Rothstein's Big Ten Forecast

4 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Strongly disagree that offense is secondary for good basketball teams... You have to have a great offense to compete for a championship.  

And focusing only on one side of the ball to the detriment of the other is what got the last coach fired.

Not sure where I said offense is secondary? Defense is the base, offense takes you to the top. You have to learn to walk before you run. 

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I’m starting to think we should take a page out of his book and start telling every single poster that responds to him how much of a jacka** he is... Since that seems to be allowed these days.

Just trying to let the new guy know who the trolls are on this board

49 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just trying to let the new guy know who the trolls are on this board

Scott, is your definition of a troll someone that doesn't share your opinion?  You are the one that seems to be bashing individual posters and calling them out.  EVERYBODY knows that you don't like the rivals site, yet you have to tell every poster that doesn't share your opinion to go back to the rivals board.

1 minute ago, BDB said:

Scott, is your definition of a troll someone that doesn't share your opinion?  You are the one that seems to be bashing individual posters and calling them out.  EVERYBODY knows that you don't like the rivals site, yet you have to tell every poster that doesn't share your opinion to go back to the rivals board.

I think guys who only come on here to bash IU non stop and not say anything good is a troll to me.  I really wonder if some of these guys are really IU fans or are here to get under IU fans skin.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

No troll I am a huge IU fan and I define trolls as guys coming here to just get under IU fans skin and are really not IU fans at all.

You are taking their comments too seriously.  The current state of the basketball program has a lot of question marks right now and the season can't get here fast enough.  Peoples opinions are like rectums, everyone has one and they don't all smell the same.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

No troll I am a huge IU fan and I define trolls as guys coming here to just get under IU fans skin and are really not IU fans at all.

Yet, you still respond to the ‘trolls’ showing them that you let them get under your skin. I know you mean well but as a result your replies create juvenile pages of bickering. 

I’m sure you heard the saying, ‘Don’t feed the trolls’? It means you are supposed to ignore them so the rest of the board is spared from them replying to your replies - thus creating more of the absurdity you are trying to prevent. 

Don’t let the Dong tempt you. 

On 7/18/2019 at 11:26 AM, IowaHoosierFan said:

I agree but during the same time frame he only used like 7 guys.  Many of the bench guys never saw more than maybe a couple minutes.  I am not saying he wasn't ham stringed with some injuries but that doesn't change the fact that there were 4 guys down the bench who could have seen more playing time.  

which ones?

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

Yet, you still respond to the ‘trolls’ showing them that you let them get under your skin. I know you mean well but as a result your replies create juvenile pages of bickering. 

I’m sure you heard the saying, ‘Don’t feed the trolls’? It means you are supposed to ignore them so the rest of the board is spared from them replying to your replies - thus creating more of the absurdity you are trying to prevent. 

Don’t let the Dong tempt you. 

It is just that I really enjoy this board and left that other site because of posters like them.  I just don't want this board to end up like that one because at one time that was actually a good site to go to.

42 minutes ago, coachv said:

which ones?

Morgan, Smith, Green, Phin, Romeo, McBob, Al, and occasionally and way to much Fitz.  I stand corrected, he used 8

I am not saying they weren't the best options we had to win on any given day.  But after 2 months at some point you have to try something, anything different to shake things up.  Its not likely to have happened but sometimes benching your starters can bring them back into focus.

Just my opinion.  I am usually wrong

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

It is just that I really enjoy this board and left that other site because of posters like them.  I just don't want this board to end up like that one because at one time that was actually a good site to go to.

Scott, you are a valued poster but I think what people are saying is that the issue is that you seem to take shots at certain posters.  You personalize it.  With some of your views, other posters could take that approach with you, but instead they largely discuss with you on the merits.

I'm obviously not a moderator here but, personally, I like diverse points of view.  DBM and Long Duk Dong don't take themselves that seriously and have been contributing to our group through various incarnations of the board for many years.  Our fan base is hardly monolithic. The way I look at it, every poster here represents the mindset of countless other fans not posting.  I think those views can be heard.  It's not like we are talking about anything that serious.

It's like when you start talking about how you like the way basketball used to be and don't like some things about the modern game.  There are posters who think you take it to an extreme and debate with you.  Personally, just like DBM and LDD, I like hearing what you have to say because you have a point of view, which, while not popular, does represent a certain segment of fans out there.  That segment can have a voice IMO.

I think a great thing about the board is people bring different perspectives.  We don't have to be on the same page, and that's ok. 

If we all agreed on everything, this board would essentially devolve into the Chris Farley character "Remember when we had Cheaney and Henderson? That was awesome."

17 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

😂 I had no one in mind when I added a sourpuss to be named later, I promise...just sounded like appropriate language to add to a trade proposal.  We don't always disagree and I doubt I'd ever wish you gone.  Heck, you're not even on my ignore list.  LDD hasn't even risen to that level.  I think I've got maybe four people on my ignore list and one of those managed to get themselves booted from this forum (a very rare event from my observation). 

Without differing opinions, this place becomes an echo chamber and opportunities to learn are lost.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I'd echo much of what Bob said.  Awhile back, I advised you to pick your battles.  Frankly, you'll mentally exhaust yourself if you go to war every time a poster you disagree with comments.  Your constant fights with them exhaust the rest of us.  I agree with you more than I disagree with you but for the most part, I let things slide I disagree with unless I very passionately disagree with them.  That's what I mean by picking your battles...select a few that you really really disagree with and make your point without making it personal.  Just a thought...

Archived