First Car, Worst Car, Favorite Car

IUFLA

Guys are car junkies, so I thought this would be interesting...

First car: Kelly Green 1972 Olds Cutlass 350 engine

Worst car: 1997 Ford Taurus. I would list all of the stuff that went on with that piece of junk, but I don't want to crash HSN's server. The fact that you had to take the exhaust off at the manifold to remove the oil pan should tell you all you need to know. 

Favorite car: 1975 Pontiac Trans-Am 400, 4 speed manual. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First car...85 Ford Thunderbird

Worst car...1995 BMW 525....when I thought looking the part was important. The repairs and repair expense alone sent me to the poor house. Will never touch a BMW again.

Favorite car...ultimately when he passes on my Dad's 68 Corvette. Can't wait to refurbish. 

First : 1962 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88

Worst : 1971 Cadillac

Favorite :  1966 Buick Riviera

Best of the best : Any Subaru, I have owned over the past 30 plus years.  Come to Colorado, and you will see that I am not alone.  A great snow vehicle.

gettyimages-452735772-f5350b5e5b5c9aab4b

7 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

First Car: 66 VW beetle. Had a lot of fun in that car, close to being my favorite.

Worst Car: Don't know what years (mid 70's) ford Fairmont. Wife's car when we got married.

Favorite Car: 60 Porsche 356C Super 90 Cabriolet 

Don't know if you saw this. My friend. However, seeing as how a Beetle was your first car. And close to being a favorite of yours.  I decided to post this link :

Volkswagen Beetle: Last Bug Rolling Off The Assembly Line In Mexico : NPR

First car: 1989 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 Convertible

Worst car: Honestly, I haven't owned a terrible car in terms of reliability. I drove a 1990 Pontiac 6000 my last two years of college that was half primer and half rust, but it was still rock solid mechanically.

Favorite car: For practicality, my current car: 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe. 192K miles, all of them mine, and aside from maintenance and normal wear items, I've replaced the alternator, fuel pump and one front wheel bearing. For fun: 1988 Pontiac Fiero Formula. V6, 5 speed. A street legal go kart.

My first car was a used 1973 metallic green Dodge Charger. I was 16.  I don't have a picture of the car, any photos are long gone, but this is exactly what it looked like (sans the tan stripe on the side in this pic, mine had a factory white thin stripe along the side from front to back). Beautiful car. I sold it in the late 80's. I wish I still had it.

dodge-charger-1973-3.jpg.434cdc75b05a5b1a569f933d262ec330.jpg

First car was a 1980 Mustang. Worst car was probably a 1978 Chrysler Cordoba with the Mustang a close second. My favorite car was a close call between my 1987 Dodge Daytona Pacifica or a 2008 Chrysler 300 that I kind of hated to get rid of even though it had racked up the miles.

First car:  1979 Chevy Monza

Worst car:  1979 Chevy Monza after it cleaned out a ditch and hit a tree while I was trying to sleep (insurance company would not total, car broke down 50% of the time I drove it afterward).

Favorite Car: 1984 Mustang

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

First car:  1979 Chevy Monza

Worst car:  1979 Chevy Monza after it cleaned out a ditch and hit a tree while I was trying to sleep (insurance company would not total, car broke down 50% of the time I drove it afterward).

Favorite Car: 1984 Mustang

LOL...I had a 77 Monza Spyder that got t-boned by a pick-up truck...

There should have been a safety recall...

First Car-1981 -a 1973(ish) - Chevy Laguna -  with a 454,  wide tires, air shocks, loud pipes, posi-track. Swivel seats and electric sunroof. The thing was a beast, my Dad admits he was crazy to get it for me. 

Worse Car - puke green Plymouth Duster I 'inherited' when I got married. She started driving my Firebird, I got the Duster with the straight six (slant) that freaking died and flooded every time I made a right hand turn. Slide it into neutral, rev it up high, coast around the turn, back into drive. If it died, forget it for about 30 minutes. 

Saddest - The day we bought our first mini-Van. I knew i had been domesticated. I will admit, for 2-3 kids, those vans were very handy. I was still happy the day I traded the last one away. 

7 hours ago, ColtsIUDomer said:

First Car-1981 -a 1973(ish) - Chevy Laguna -  with a 454,  wide tires, air shocks, loud pipes, posi-track. Swivel seats and electric sunroof. The thing was a beast, my Dad admits he was crazy to get it for me. 

Worse Car - puke green Plymouth Duster I 'inherited' when I got married. She started driving my Firebird, I got the Duster with the straight six (slant) that freaking died and flooded every time I made a right hand turn. Slide it into neutral, rev it up high, coast around the turn, back into drive. If it died, forget it for about 30 minutes. 

