Gun Nuts/Collectors?

On 7/8/2020 at 1:50 AM, FKIM01 said:

As I understand, the 4 (5?) year permits are now free but I would always recommend spending the money and getting the lifetime permit unless you're past 70.

Hey Boy...don't rain on us old farts that are 70 or so. My mind is still in as good a shape as when I was 40. (My body?...not so much) But the doc says I got another 15+ years ahead of me, and both of my parents lived to 90. So take it easy on us. We're not as feeble as  you might think!! :nansplit:

And I'm still a pretty good shot...so is the wife.

Edited by DWB
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, DWB said:

Hey Boy...don't rain on us old farts that are 70 or so. My mind is still in as good a shape as when I was 40. (My body?...not so much) But the doc says I got another 15+ years ahead of me, and both of my parents lived to 90. So take it easy on us. We're not as feeble as  you might think!! :nansplit:

And I'm still a pretty good shot...so is the wife.

😂😂😂...Hey, that's great.  Didn't mean to pick on anyone over an arbitrary age...was just contemplating the idea of diminishing returns. I'm all for us senior citizens exercising our rights and staying sharp. 

Worked my first gun show since the pandemic and I must say that without anyone standing outside and enforcing masks, show attendees are still better at wearing them than your average Walmart shopper.

Good day...did a good amount of business and made several new friends.  I really enjoy the show atmosphere. 

• Like 2

Those of you shopping for ammunition may have noticed recently that it's getting a lot harder (and more expensive) to find and purchase.  For example, typically, you could recently find a 50-round box of 9mm for $10-15.  A guy at the Loogootee show on Saturday showed me a picture from the Terre Haute show he'd just come from.  It was a 50-round box of FMJ 9mm for $65.  Nothing special...just typical range ammo.  Holy cow...here we go again...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2020 at 12:39 AM, FKIM01 said:

Those of you shopping for ammunition may have noticed recently that it's getting a lot harder (and more expensive) to find and purchase.  For example, typically, you could recently find a 50-round box of 9mm for $10-15.  A guy at the Loogootee show on Saturday showed me a picture from the Terre Haute show he'd just come from.  It was a 50-round box of FMJ 9mm for $65.  Nothing special...just typical range ammo.  Holy cow...here we go again...

I just bought 5 boxes of 9mm Luger 115 Grain FMJ Brass Case Maxxtech Ammo for $25.95 a box through SGAmmo...5 was as much as they'd let me buy...

In the current climate, I thought it was a fairly good deal...

BTW, was wondering if you or @mrflynn03 had an opinion on this rifle. was considering it for home defense.

Edited by IUFLA

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I just bought 5 boxes of 9mm Luger 115 Grain FMJ Brass Case Maxxtech Ammo for $25.95 a box through SGAmmo...5 was as much as they'd let me buy...

BTW, was wondering if you or @mrflynn03 had an opinion on this rifle. was considering it for home defense.

I don"t have alot of experience with AK's yet.  But imports are typically better made than US made rifles.  A WASR -10 is a pretty popular entry level model that is in that same price range.

Buyers guide

One thing to look for is you want a chrome lined barrel.  Chrome lining protects the barrel from corrosion and are easier to clean, and with an AK, at some point you will probably shoot corrosive ammo.

You will also see chrome - moly and maybe nitride coated barrels but its not the same level of protection.

Atlantic Firearms is a good website to check out.

I would say for your purpose the Century looks solid, and right now the best rifle is the one that is in stock.  You always have to option to upgrade or add to what you already have later on.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Sad to say, that is not a bad deal in today's market for 9mm. 

On the VSKA, that's pretty much where the AK market is. Last year,  you could but it for about 500. It's just nuts.  I just put a WASR-10 on the website at $900. A year ago, those were $650.  SKS market a year ago was $300 now its $500.  Those all shoot the cheap 7.62X39 round and I'm guessing that's driving demand.

If you want to see true insanity, look at the 12 gauge home defense market.

