Was IU's sweep of MSU a portend of something special?

Can't say I have ever seen anything or read anything, that made sense of how IU in the midst of a calamitous stretch managed to beat MSU twice last season? The old saying goes 'Beat me once shame on you, beat me twice, shame on me!" What was it about those two games that made IU better than a Final 4 contender? Is it something that might show up on a more regular basis? I'm at a loss!!

13 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Can't say I have ever seen anything or read anything, that made sense of how IU in the midst of a calamitous stretch managed to beat MSU twice last season? The old saying goes 'Beat me once shame on you, beat me twice, shame on me!" What was it about those two games that made IU better than a Final 4 contender? Is it something that might show up on a more regular basis? I'm at a loss!!

The one at MSU pretty much without Juwan Morgan playing (13 minutes)...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

The one at MSU pretty much without Juwan Morgan playing (13 minutes)...

Have to admit after watching that game a second time I still had no idea how it happened, but I sure left with the feeling that IU was with out a doubt the better team?

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I think they were just one of those teams that did not match well with us. Their strengths were in areas that we were not as weak in. We hit some shots.  It was a glimpse of what coulda woulda shoulda been for our team

Agree. I think Rob Phinisee matches up very well with Cassius Winston. And they aren't real big size wise.

Maryland, on the other hand, only beat us at their place because they had two big guys who we had no answer for. Gave up 15 offensive rebounds, and lost by 3...😟

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I think they were just one of those teams that did not match well with us. Their strengths were in areas that we were not as weak in. We hit some shots.  It was a glimpse of what coulda woulda shoulda been for our team

The strange mind that I have (which is most definitely not a basketball coaches mind) I have wondered if the matchup difference that made such a huge difference was coaching philosophy difference? Blast me for that thought!!:coffee:

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Agree. I think Rob Phinisee matches up very well with Cassius Winston. And they aren't real big size wise.

Maryland, on the other hand, only beat us at their place because they had two big guys who we had no answer for. Gave up 15 offensive rebounds, and lost by 3...😟

Can't disagree that Rob slowed Winston down and changed their game, but why couldn't other high level guards have the same effect on MSU?

Just now, Drroogh said:

Can't disagree that Rob slowed Winston down and changed their game, but why couldn't other high level guards have the same effect on MSU?

Especially in the first game it might have something to do with MSU not taking the game as seriously as they could.  With us on a long losing streak they probably felt all they had to do was show up since they were at home.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Especially in the first game it might have something to do with MSU not taking the game as seriously as they could.  With us on a long losing streak they probably felt all they had to do was show up since they were at home.

So if it was a case of taking IU lightly, why did the obviously superior team (based on results) not have the eye of the tiger and demolish IU in the second game?

I agree so far that the Rob vs. All American Winston matchup was key. (especially that last possession where Rob stayed in his face and made him throw up a difficult fade away!) Which takes me back to the "portend of something special" does a fully healthy Rob portend to something special?? Or do the opposing teams just adjust, if so how?

39 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

So if it was a case of taking IU lightly, why did the obviously superior team (based on results) not have the eye of the tiger and demolish IU in the second game?

2 things Romeo played like he is capable and made other guys better. I am one of the few that still thinks we were a top 2 or 3 in the conference.  No game outside of the Duke game would I consider us to have no chance.  Forever I will consider that team to be the biggest underachiever I have seen for an IU team. I dont use the injury excuse either

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

16 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

2 things Romeo played like he is capable and made other guys better. I am one of the few that still thinks we were a top 2 or 3 in the conference.  No game outside of the Duke game would I consider us to have no chance.  Forever I will consider that team to be the biggest underachiever I have seen for an IU team. I dont use the injury excuse either

Not sure what I want to say to these? Can't disagree! However, I'm still conflicted as to what the MSU sweep portends to  this year? One thing that has resonated so far a healthy Rob is key but is that enough?  

Sorry, but I learned in lean manufacturing to keep asking why until you pi.. somebody off and then you are at the root cause.😀 Never worked for me as I was usually the one who was pissed off, since I started at the 4th why!!!

I don't know if my answer will satisfy the question,  but I believe we were the better team. First what ever reason 11 games out of 12 that team allowed other things to take away what they were capable of.  MSU did not take advantage of our poor outside shooting.  They allowed Romeo to get to the lane draw and kick to open shooters. We controlled the boards. Our guards rebounded well. The team that wins the rebounding battle wins more than 70 percent of games. IMO the better team won both games.  

My question is not how we won those 2 but how did we manage to lose those 11

28 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I don't know if my answer will satisfy the question,  but I believe we were the better team. First what ever reason 11 games out of 12 that team allowed other things to take away what they were capable of.  MSU did not take advantage of our poor outside shooting.  They allowed Romeo to get to the lane draw and kick to open shooters. We controlled the boards. Our guards rebounded well. The team that wins the rebounding battle wins more than 70 percent of games. IMO the better team won both games.  

My question is not how we won those 2 but how did we manage to lose those 11

That is the million dollar question. 

Didn't Smith hit like 6 3's in one of those games, matching what he had hit all year or something?

I think we just played the 2 best games of the year on those occasions.  Which means we should have been able to play like that all year long.  Injury or not, we should have been a better team than we were.  Still unsure if it was player chemistry or coaching or what, but we underachieved

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

One of those wins was the ultimate fluke game with Justin Smith nailing threes all day. They had a good game plan - let bad shooters take shots. Sometimes the bad shooter hits everything. We've been on the wrong end of that before.

Yep. Remember whining Izzo interview at half commenting on him. Every fan has a way of viewing things. Sweeping Sparty makes me more ticked inside because it showed our capability. 

The game in East Lansing, I texted my friend and said this is what we have to look forward to.  I think the biggest mistake was not giving our young players more time last year.  That was the game that made me upset when Forester decided to transfer.  All of our freshmen contributed that game, but then never really saw the floor after.  I was hoping he would use that game as a blueprint for the rest of the season and live or die with our young guys. At least this would make them better for the future.

Archived