Gun Nuts/Collectors?

Guns are not for everyone and without a doubt, you have to be careful how you store them with young children around the house. I have guns I view as investments, guns I view as adult toys, but first and foremost, they are tools requiring respect and basic safety rules to follow.  My daughter got the speech about guns when she got old enough to understand. Then she got the speech about cars when she got old enough to drive. Along the way, she got the speeches about alcohol, drugs and sex, among other topics. As we saw dangers, we tried to warn her of them in advance. Short of rolling her up in bubble wrap and never allowing her to leave the house, we've done what we could to protect her,  but we've also had to recognize that we live in a dangerous world. Some people won't have a gas stove or gas grill due to the potential danger.  We have gas appliances, guns, knives, drive cars, fly in airplanes and hiked in areas where there were bears and mountain lions.  Thankfully, we've not yet had a break-in or home intruder, but I did once late at night show a guy that I had a revolver holstered under my jacket when he started rapidly approaching me at a gas pump.  He changed course immediately. He didn't say what he wanted but I felt the threat and was pretty rattled the rest if the way home.

We live in a world of threats, unfortunately. 

Now, hopefully back to the entertaining aspects of gun ownership and use....

Living in the country and at the edge of an uninhabited flood plain, I have both pistol and rifle ranges right out my back door. I'm still, unfortunately too busy to get as much range time as I'd like.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Guns are not for everyone and without a doubt, you have to be careful how you store them with young children around the house. I have guns I view as investments, guns I view as adult toys, but first and foremost, they are tools requiring respect and basic safety rules to follow.  My daughter got the speech about guns when she got old enough to understand. Then she got the speech about cars when she got old enough to drive. Along the way, she got the speeches about alcohol, drugs and sex, among other topics. As we saw dangers, we tried to warn her of them in advance. Short of rolling her up in bubble wrap and never allowing her to leave the house, we've done what we could to protect her,  but we've also had to recognize that we live in a dangerous world. Some people won't have a gas stove or gas grill due to the potential danger.  We have gas appliances, guns, knives, drive cars, fly in airplanes and hiked in areas where there were bears and mountain lions.  Thankfully, we've not yet had a break-in or home intruder, but I did once late at night show a guy that I had a revolver holstered under my jacket when he started rapidly approaching me at a gas pump.  He changed course immediately. He didn't say what he wanted but I felt the threat and was pretty rattled the rest if the way home.

We live in a world of threats, unfortunately. 

Now, hopefully back to the entertaining aspects of gun ownership and use....

Living in the country and at the edge of an uninhabited flood plain, I have both pistol and rifle ranges right out my back door. I'm still, unfortunately too busy to get as much range time as I'd like.

One of these days I want to make a trip back to the land of Zellers and shoot a few rounds with you my friend.

A hobby I picked up that ties in with shooting is reloading my own ammo.  Kind of a necessity when you own a garand because modern factory loads can damage them.  

Reloading is something that can be simple or stimulate the science brained types.  So I really nerd out when doing it. Anyone else do it?

7 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

A hobby I picked up that ties in with shooting is reloading my own ammo.  Kind of a necessity when you own a garand because modern factory loads can damage them.  

Reloading is something that can be simple or stimulate the science brained types.  So I really nerd out when doing it. Anyone else do it?

My dad just got into reloading. Has a basic single stage press. Saves a little bit of coin, and (mostly) since he recently retired, gives him something both stimulating and productive to do.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

With this news, 2 million new gun owners in first half of 2020 I thought this thread relevant...

I had guns as a teen and young adult (CVA 50 cal mountain rifle, Remington single shot .410) but never a handgun. Had to qualify every year in the military (.45 and M-16) but with kids in the house, I wouldn't have one...

Went out yesterday and bought a Glock 48 9mm. Scheduled a gun course for me and my wife (she has shot one before but it's been 35 years), and an LTC class after that.

Looking for a biometric safe now...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, IUFLA said:

With this news, 2 million new gun owners in first half of 2020 I thought this thread relevant...

I had guns as a teen and young adult (CVA 50 cal mountain rifle, Remington single shot .410) but never a handgun. Had to qualify every year in the military (.45 and M-16) but with kids in the house, I wouldn't have one...

Went out yesterday and bought a Glock 48 9mm. Scheduled a gun course for me and my wife (she has shot one before but it's been 35 years), and an LTC class after that.

Looking for a biometric safe now...

Did you you get it for target shooting or home defense?  

I get a new gun every year as a Christmas or birthday present.  My latest is a Springfield XD9 for my birthday back in April. 

If for home defense consider getting and laser/flashlight combo. 

