Jump to content

Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!


Sign in to follow this  
FKIM01

Gun Nuts/Collectors?

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I don't think enough people realize the responsibility that comes with an owning a gun. From knowing the laws, keeping proficient, and, of course, storing safely.

I'm quickly coming to appreciate those points. I have one friend (native Texan) who carries all the time. He's very cautious even though he's been carrying for 30+ years. 

I know how to shoot...but the subtleties of safety are my main focus right now. Trying to schedule an intro class, but they're hard to get into right now. September 5th is the earliest one I've found so far...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you carry outside the house read up on force escalation.  The last thing I want to do is pull and use it. I would rather walk away or give a good ole country ass beating than use my sidearm. 

Also practice OPSEC.  Do not let your neighbors know that you own or what you own.

Have a story from last October if anyone wants to hear it. Im still here so it ended well but could it could have went sideways.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

If you carry outside the house read up on force escalation.  The last thing I want to do is pull and use it. I would rather walk away or give a good ole country ass beating than use my sidearm. 

Also practice OPSEC.  Do not let your neighbors know that you own or what you own.

Have a story from last October if anyone wants to hear it. Im still here so it ended well but could it could have went sideways.

Well Were Waiting GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BDB said:

Well Were Waiting GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

So last October, a friday night. The wife and I had some drinks. Anyway, my neighbors and the parents that own the property nextdoor have been disputing the property line.  For brevity, I have adverse possession on my side and my 2nd cousin is the county surveyor.

But to get to the nitty gritty, 2 weeks before this happened I found evidence of someone trying to break in my house.  So I was armed and ready. Long story short, my neighbors swatted me.  They called the city police and told them I was outside shooting at my neighbors house. 

So am doing a number 1 at 130 in the morning and hear what sounds like someone kicking in my door. I come around the corner with an AR-15 Rifle and a cop pointing a pistol at me. My entrance is double glass french doors.  Saw him and dropped the rifle both hands in air. Was cuffed until 5 am. 

They searched my house and property and found nothing because I didn't do anything.  Still my choices we jail or they take my property and I get it back the next day. So they took it and I got it back. 

Edited by mrflynn03

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

So last October, a friday night. The wife and I had some drinks. Anyway, my neighbors and the parents that own the property nextdoor have been disputing the property line.  For brevity, I have adverse possession on my side and my 2nd cousin is the county surveyor.

But to get to the nitty gritty, 2 weeks before this happened I found evidence of someone trying to break in my house.  So I was armed and ready. Long story short, my neighbors swatted me.  They called the city police and told them I was outside shooting at my neighbors house. 

So am doing a number 1 at 130 in the morning and hear what sounds like someone kicking in my door. I come around the corner with an AR-15 Rifle and a cop pointing a pistol at me. My entrance is double glass french doors.  Saw him and dropped the rifle both hands in air. Was cuffed until 5 am. 

They searched my house and property and found nothing because I didn't do anything.  Still my choices we jail or they take my property and I get it back the next day. So they took it and I got it back. 

Freaking crazy.

I have a federal firearms license that I got mostly for my personal collecting habit, but in the past 30 days, I've transferred about 70 guns...never seen anything like it.  My "shop" is not advertised, save a very basic website that has a phone number but no street address, so I really don't go out of my way to do business since it's just a sideline apart from my day job.  Several first-time owners in that mix too...all demographics.  I've got ideas what's driving a dramatic upswing in gun and ammo purchasing, but I'm not going to diverge from the topic.  I personally ankle-carry a Ruger LC9s with two extra mags, but I have several favorites if anyone is shopping and wants advice.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Freaking crazy.

I have a federal firearms license that I got mostly for my personal collecting habit, but in the past 30 days, I've transferred about 70 guns...never seen anything like it.  My "shop" is not advertised, save a very basic website that has a phone number but no street address, so I really don't go out of my way to do business since it's just a sideline apart from my day job.  Several first-time owners in that mix too...all demographics.  I've got ideas what's driving a dramatic upswing in gun and ammo purchasing, but I'm not going to diverge from the topic.  I personally ankle-carry a Ruger LC9s with two extra mags, but I have several favorites if anyone is shopping and wants advice.

