Gun Nuts/Collectors?

6 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

How long did your background check take?  I've heard some days it can take an hour or more. 

My experience is that about 90% of buyers are instant approvals.  As soon as I enter all their info and hit submit, I get a proceed notification.

For the remaining 10%, a delay usually lasts at least 24 hours.  That's just how overwhelmed the system is.

...and in my 3 plus years of doing background checks, I have had ONE denial and I guarantee this guy is not a hardened criminal.  He's just unlucky enough yo have a name, address or social security number similar enough to a criminal to trigger a delay.  He's working on getting a UPIN to avoid denials in the future.

This evening, I shot a Chinese military issued SKS from the Korean/early Vietnam era.  I'd bought three of them which had been sitting in cosmoline grease since the 50's & 60's, tore them completely down and ran them through a buddy's parts washer, then oiled them up, reassembled them and put a 40-round pro-mag on the oldest looking one to shoot.  What a blast.  That old war horse cycled the 20 rounds I loaded in it without a hiccup.

5 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

...and in my 3 plus years of doing background checks, I have had ONE denial and I guarantee this guy is not a hardened criminal.  He's just unlucky enough yo have a name, address or social security number similar enough to a criminal to trigger a delay.  He's working on getting a UPIN to avoid denials in the future.

If I remember right, in Indiana, if you have a valid LTC permit you can bypass the NCIS check. 

My wife and I are about to get lifetime  permits asap. 

6 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

This evening, I shot a Chinese military issued SKS from the Korean/early Vietnam era.  I'd bought three of them which had been sitting in cosmoline grease since the 50's & 60's, tore them completely down and ran them through a buddy's parts washer, then oiled them up, reassembled them and put a 40-round pro-mag on the oldest looking one to shoot.  What a blast.  That old war horse cycled the 20 rounds I loaded in it without a hiccup.

My grandpa, who fought in Korea and Vietnam had an sks. The story was it was a battlefield pick up and he sent it home.  No way to really prove it but I dont have it to verify.

But I do remember when you could buy cases of surplus sks for $60 each. 

Edited by mrflynn03

Just now, mrflynn03 said:

If I remember right, in Indiana, if you have a valid LTC permit you can bypass the NCIS check. 

My wife and I are about to get lifetime  permits asap. 

Sorry...not in Indiana...

https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/permanent-brady-permit-chart

Even I as an FFL have to run a NICS check on me when I take personal possession of a gun.

10 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

My grandpa, who fought in Korea and Vietnam had an sks. The story was it was a battlefield take home.  No way to really prove it but I dont have it to verify.

But I do remember when you could buy cases of surplus sks for $60 each. 

They are literally $400-500 now.  That's partially due to time value, partially due to increased collector interest and partially due to what IUFLA posted earlier...record numbers of gun buyers driving the market.

...and as far as proving battlefield take home, I'm not sure you can prove it, but if you find no import marks anywhere on the gun, good chance it is a bring back.  That always adds value.

Edited by FKIM01

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

Sorry...not in Indiana...

https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/permanent-brady-permit-chart

Even I as an FFL have to run a NICS check on me when I take personal possession of a gun.

It's been a while since I've bought a gun. I get one every year for Christmas or bday.  I keep dropping hints to my stepdad(you know who) that I want a Marlin 1892 lever action .357.

2 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

It's been a while since I've bought a gun. I get one every year for Christmas or bday.  I keep dropping hints to my stepdad(you know who) that I want a Marlin 1892 lever action .357.

You're probably thinking a Marlin 1894 357 mag.  I actually have one of those...nice guns.

4 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

They are literally $400-500 now.  That's partially due to time value, partially due to increased collector interest and partially due to what IUFLA posted earlier...record numbers of gun buyers driving the market.

Geez, I'm glad I got my Garand when I did and am kicking myself in the ass for not gettin a Winchester Garand receiver and an Iver Johnson M1 Carbine.  I had the money but I just wanted the M1 Garand at the time. 

• Like 1

Geez, I'm glad I got my Garand when I did and am kicking myself in the ass for not gettin a Winchester Garand receiver and an Iver Johnson M1 Carbine.  I had the money but I just wanted the M1 Garand at the time. 

My most treasured M1 Garand is an International Harvester made in Evansville, Indiana.  IH wasn't very good at making Garands and had to eventually get help from Springfield to mostly finish their contract, so IH Garands are considerably more scarce than other receivers.

In a carbine, the one I don't have that I want is a Rockola.  I just think it would be cool to have a gun made by a jukebox company.

17 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

My most treasured M1 Garand is an International Harvester made in Evansville, Indiana.  IH wasn't very good at making Garands and had to eventually get help from Springfield to mostly finish their contract, so IH Garands are considerably more scarce than other receivers.

In a carbine, the one I don't have that I want is a Rockola.  I just think it would be cool to have a gun made by a jukebox company.

