I can't believe it's been 50 years, since the...

.....launch of Apollo 11.  To land the first man on the moon.  I know many of our members were not even born at that time. However, for me. It was fascinating.

Apollo 11 Moon Launch 50th Anniversary | CBS News Special Coverage, live stream

And just as amazing to me.  Is that today's smart phones are 1K more powerful than the computer on the landing capsule.

"One small step for man..... "

Part of the best vacation my family went on when I was a kid. My dad drove my Mom, sister, and me from Martinsville, to first night in Gatlinburg, Tn, second night in St Augustine, FL, and early (4 am as I recall) on July 16, 1969, drove down to a bridge by the Kennedy Space Center to watch Apollo 11 take off.

And the Cubs were in 1st place...Those are some memories.

Was on vacation with the family at our over 100 year old family cabin. (most peaceful place on earth) No electricity, no TV and barely any radio! We still managed to get an update of a successful landing, but no where near the excitement that everyone else got listening live. Still regret that!

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Part of the best vacation my family went on when I was a kid. My dad drove my Mom, sister, and me from Martinsville, to first night in Gatlinburg, Tn, second night in St Augustine, FL, and early (4 am as I recall) on July 16, 1969, drove down to a bridge by the Kennedy Space Center to watch Apollo 11 take off.

And the Cubs were in 1st place...Those are some memories.

Fantastic.  This is what family memories are made of.  Thanks for sharing with us.

Oh yeah.  The '69 Cubs.  Who could ever forget them, as well. 

1969 Chicago Cubs season 

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

Forgot that Chappaquiddick was also, in 69! Needless to say 1969 was an interesting year!

Saw a newly released story today.  Saying that Kennedy had no idea that Mary Jo was even in the car. That another young lady was with him. And he helped her to escape.  And had he known Mary Jo was in the car as well, he would have tried to help her out as well.

Ted Kennedy's Chappadquiddick Car Crash: Letter Claims Answers 

Not to mention the killing of Robert F. Kennedy.  Who I once went to see speak at IU's Auditorium.  What struck me that day, and lives on in my memory, is Robert Kennedy had the most bright blue eyes of any person, I have ever seen in my life. 

Robert F. Kennedy’s April 24, 1968, IU speech now digitized for streaming access | University Archives

One other event from 1969.  milehiiu graduates from Indiana University !

Super Bowl Iii

Led Zepplins first album

Last public performance of The Beatles

First flight of the Boeing 747

First confirmed death from AIDS in North America

Charles Manson's murder spree

The "Ya Gotta Believe" New York Mets

First episode of Sesame Street

Dave Thomas opens first Wendy's location

Oh, but the one event mentioned that wasn't in '69 was RFK. That was' 68.

45 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Ya gotta believe

Amazin' is right.

Al Weis had 7, count them 7 home runs in a 10 year major league career and he hits one in a crucial situation against the Orioles...

I've said it before...The Cubs, the Braves, and the Orioles all had much better starting 8s than the Mets.

But that pitching...

Archived