2 takeaways from that experience, #1 dont trust your neighbors, #2 I'm ready to drop the hammer.  Thank the lord myself and that officer were able to keep the booger hook off the bang switch.  

I feel people are starting to wise up and realize that nobody is coming to save them. We are responsible for ourselves.  

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I'm quickly coming to appreciate those points. I have one friend (native Texan) who carries all the time. He's very cautious even though he's been carrying for 30+ years. 

I know how to shoot...but the subtleties of safety are my main focus right now. Trying to schedule an intro class, but they're hard to get into right now. September 5th is the earliest one I've found so far...

Whenever I transfer a firearm for a new shooter, I spend about 15-20 minutes going over basic gun safety and basic education for their new firearm.  I've also had range sessions for a couple of new owners this year.  I see the 15-20 minute session during the transfer as the bare minimum before allowing a new owner to leave with their firearm.  I encourage additional training, but that's on the owner.  Thankfully, most new owners see the value in spending time learning the gun before walking out with it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess gun handling and safety comes naturally to me since I have had experience with guns and hunting starting at the age of 5 and spent my childhood involved in scouting and hunting. Learned Coopers 4 rules from an age.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

If you carry outside the house read up on force escalation.  The last thing I want to do is pull and use it. I would rather walk away or give a good ole country ass beating than use my sidearm. 

Also practice OPSEC.  Do not let your neighbors know that you own or what you own.

Have a story from last October if anyone wants to hear it. Im still here so it ended well but could it could have went sideways.

Yeah, it's very doubtful I'll carry all the time, even though I will get a LTC. 

I'm not the kind that is going to pull it at the drop of a hat and swing it around like those dopey lawyers in St Louis (and I'd have been cool with them just coming out with their weapons, just not waving them around like drunken cowboys)...

I told my daughter's when they purchased guns...they're not for show or to "scare" somebody...if you pull it, you should be intending to use it to protect yourself and that's all...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, it's very doubtful I'll carry all the time, even though I will get a LTC. 

I'm not the kind that is going to pull it at the drop of a hat and swing it around like those dopey lawyers in St Louis (and I'd have been cool with them just coming out with their weapons, just not waving them around like drunken cowboys)...

I told my daughter's when they purchased guns...they're not for show or to "scare" somebody...if you pull it, you should be intending to use it to protect yourself and that's all...

I dont carry very often, I only take it with me when I go to Indy or Louisville and keep it in the truck. If I feel I need it I just avoid those types of places. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if it's hard to get ammo in other places, but here in Texas in brick and mortar stores, it's difficult. People are hoarding in guess...I couldn't even find any to go range shooting with.

Anyway I found this site ammoseek.com that has inventory trackers for online sites. Have been able to get 9mm range ammo at .22 per and hollow points for .80.

Edited by IUFLA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know if it's hard to get ammo in other places, but here in Texas in brick and mortar stores, it's difficult. People are hoarding in guess...I couldn't even find any to go range shooting with.

Anyway I found this site ammoseek.com that has inventory trackers for online sites. Have been able to get 9mm range ammo at .22 per and hollow points for .80.

9mm is a challenge.  I have three cases of Blazer brass on backorder at my wholesaler.  I don't see any brass case on ammoseek under 36 cents a round, which is crazy.  By the time you pay shipping, you are probably at 40 cents or more.  I've been selling Federal brass at 32 cents a round, but only with gun purchases until my backorder fills.

Got a buddy who has a shop in Corsicana, TX.  Week before last, he went through ten cases of 9mm.  I'd say there's some hoarding going on.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

9mm is a challenge.  I have three cases of Blazer brass on backorder at my wholesaler.  I don't see any brass case on ammoseek under 36 cents a round, which is crazy.  By the time you pay shipping, you are probably at 40 cents or more.  I've been selling Federal brass at 32 cents a round, but only with gun purchases until my backorder fills.