Saddest - The day we bought our first mini-Van. I knew i had been domesticated. I will admit, for 2-3 kids, those vans were very handy. I was still happy the day I traded the last one away. 

I hazard to say, that it was the day she started driving the Firebird, and relegated the Duster to you. Not the mini van. That just compounded the domestication.  LOL

First car- 1994 Toyota ext cab 4x4 

Worst - I guess the 2004 dodge stratus that quit on me at 292,000 miles.

Favorite - 1996 Toyota Tacoma. Sold it for a down payment on my 2007 Silverado.  

I literally drive cars and trucks into the ground but am also my own mechanic.

1994 Toyota was rear ended and totalled but my stepdad kept it to drive to the coal mine he worked. Paid off the 1996 Tacoma with the insurance money.

So far 

1996 Tacoma 288,000 miles sold for $2000

04 stratus died at 292,000

2007 Silverado is at 232,000

2004 solara 332,000 and going strong. 

That is all I have owned so far. 

10 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

First car- 1994 Toyota ext cab 4x4 

Worst - I guess the 2004 dodge stratus that quit on me at 292,000 miles.

Favorite - 1996 Toyota Tacoma. Sold it for a down payment on my 2007 Silverado.  

I literally drive cars and trucks into the ground but am also my own mechanic.

1994 Toyota was rear ended and totalled but my stepdad kept it to drive to the coal mine he worked. Paid off the 1996 Tacoma with the insurance money.

So far 

1996 Tacoma 288,000 miles sold for $2000

04 stratus died at 292,000

2007 Silverado is at 232,000

2004 solara 332,000 and going strong. 

That is all I have owned so far. 

YOU had a Dodge that nearly made it to nearly 300K ?  You should have been elated.  I really like the fact that you get the max, mileage wise out of your vehicles.  Good job on the Tacoma, by the way. 

10 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

YOU had a Dodge that nearly made it to nearly 300K ?  You should have been elated.  I really like the fact that you get the max, mileage wise out of your vehicles.  Good job on the Tacoma, by the way. 

Yes. When that dodge kept going and going was when I knew I was a lucky guy.  It was actually the car my wife had when we met. I would never buy one by choice. 

The Tacoma was bought sight unseen from craigslist.  Told the guy what needed done and said no problem I'll fix it and paid asking price. I couldn't believe it. 

8 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I also applaud Mrflynn, on many levels. But have to say I had two Chrysler products that went over 250,000 and were still running well when I sold them. I sometimes wonder, if the bad brand versus good brand doesn't have a lot to do with attitude. If you expect a car to be bad, you may not take care of it as well, versus liking the car and conversely taking care of it. One thing I was taught and believe in adamantly, is the quality of fluids you keep in your car will have a HUGE affect on how long it lives!

1 minute ago, Drroogh said:

I also applaud Mrflynn, on many levels. But have to say I had two Chrysler products that went over 250,000 and were still running well when I sold them. I sometimes wonder, if the bad brand versus good brand doesn't have a lot to do with attitude. If you expect a car to be bad, you may not take care of it as well, versus liking the car and conversely taking care of it. One thing I was taught and believe in adamantly, is the quality of fluids you keep in your car will have a HUGE affect on how long it lives!

Maintenance is key. On that I can agree with you.  However, in terms of Chrysler Engineering, I still have my doubts to this day.  Glad you had the luck you had with yours.

Fun topic. Kudo's to FLA for starting it.

7 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

One of the better cars I ever owned was a 2005 Dodge Neon. 169k miles, and it ran like a champ. Front wheel drive 5 speed manual...better than my wife's 2007 Jeep Commander in Chicago snow too...well, as long as it wasn't over the bumper...

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

Maintenance is key. On that I can agree with you.  However, in terms of Chrysler Engineering, I still have my doubts to this day.  Glad you had the luck you had with yours.

Fun topic. Kudo's to FLA for starting it.

Have to admit I currently have a dead Stratus in my drive that I use as redneck security. (makes people think there is always somebody home) Thing is the drive train is actually in very good shape, I believe the computer died. But since I had bought it in auction, for less than it would take to fix it, decided it was time to move on!

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

One of the better cars I ever owned was a 2005 Dodge Neon. 169k miles, and it ran like a champ. Front wheel drive 5 speed manual...better than my wife's 2007 Jeep Commander in Chicago snow too...well, as long as it wasn't over the bumper...

Worst thing about those neons was that dumb cab forward design. A definite negative safety feature.  But have known some that loved driving them. 

Archived