she's ready, I'll properly outfit her. 

...and absolutely...I'm a strong believer in meeting an unwelcome intruder with overwhelming force.  Let's just say me and the wife are well-prepared if the need ever arises.  For people new to the home protection game, I usually recommend a pump 12 or 20-gauge shotgun with a barrel-mounted flashlight.  Very effective and easy to hit what you are aiming at and it won't over-penetrate walls behind a target.  Added bonus is that an intruder will likely soil his drawers when he hears you chamber a shotgun shell.

...but enough of that unpleasantness...one of my favorite activities is target shooting.  My wife and I like to play battleship with 22 target pistols at abut 10 yards.  Actually found battleship board targets at Walmart recently and it's just a blast to play.  I've yet to try them with scoped rifles at 100 yards, but I'm sure we will at some point.

I have a 9mm and AR-15.  Just got into guns 2 years and bought my first 2 years ago. Just for fun at the range and home protection. Would love to get to the range more and develop this hobby - and my proficiency. I probably go to the range 6x per year- mostly over the winter months. My brother just got into guns a year ago and now has 5 or 6. Once you start, I can see where it can be addicting. My 17 year old son got his markmans badge with a .22 but doesn't like handguns. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I have a 9mm and AR-15.  Just got into guns 2 years and bought my first 2 years ago. Just for fun at the range and home protection. Would love to get to the range more and develop this hobby - and my proficiency. I probably go to the range 6x per year- mostly over the winter months. My brother just got into guns a year ago and now has 5 or 6. Once you start, I can see where it can be addicting. My 17 year old son got his markmans badge with a .22 but doesn't like handguns. 

Handguns have an advantage in portability, ability to be concealed and in close quarters combat, if being able to bring it to a ready position quickly is a factor. If those aren't factors, I'll take the rifle any day. I'd own a compact rifle vs a handgun if I could find a way to conceal it in my home.

• Like 1

I am sure some of you gun enthusiasts would be jealous of me.  As I have not one, but two shooting ranges literally within minutes of my house.

In fact, this one at Cherry Creek State Park is so close to my house, that I can hear when it is open.  And especially when someone is using an automatic weapon.

Family Shooting Center at Cherry Creek State Park - 52 Photos & 68 Reviews - Gun/Rifle Ranges - 4201 S Parker Rd, Aurora, CO - Phone Number 

Edited by milehiiu

8 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I am sure some of you gun enthusiasts would be jealous of me.  As I have not one, but two shooting ranges literally within minutes of my house.

In fact, this one at Cherry Creek State Park is so close to my house, that I can hear when it is open.  And especially when someone is using an automatic weapon.

Family Shooting Center at Cherry Creek State Park - 52 Photos & 68 Reviews - Gun/Rifle Ranges - 4201 S Parker Rd, Aurora, CO - Phone Number 

I live in a partially completed subdivision. Theres a totally empty field that backs to a 25 foot earthen embankment that I and a few others have designated as the neighborhood's unofficial shooting range. We're all self regulating about picking up spent casings and making sure it's not being used at inappropriate times.

Oh, and two of the others are local police, which helps....lol

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I live in a partially completed subdivision. Theres a totally empty field that backs to a 25 foot earthen embankment that I and a few others have designated as the neighborhood's unofficial shooting range. We're all self regulating about picking up spent casings and making sure it's not being used at inappropriate times.

Oh, and two of the others are local police, which helps....lol

Neat ! 

I grew up with guns.  I recently got rid of all my hand guns (3) because I never used them.  I now have a Remington single shot .22, a Mossburg 12 gauge pump shotgun,  Remington single shot 4-10,  and a Colt AR-15.  All used for varmint/predator control.  

If you are close enough to federal land like a national forest or all the BLM land out west you can shoot anywhere as long as you are 100 yds. off of the roadway.  I have acres and acres of hoosier national forest just a few minutes away. I have access to a public range an hour away but only use in winter anymore because of too many yahoos. 

Do you remember the first gun you received? Mine was a daisy pump action pellet gun when I was about 10. My stepdad and mom adjusted the clocks to make me think it was about 3 in the morning although it was the time I needed to be up for school. A clever early Christmas present. 

5 hours ago, rico said:

I grew up with guns.  I recently got rid of all my hand guns (3) because I never used them.  I now have a Remington single shot .22, a Mossburg 12 gauge pump shotgun,  Remington single shot 4-10,  and a Colt AR-15.  All used for varmint/predator control.  

What do you recommend for ground hog control?  The farm is getting overrun since our dog passed