Gun Nuts/Collectors?

I shared with @FKIM01 that I had bought a Glock 43X though Glock's Blue Label program. I'd never heard of it before, but it basically let's honorably discharged veterans purchase one firearm a year from a supporting firearms dealer at a discounted price from Memorial Day through Veterans Day (the program is open to police, first responders, and select others year round for 2 firearms per year). Bought mine through GT Distributors for between $100-$150 bucks off of retail. 

Good deal...

Mods, if this breaks any forum rules please delete, but I think it's something our veterans on here should know about...

Oh, I should add, I had to have mine sent from GT Distributors to an FFL (Federal Firearms License holder) and the FFL does charge a small fee ($25 in this case). I had to pick the gun up at the FFL.

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 4

Glock's blue label program is a nice gesture and especially helpful at a time when a lot of stuff is going for suggested retail and more.  I'm too small to participate, but for those who qualify, it's a good deal.  If you click on the link, you'll see that law enforcement, EMTs, fire fighters (paid and volunteer) and even certain security company employees qualify as well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, BeerBQ said:

Sorry if it’s too off topic (not sure it deserves it’s own thread), but are there any knife people?

I picked these up this morning and wasn’t sure about them. I assume the one with writing on the blade is promotional. 

BA25F997-F3D9-4321-A7F7-01E6D23506EE.jpeg

Back in the day, there were Buck knife diehards and Barlow Knife diehards. It was a ford/ Chevy fight.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else go digging around drawers and closets in their house and find ammo they didn't know they had?  

Was looking for a mini Phillips head screwdriver to replace batteries in one of at least 2 dozen Christmas decorations my wife has bought. Looking like the north pole around here. 

Anyway found a couple hundred rounds of different calibers I didnt know I had. Time to go make things go bang I guess. 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, rico said:

What are some recommendations for a hand gun for a woman?  Tammy wants one.

My middle daughter has an Smith and Wesson M&P Shield 9MM and likes it...She's around 5'4 and 105 lbs, but very wirey and strong for her size...

My wife shot a ton of guns at our gun range, all makes and calibers, and chose the Glock 43X 9MM...She's 5'6 and around 130 lbs...

9MM in my eyes is nice for women because it has the power to put someone down but the kick isn't too bad...Ammo is hard to find almost anywhere...I go to https://ammoseek.com/ and have built up 1,500 rounds trying to keep it under .50 per round...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you are thinking about getting a gun and know what caliber you want start buying ammo now, when you can get it. Guns are easy to get. Hell, I got a few I would trade or sell. 

Ammo is going to be the hard part. There is no inventory right now.  Its straight from the production line and out the store door. And the new EPA will try to ban lead. Guaranteed.

A gun without ammo is a paperweight.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, IUFLA said:

My middle daughter has an Smith and Wesson M&P Shield 9MM and likes it...She's around 5'4 and 105 lbs, but very wirey and strong for her size...

My wife shot a ton of guns at our gun range, all makes and calibers, and chose the Glock 43X 9MM...She's 5'6 and around 130 lbs...

9MM in my eyes is nice for women because it has the power to put someone down but the kick isn't too bad...Ammo is hard to find almost anywhere...I go to https://ammoseek.com/ and have built up 1,500 rounds trying to keep it under .50 per round...

I have 2 M&P shields.  Compact and subcompact.  Which does your daughter have?  Good handguns but, me having big hands, the subcompact has its limitations.  I'm accurate to about 12 yrds with it which is fine for a self defense weapon. My wife handles it better. 

I used to care about concealment but anymore not so much. 

If I carry it's my 1911, Eastwood Gran Torino style. In Indiana you can carry concealed or open. I dont open carry but if it prints I dont really care. 

I have a stripped lower I'm considering building into an SBR. 

9 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I have 2 M&P shields.  Compact and subcompact.  Which does your daughter have?  Good handguns but, me having big hands, the subcompact has its limitations.  I'm accurate to about 12 yrds with it which is fine for a self defense weapon. My wife handles it better. 

I used to care about concealment but anymore not so much. 

If I carry it's my 1911, Eastwood Gran Torino style. In Indiana you can carry concealed or open. I dont open carry but if it prints I dont really care. 

I have a stripped lower I'm considering building into an SBR. 

She's got the compact.

Goes shooting at her range twice a week. She's pretty proficient. And she has a concealed carry permit (Illinois). 

Both my wife and I have our LTCs for Texas. The laws here are funny. You have to read what a store or restaurant has posted before you can go in carrying. Some you can open carry, but not concealed carry, and others you can conceal but not open carry. Some prohibit both. I always make sure I know before I go somewhere, as I don't like leaving them in the car.

I prefer the Glocks simply because of the reliability factor. I know they have their detractors, but most the people who I know personally that carry have a Glock on their hip.

• Like 1

A 38 snub is a good choice if you can only buy one.  If you can buy two, I'd definitely consider a short 20-gauge pump or AR pistol for home defense. If your lady is recoil-shy, you might step down to a 410 for home defense. 

For carry, I love the 32 Beretta Tomcat for ladies. A 38 snub is a good choice as well, but my all-time favorite for concealed carry is the Ruger LC9s or it's cheaper sibling, the EC9s.  The trigger is superior to any carry gun I've shot in it's class and I've shot far more expensive guns with inferior triggers.

Without knowing what fits her hands, though, the best recommendation is for her to go to a shop, hold/squeeze several and find one that fits.  Ideally, you can find a range where you can rent and shoot different guns before buying.

Biggest issue right now is inventory. Guns are just hard to find.  Saw a quote from a gun shop 3-4 months back that said something to the effect of "you're four months late to be picky about size, style or caliber."  Ammo is even tougher. Tremendous demand right now.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...