RANKED: 25 Best Men’s College Basketball Teams Of All-Time

As I was poking around the web I ran across this article and thought of the good folks on HSN.

If this has been posted before, my apologies and feel free to remove.

Hopefully the link works.

My #1 team of all time is ranked #2.

http://newarena.com/college-basketball/ranked-25-best-mens-college-basketball-teams-of-all-time/?amxt=tbdt_nar_nofl_rr2&utm_campaign=tb_jc_dt_mcb_alltime&utm_source=tb_ae&&utm_term=foxnews-foxnews&utm_content=Ranked%3A+The+25+Best+Men’s+College+Basketball+Teams+of+All-Time&utm_medium=tbdt-tbdt_nar_nofl_rr2

Almost forgot, all credit goes to "NewArena.com".

Thanks for the contribution. I really enjoyed it.  But ranking the '76 IU, team number 2 ?  I don't get it.

And that Texas Western team. Very high on the list.  Had two players from different high schools from Gary, Indiana.  Both of which I saw play in high school.  Not many college programs have movies made of them, like Glory Road.

1 hour ago, BoomBaby said:

Not sure of the methodology used, if any, for the above list.  For comparison, here is a computer ranking of the best teams of the last fifty years, ranked by how dominant they were in their year, which is probably the only objective way to do it:  http://www.inccstats.com/basketball/alltime/teams.html

No reflection on you BB.  And though I appreciate the contribution.  Those people need to get a new computer.  '76 team. That deep ?  No way !

Many people that followed IU in that era said that the '75 team was better than the '76 one.  At the very least, the '75 one deserved to be on the list under the title of '25 best basketball teams'.  Now, if the title was '25 best NCAA Basketball Champions', then leave the '75 team off.  But, as the story is titled, leaving '75 off is wrong.  

29 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Many people that followed IU in that era said that the '75 team was better than the '76 one.  At the very least, the '75 one deserved to be on the list under the title of '25 best basketball teams'.  Now, if the title was '25 best NCAA Basketball Champions', then leave the '75 team off.  But, as the story is titled, leaving '75 off is wrong.  

The '75 was better than the '76 team...JMHO.

35 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Even Coach Knight valued the '75 team over the '76 team.  So.... where is the '75 team on the list ?  Agree with you. Leaving the '75 team off the list is egregious. 

1 hour ago, hoosiermd said:

It was before my time, but my Dad always told me 75 was better than 76. He could never stand the fact that the 75 team didn't hang a banner. Not much bothered him. That did.

The '75 year team finished the regular season, 29-0.  And beat their opponents by an average of over 22 ppg.  Scott May going down.  And Knight admitted he brought him back too soon. Much like Coach Miller said this past season, in regards to De'Ron Davis.   Your dad has  a lot of cred saying the 75 team was better than 76.  As we saw last season... what an injury ( or more) can make to the outcome of a season.

I was at IU for both the 75 & 76 teams. I agree with all on the merits of both teams. I had "full" season tickets, I remember that it seamed like if you took your eye off the games for a second the other team was down 20 or 25 points. 

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Talent wise they probably were and how they were playing at the end of the season but as a team 76 was better.

The goal is the same...win the championship.  And it was accomplished in '81.  

23 minutes ago, rico said:

Regardless of the record, the mission was accomplished.

That was not the point you stated when you said that you thought the 81 team was better than the 76 team.  So if both teams own the championship then you do need to look at the record as part of discussion on who was better.  Most of the 76 teams was part of a two year run where they went 36-0 in the big ten as well.

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Nope...the only thing that kept that team from taking it all was Scott May's broken arm.

Basically the same team as 76, but with 2 additional good players...Lazkowski and Green.

And I still remember listening to the Mideast regional gut punch. Still hurts.

The 76 and the 81 teams are the ones we are talking about and I said I think the 76 team was better

Archived