Got a buddy who has a shop in Corsicana, TX.  Week before last, he went through ten cases of 9mm.  I'd say there's some hoarding going on.

Part hoarding, part the millions of new gun owners that just need ammo and want to practice. Over the past few years I've seen the number of ranges increase to serve that demand. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2020 at 6:45 PM, IUFLA said:

Yeah, it's very doubtful I'll carry all the time, even though I will get a LTC. 

I'm not the kind that is going to pull it at the drop of a hat and swing it around like those dopey lawyers in St Louis (and I'd have been cool with them just coming out with their weapons, just not waving them around like drunken cowboys)...

I told my daughter's when they purchased guns...they're not for show or to "scare" somebody...if you pull it, you should be intending to use it to protect yourself and that's all...

Yeah, the St. Louis couple showed some inexperience in handling their guns.  I'm sure with some feedback, they'll be more responsible going forward.  I am 100% on their right to defend their home and themselves in the face of a threat.

On 6/30/2020 at 11:34 PM, mrflynn03 said:

I don't carry very often, I only take it with me when I go to Indy or Louisville and keep it in the truck. If I feel I need it I just avoid those types of places. 

Unless I am in a place that forbids it (courthouses, airports, etc.), I carry all the time.  I can also tell you that most people who carry regularly either ignore no carry signs on businesses or don't go into those places.  Their logic is, criminals ignore those signs and better to be prepared and apologize later than to be defenseless and slaughtered.  Don't expect everyone to agree with that philosophy, but I understand it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Reacher said:

Part hoarding, part the millions of new gun owners that just need ammo and want to practice. Over the past few years I've seen the number of ranges increase to serve that demand. 

Absolutely.  That's part of the story as well.  I've been frankly surprised at some of the people I've seen buying guns in the past 3-4 months...just not at all the kind of people I had any idea had any interest in firearms.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another member shared this story with me and it illustrates that if you decide to carry a gun, you'd best already have planned how you will respond to a threat.  I'd guarantee if a car stopped in the street and these two guys got out and came at me, my gun would already be drawn. 

https://www.nbc15.com/2020/07/01/mpd-two-arrested-in-extremely-violent-attack-in-madison/

He's very lucky he wasn't shot with his own gun.  If you're going to carry, be prepared to answer a threat.  Otherwise, you shouldn't carry.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Yeah, the St. Louis couple showed some inexperience in handling their guns.  I'm sure with some feedback, they'll be more responsible going forward.  I am 100% on their right to defend their home and themselves in the face of a threat.

Oh, I'm not against what they did, just the way they did it...The lady was especially irresponsible in her handling of the pistol...

But, you're correct. In my eyes, they do have every right to protect themselves and their property...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Out of ammo?  Whats that like? 😁

You sound like my friend who carries all the time...He always tells me, "I have enough ammo to do my part in the war."

I asked him on the phone how many handguns he had, and he wouldn't answer me...when we met face-to-face, he said he had 29...he wouldn't say it on the phone though...

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You sound like my friend who carries all the time...He always tells me, "I have enough ammo to do my part in the war."

I asked him on the phone how many handguns he had, and he wouldn't answer me...when we met face-to-face, he said he had 29...he wouldn't say it on the phone though...

 

29...that's a good start. :coffee:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

Out of ammo?  Whats that like? 😁

I'll never know that personally but I may well know soon for my little shop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FKIM01 said:

I'll never know that personally but I may well know soon for my little shop.

After things settled down after 08, in addition to reloading supplies, every trip to wal mart I would rescue a box of 9mm or 5.56/.223 until I was satisfied.

Also would buy 1 pmag a week from aim surplus, $10 and free shipping, with the intention of capitalizing on panic buying if it happens again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

After things settled down after 08, in addition to reloading supplies, every trip to wal mart I would rescue a box of 9mm or 5.56/.223 until I was satisfied.

Also would buy 1 pmag a week from aim surplus, $10 and free shipping, with the intention of capitalizing on panic buying if it happens again. 

Yeah, I decided awhile back that reloading would be a very wise decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...