Gun Nuts/Collectors?

17 hours ago, rico said:

They have them at Albertson's?

Savage makes a 93R17 model with an adjustable accutrigger.  Also recommend their heavy bull barrel for accuracy.  17HMR is a very tiny bullet that travels 3000 FPS.  It's hard to find entry wounds, but exits can be 3-4 inches across!  Not accurate in windy conditions, though.  At that point, recommend a 22-250 or .223.  17's are accurate to about 100-150 yards tops, but in that range and in quiet conditions, they are an excellent varmint round.  After 150 yards, you have to adjust for a lot of drop.

Edited by FKIM01
clarification
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Im sure they do.  I bought a marlin 17 hmr from them years ago...   you would love the round.  Zero kick, flat shooting, and very accurate.  We've took out varmints at 200+ yds... coyotes at 75yds

You are a better shot than I am!

16 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

It is a souped up .22. You will like it. Taken some squirrels with it.  

...but make sure you head-shoot your squirrels...17's can take out a lot of meat otherwise!

Had a guy tell me that skinning squirrels was a lot tougher with 17 wounds...don't know as I've never done it, personally.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

...but make sure you head-shoot your squirrels...17's can take out a lot of meat otherwise!

Had a guy tell me that skinning squirrels was a lot tougher with 17 wounds...don't know as I've never done it, personally.

I use the 4-10 for squirrels...the buzzards can worry about skinning them.

31 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Thats a fact.  It pretty much takes their heads off.  A body shot, especially the front shoulder area is catastrophic 

4 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Its been over 25 years since I fired a gun. By no means am I anti gun but I am not prepared or educated enough to own any. Sounds odd but an accidental shooting has always been a big fear of mine. 

I might have been 7 years of age.  And a neighbor friend of mine. Earl was his name. Three doors down south of my house. Fired a loaded gun in his house. And killed his younger sister. This was like in the 1950's. But still resonates in my mind.

Once again. I am not anti gun.  People just need to understand.

Then there was my next door neighbor. Who tore a wall out of the basement of his house. In order to have an indoor shooting range. Was there often with his son. Both members of Isaac Walton.  Glen Park part of Gary, Indiana. Which still exists to this day. For you shooters. Check out their website :

Glen Park Izaak Walton – Glen Park Chapter Izaak Walton League of America Inc. Conservation Club and Shooting Sports Facility

And every New Years Eve. Looked forward to them shooting their rifles off  outside, at midnight. To welcome the New Year in.

Edited by milehiiu

4 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Its been over 25 years since I fired a gun. By no means am I anti gun but I am not prepared or educated enough to own any. Sounds odd but an accidental shooting has always been a big fear of mine. 

Accidental shootings happen all the time.  And sometimes an experienced shooter is the one that pulled the trigger.  Even "professionals" let their guards down sometimes and do things that goes against what they know or how they were taught.  

9 hours ago, rico said:

Accidental shootings happen all the time.  And sometimes an experienced shooter is the one that pulled the trigger.  Even "professionals" let their guards down sometimes and do things that goes against what they know or how they were taught.  

That's my thoughts. If I dont have them it lessens the chances of something happening.  

13 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

That's my thoughts. If I dont have them it lessens the chances of something happening.  

That it sure does.  But for a guy like me, I use mine on a regular basis.  I would say I need guns here at the ranch.

20 minutes ago, rico said:

That it sure does.  But for a guy like me, I use mine on a regular basis.  I would say I need guns here at the ranch.

And I promise you know an infinite amount more about gun safety that I. I know for many it might not make any sense but for me guns in my house would create a genuine fear 

My brother and I have had numerous discussions on this and I can't get him to see my concerns  . 

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

And I promise you know an infinite amount more about gun safety that I. I know for many it might not make any sense but for me guns in my house would create a genuine fear 

My brother and I have had numerous discussions on this and I can't get him to see my concerns  . 

I understand.  And I will add this...when I was young, Dad had guns seemingly in every corner.  It was the same with my Grandpa.  It was that way with me UNTIL I started having kids.  I changed my thought process on how I grew up.  I bought a gun safe because I was scared to death one of my kids would think they were toys.

15 minutes ago, rico said:

I understand.  And I will add this...when I was young, Dad had guns seemingly in every corner.  It was the same with my Grandpa.  It was that way with me UNTIL I started having kids.  I changed my thought process on how I grew up.  I bought a gun safe because I was scared to death one of my kids would think they were toys.

Exactly.  Very similar with how my family was. I know that as a kid I could get my hands on a loaded gun anytime.  

14 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I made the decision when I bought mine to be a responsible owner. I keep them locked, make it a point to stay on top of the laws, and keep working on my proficency. 

You might want to look into the fingerprint locks. Just like unlocking your phone these days. 

17 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I made the decision when I bought mine to be a responsible owner. I keep them locked, make it a point to stay on top of the laws, and keep working on my proficency. 

You might want to look into the fingerprint locks. Just like unlocking your phone these days. 

I like hearing the updated safety features.  It's a fear for me that I probably will never be able to overcome