3 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I don"t have alot of experience with AK's yet.  But imports are typically better made than US made rifles.  A WASR -10 is a pretty popular entry level model that is in that same price range.

Buyers guide

One thing to look for is you want a chrome lined barrel.  Chrome lining protects the barrel from corrosion and are easier to clean, and with an AK, at some point you will probably shoot corrosive ammo.

You will also see chrome - moly and maybe nitride coated barrels but its not the same level of protection.

Atlantic Firearms is a good website to check out.

I would say for your purpose the Century looks solid, and right now the best rifle is the one that is in stock.  You always have to option to upgrade or add to what you already have later on.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Sad to say, that is not a bad deal in today's market for 9mm. 

On the VSKA, that's pretty much where the AK market is. Last year,  you could but it for about 500. It's just nuts.  I just put a WASR-10 on the website at $900. A year ago, those were $650.  SKS market a year ago was $300 now its $500.  Those all shoot the cheap 7.62X39 round and I'm guessing that's driving demand.

If you want to see true insanity, look at the 12 gauge home defense market.

My friend who's really into this kind of stuff is steering me more toward an AR-15...Told me to get a Colt if I can find one reasonable...

His rationale was that if my wife was going to shoot it, it'd be easier for her to handle than an AK-47...

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

My friend who's really into this kind of stuff is steering me more toward an AR-15...Told me to get a Colt if I can find one reasonable...

His rationale was that if my wife was going to shoot it, it'd be easier for her to handle than an AK-47...

I went with the Springfield Saint AR15 and have been very happy with it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Now we're in my territory.  Colt 6920 is the gold standard.  Only reason I dont have one is I like to assemble mine and can get parts of equal quality a little cheaper. But off the shelf it would be one of my top choices. Also recommended checking out Daniel Defense and Bravo Company USA.  My first rifle, everything except lower receiver came from Bravo, great stuff. 

Great thing about AR's is you can have 1 lower and still run multiple different uppers. And you can get a .22lr conversion kit for practice if you dont want a dedicated .22lr upper.

If you go that route I would make sure to get one chambered in 5.56.  

I agree the recoil is more forgiving for the ladies. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

If you're looking for family friendly, I'd consider an AR pistol.  Same round and capacity but a 7 or 10-inch barrel instead of 16 inches.  Lighter and easier to sweep around corners if you are looking to defend your castle.  Get a full-size AR if you are wanting accuracy at a distance of 100 yards or so.  We outfit home defense pistols with red dot or holo sights and laser/flashlight combos.

...and I've shot Rock Rivers, Bushmasters, DPMS Panthers, Colts, Smith & Wessons, Springfields, Wyndhams and Andersons.  I honestly don't see a lot of difference in performance.  Maybe it makes a difference if you are shooting at sniper distance, but inside of 100 yards, I just don't see it.  To each to his own, I guess.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

If you're looking for family friendly, I'd consider an AR pistol.  Same round and capacity but a 7 or 10-inch barrel instead of 16 inches.  Lighter and easier to sweep around corners if you are looking to defend your castle.  Get a full-size AR if you are wanting accuracy at a distance of 100 yards or so.  We outfit home defense pistols with red dot or holo sights and laser/flashlight combos.

...and I've shot Rock Rivers, Bushmasters, DPMS Panthers, Colts, Smith & Wessons, Springfields, Wyndhams and Andersons.  I honestly don't see a lot of difference in performance.  Maybe it makes a difference if you are shooting at sniper distance, but inside of 100 yards, I just don't see it.  To each to his own, I guess.

The difference is the little things like gas key and castle nut staking, type of barrel material plus lining if done at all.  But mine were put together with the intention of putting alot of rounds downrange. 

Another thing I just remembered.  When buying an AR, pick a rifle with a 1:7 twist rate. 1:7 twist can handle heavier grain ammo and home defense ammo up to 80gr.

Cheaper budget models have 1/9 twist which top out about 55gr.  

It's just money, spend an extra $250-$300 on some quality. Buy once cry once. Or buy 2 or 3 or build your own too. 