8 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Let me know what you figure out on bio safes.  Need to start looking now that the little guy is climbing and trying to get into everything.  

Looking at this one and this one...I don't need anything elaborate. A friend of mine has his bolted to a drawer on his nightstand and I thought I'd do the same...When I buy, I'll post it.

8 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I get a new gun every year as a Christmas or birthday present.  My latest is a Springfield XD9 for my birthday back in April. 

Home/personal defense. I looked at the Streamlight 69280 TLR-6. Good reviews, but I'd appreciate your thoughts...

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I'm a big fan of Springfield. My wife and I both have the mod2 9mm and I have their Saint. 

27 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Looking at this one and this one...I don't need anything elaborate. A friend of mine has his bolted to a drawer on his nightstand and I thought I'd do the same...When I buy, I'll post it.

Home/personal defense. I looked at the Streamlight 69280 TLR-6. Good reviews, but I'd appreciate your thoughts...

Thanks for the tip on the Streamlight. Will be going on my birthday/ Christmas list.

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Looks good to me. I would get option with the laser and save $25. Laser just helps guide you to your target, not meant for aiming but handy to have. 

2 hours ago, Reacher said:

I'm a big fan of Springfield. My wife and I both have the mod2 9mm and I have their Saint. 

Thanks for the tip on the Streamlight. Will be going on my birthday/ Christmas list.

Havent had a chance to shoot mine but like how it handles. I have a week off in July so will break it in then. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Looks good to me. I would get option with the laser and save $25. Laser just helps guide you to your target, not meant for aiming but handy to have. 

Yeah, that's the one I bought...I had Amazon gift cards from Father's Day so I got a cleaning kit, and the flashlight/laser. Still haven't made up my mind on the safe, and I'm also looking at holsters.

My two oldest girls live in Illinois, one across the river from St Louis and the other in Chicagoland. They both have Illinois FOIDs and concealed carry permits, have pistols, and carry almost everywhere they go. When I told them I'd bought a firearm, they both had the same response..."about friggin time!" 

Here's a shot from my middle daughters gun range...they were indoctrinating their little sister (right)...

IMG_0999.JPG

• Like 7

On 6/26/2020 at 9:58 PM, NotIThatLives said:

Let me know what you figure out on bio safes.  Need to start looking now that the little guy is climbing and trying to get into everything.  

Decided on this one.

Billconch safe...I liked the multiple ways to open and the dimensions...

I really wanted something made in the US, but the ones I looked at were twice the price with half the features...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Thanks 1

On 6/27/2020 at 12:10 PM, Reacher said:

I'm constantly amazed by the number and types of women carrying these days. A year or two ago I was at a picnic and sitting at a table with a bunch of old ladies (60s+). A couple worked downtown Chicago but they all carried. Kudos to them! 

I'm not a gun guy. Neighborhood kid growing up killed himself accidentally with parents unlocked guns. Never shot one in my life but respect those who use/store correctly. To your point the different types of people getting guns these days is interesting.

My uncle is retired but volunteers at a few downtown Indy churches and centers. We were having lunch last week and to my absolute astonishment he asked if I knew how to get a gun? I said I had no clue other than google it. I asked him what for....and he said he's been driving this van/bus for years down there and never had a problem. Recently though there's been 4-5 incidents where he said it's time to get one and for people to know he has one. Not sure what I think about any of that.

I applaud personal protection in any form but he's never been a gun guy....I think he's actually more dangerous with one.

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm not a gun guy. Neighborhood kid growing up killed himself accidentally with parents unlocked guns. Never shot one in my life but respect those who use/store correctly. To your point the different types of people getting guns these days is interesting.

My uncle is retired but volunteers at a few downtown Indy churches and centers. We were having lunch last week and to my absolute astonishment he asked if I knew how to get a gun? I said I had no clue other than google it. I asked him what for....and he said he's been driving this van/bus for years down there and never had a problem. Recently though there's been 4-5 incidents where he said it's time to get one and for people to know he has one. Not sure what I think about any of that.

I applaud personal protection in any form but he's never been a gun guy....I think he's actually more dangerous with one.

I don't think enough people realize the responsibility that comes with an owning a gun. From knowing the laws, keeping proficient, and, of course, storing safely.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I don't think enough people realize the responsibility that comes with an owning a gun. From knowing the laws, keeping proficient, and, of course, storing safely.

Yep. All day long. I told him do whatever he thinks is best but if he's putting himself in situations where he thinks he needs a gun maybe take himself out of those situations. Have to catch up on this thread (which I find interesting) later. Off to lose about 5 lbs of water weight with edging day.