I made a vacation out of it.  I had the option of going to the CMP store in Camp Perry Ohio(Ohio sucks) or Anniston, Alabama.  So I chose the south. It was my wife and I's first vacation after being married. She didnt understand why I would drive 12 hrs to but a rifle. We stopped, stayed in Nashville the first night, her first time there.  Saw the Shiloh/Pittsburgh landing battlefield.  Spent a couple hours in the CMP store, and spent 3 days in Nashville on the way home. When she saw the cmp store she was hooked. Just like when she saw the first Indiana fireworks store. There is a world beyond pop its and sparklers. 

Our handgun permits or cu expired and she is the one pushing me to get lifetime permits.  We will tomorrow.  My wife is from Illinois.  I Taught her well. 

My Garand has a '53 Springfield reciever with a Harrington and Richardson operating rod. The wood is original production, so not modern aftermarket.  Mine was a Greek return.

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

Our handgun permits our currently expired and she is the one pushing me to get lifetime permits.  We will tomorrow.  My wife is from Illinois.  I Taught her well. 

I got lifetime permits seems like 5-6 years ago.  When my daughter turned 18, one of her gifts was a lifetime carry permit.  As I understand, the 4 (5?) year permits are now free but I would always recommend spending the money and getting the lifetime permit unless you're past 70.

5 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I got lifetime permits seems like 5-6 years ago.  When my daughter turned 18, one of her gifts was a lifetime carry permit.  As I understand, the 4 (5?) year permits are now free but I would always recommend spending the money and getting the lifetime permit unless you're past 70.

As much as I would like national reciprocity it's a long shot. But my long term goal is to move to somewhere in Montana. With a lifetime permit I can carry in about 38 states.

There is a reason people from anti freedom states get Utah permits. 

Sales still on the rise...

I thought this tidbit from the article was interesting as well....

"John Kingdon, 42, has marched and signed petitions for gun control, spurred by the 2012 mass shooting at a movie theater in Colorado and another at a gay nightclub in Orlando in 2016. But in May, (he) bought a Sig Sauer P320 semiautomatic pistol online for around $550.

"If I had a hard time getting police to respond to me when we weren't in a pandemic, what about now?" he said."

• Like 1

On 7/14/2020 at 7:56 AM, IUFLA said:

Sales still on the rise...

I thought this tidbit from the article was interesting as well....

"John Kingdon, 42, has marched and signed petitions for gun control, spurred by the 2012 mass shooting at a movie theater in Colorado and another at a gay nightclub in Orlando in 2016. But in May, (he) bought a Sig Sauer P320 semiautomatic pistol online for around $550.

"If I had a hard time getting police to respond to me when we weren't in a pandemic, what about now?" he said."

I've been told very similar things from two first-time buyers this year.  Both bought out of concern over rising violence and possibly reduced police presence.  They both agreed they would need some practice to get comfortable with it, but I did at least give them some basic takedown, carry and dry-fire instruction at the shop when they bought.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

National ammo shortage

A wise man once told me to buy cheap and stack it deep so I did. Also, 2 is 1 and 1 is none. 

Almost impossible to find 9mm ammo under .40 per any more...

I joined a gun club and they usually have target rounds for around .50 per...I did stock up right after I bought my gun, so I'm ok for right now...

But I have a friend who's been preparing for in his words, "this time" since the 80s...He told me he had me covered if I needed anything...

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Almost impossible to find 9mm ammo under .40 per any more...

I joined a gun club and they usually have target rounds for around .50 per...I did stock up right after I bought my gun, so I'm ok for right now...

But I have a friend who's been preparing for in his words, "this time" since the 80s...He told me he had me covered if I needed anything...

Sounds like a good friend you have. If I would run out of anything, lol, my stepdad would have me covered. 

4 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Sounds like a good friend you have. If I would run out of anything, lol, my stepdad would have me covered. 

He is...Big ol Texas boy I met in the USAF years ago...I'm living about 90 miles from where he grew up, so he comes for a visit now and again...I always buy him a fifth of Old Forester 1920...Last time he was down I took him to my gun range...

"Too many paper targets and not enough coffee cans."

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

He is...Big ol Texas boy I met in the USAF years ago...I'm living about 90 miles from where he grew up, so he comes for a visit now and again...I always buy him a fifth of Old Forester 1920...Last time he was down I took him to my gun range...

"Too many paper targets and not enough coffee cans."

Paper targets are fun.  So are old cellphones, TVs, and cars. 

We had a family reunion at my grandpa's farm one year.  My uncle had bought a Browning 1919 machine gun kit from shotgun news and fabricated a crank fired trigger mechanism for it, so technically single shot.  Set it up on a tripod, and me my cousin burned through 100 round belts of .30 cal and cut down a small tree my grandpa had wanted gone. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 3