4 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

@IUFLA

Couple other things, whatever you choose get a good sling.  And if an AR replace that horrible standard plastic grip with something comfortable. 

I'm going to quote myself and say why you need a good sling.  If you are dealing with a home intruder and they get close enough to you grab your rifle that sling holds the rifle to your body. They cant take it from you.  Also. You can wrap the sling in your non shooting hand and cinch the stock up into your shoulder and your non shooting hand acts as a stand up tripod.

Second part, those standard plastic grips seriously suck. If you shoot alot, I have probably put 15,000 rds down range, I replaced that peice of crap after 1 range trip. I like magpul moe pistol grip. $20. If can you screw in a receptacle cover you can replace a pistol grip. 

Edited by mrflynn03

6 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I like this chart. Wonder how many are first timers?  I've seen articles that try to downplay it as hoarders but I dont think so. 

nics-background-checks-june-01.png

There are an amazing number of new buyers.  I've seen it personally and shipped guns to New Jersey and California this last month.  Both ended up with new buyers, after they passed background in their home states.  Both were home defense 12 gauge pumps.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

There are an amazing number of new buyers.  I've seen it personally and shipped guns to New Jersey and California this last month.  Both ended up with new buyers, after they passed background in their home states.  Both were home defense 12 gauge pumps.

Honestly blows my mind you are doing business with people that far away. I would buy from you if I needed to but we both know that isn't necessary.  Keep up the good work. 

33 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Honestly blows my mind you are doing business with people that far away. I would buy from you if I needed to but we both know that isn't necessary.  Keep up the good work. 

I'm just using a national platform to work down some excess inventory that people don't need locally.  It's good to have a little excess inventory when demand spikes.

• Like 2

Had an interesting adventure today helping a friend sight in rifles, with the intent of letting him shoot an AK and some ARs as well, but unfortunately, we never got that far...

He had a scoped Remington 30-06 that I set up on a table,and strapped down on a lead sled to sight in.  It had been his son's and he'd obtained possession as I suspect his son owed him funds.  I asked him if he thought it was already sighted and he did, so we skipped bore-sighting it with a laser and set up at about 80 yards (was guessing...couldn't find my rangefinder...ended up being 83 yards).  I asked him if he wanted me to shoot it first and he indicated that he preferred that so he could see how I set up.  Once I was set, he watched from the spotting scope and after I shot, told me I was just high and right.  It was inside of an inch so every thing looked pretty close and I told him he should shoot a few rounds to see where he was with it while I spotted for him before considering any adjustment.  I had him cycle my shell and chamber the next and as he settled in, I moved to the spotting scope.

He fired, and I saw he was just slightly above center with the bullseye just about an inch and a half to the left.  As I was telling him where he was, I came up to see him standing there with a stunned look on his face and blood pouring out of his head just above his eye.  My first thought before I had a chance to examine the scene more thoroughly was "My God!!!  The bolt blew out the back of the receiver and nailed him!!!"  I asked him what happened and he said he thought the scope had hit him when he shot.  I ran in to get some paper towels and as he blotted the worst of it away, I could see that he had a deep gash a little more than half an inch long.  He asked what I thought and I said definitely stitches (ended up being five), so I dialed his wife on my phone so he could speak to her and we told her what had happened.  Thankfully, living with this character, she's seen it all and wasn't flustered.  She came down and took him to the ER to get stitched up.  Last thing he told me was he still wanted to shoot the ARs and AK and buy something this fall, so at least he's not gun-shy after the experience.  His wife told me later after I apologized for the third time that he was mostly pissed at himself for being so stupid.  Deconstructing what happened, he told me he hadn't watched where I positioned my eye related to the scope and had put his eye RIGHT ON THE SCOPE.  The scope was designed to give a full view three inches away from the viewing end and by putting his eye on the scope, he was only seeing a small picture in the middle of the viewing field.  It's a wonder he was as accurate as he was.

I felt terrible for looking away just before he shot to watch through the spotting scope and missing this major mistake.  I didn't anticipate the issue because this guy is in his 60's and has shot an old 8mm German Mauser he has, various shotguns and several 22's.  My mistake was not knowing that he'd never shot a high-powered rifle (or shotgun) with a scope.  He got a rough lesson in eye relief and I got a lesson in never assuming knowledge or experience.  The only positive thing is, I did advise him to take off his glasses telling him that just like with binoculars, you don't need glasses when using a scope.  I can only imagine the mess we would have faced if he'd had those on when he got scoped.

He had fun telling the NP (who was a desert storm vet) while he was being stitched up what happened and showing him the picture of his shot on the target and he at least felt good knowing he could shoot the gun with a good level of accuracy, but I'd guarantee he learned a lesson he'll never forget,  We're both relieved that he didn't damage his eye in the process.  I won't share his identity, but many of you members here in Indiana would know the guy or at least know his name.  I've counted him as a personal friend for the last 25 years, but it goes to show that you can know a guy for a long time and still not know some things about him.  Good lessons learned on both our parts today and it reinforced our healthy respect for firearms.

Post Script:  Aside from keeping your eye a safe distance from a scope when shooting, here's another tip I learned personally (and painfully) several years ago...when shooting semi-automatic handguns ALWAYS make sure ALL of your hands, fingers, knuckles, etc. holding the gun are BELOW the slide before firing! {OUCH}

425799822_Johnnybullseye.jpg.7579353a1654d4b84f760e5993c93c96.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

@FKIM01

I can relate to this story. So, I got Savage .308 when I was in 6th grade and got a scope for it. And would shoot at targets  200-300 hundred yards out behind my house. I learned real quick not to get your eye socket to close to the scope. Luckily I didn't need stitches.  

By the grace of God, I've never been scoped...at least nothing bad enough to recall.  After experiencing what I did yesterday, I can just about guarantee I never will.  I can also promise that eye relief will always be a part of my training checklist when instructing shooters going forward.

Edited by FKIM01

Quality optics make a difference.  The industry standard for eye relief is 3.5 inches.  My minimum is Leopold VX-1 3x9x40 or Nikon Buckmaster 3x9x40. Own both and have better and have owned lesser. 

Problem with cheap optics is the glass and reticle suck. So if dialing in a 3×9 to the 9 magnification like I did when I got scoped you end up have 2.5 inches or less eye relief and get drilled in the eye socket. 

Rule of thumb I learned, your optics should equal the price of the rifle, give or take a few dollars. 

My first though on how far the Scope will jump backwards, it is equal to how firm your shoulder is. Flimsy/ Hard. But I get reminded often now that I am just too much of a hard casse.

But lets shift a little more towards me.

I found a back pack in the middle of the road this weekend. Thinking that I would find some contact info inside, I went back after it.

I found 150 rounds of 9mm Blazer Hollow points, Mags for a Glock Pistol. Standard stubby for a model 43, a 33 round stick and a 50 round drum. ALL fully loaded.

The more I dug into the backpack, it said it was now mine. :)

Now, I'm off to find my new 9mm Glock or Ruger PC Carbine... hmmmmm

1 hour ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

My first though on how far the Scope will jump backwards, it is equal to how firm your shoulder is. Flimsy/ Hard. But I get reminded often now that I am just too much of a hard casse.

But lets shift a little more towards me.

I found a back pack in the middle of the road this weekend. Thinking that I would find some contact info inside, I went back after it.

I found 150 rounds of 9mm Blazer Hollow points, Mags for a Glock Pistol. Standard stubby for a model 43, a 33 round stick and a 50 round drum. ALL fully loaded.

The more I dug into the backpack, it said it was now mine. :)

Now, I'm off to find my new 9mm Glock or Ruger PC Carbine... hmmmmm

Umm,  you got lucky and found a goody pack. 

I wouldn't have went close to that. 

One year on a black Friday in Evansville saw an unattended package outside of Home Depot.  Called to police and let the bomb squad deal with it. 

• Like 1