Franck Kepnang - 2021

5fouls

I will not be surprised if our next assistant is tuned into that area and that AAU program.  Bruiser may already have links there but maybe we dig deeper.  Archie and Ostrom seem locked into Indiana. This might be the “out” of the inside out strategy. 

I would be very interested in someone who can hit Illinois hard too.   Isaiah, Daryl Thomas, Quinn Buckner.  Close to home.  Not much to play for in-state.  We have had a good tradition going in there.  Lou Henson once complained publicly that we were raping their state of talent.  That was one of the more bizarre admissions by an opposing coach.  

10 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I will not be surprised if our next assistant is tuned into that area and that AAU program.  Bruiser may already have links there but maybe we dig deeper.  Archie and Ostrom seem locked into Indiana. This might be the “out” of the inside out strategy. 

I would be very interested in someone who can hit Illinois hard too.   Isaiah, Daryl Thomas, Quinn Buckner.  Close to home.  Not much to play for in-state.  We have had a good tradition going in there.  Lou Henson once complained publicly that we were raping their state of talent.  That was one of the more bizarre admissions by an opposing coach.  

Eric Anderson and Justin Smith too. I agree, IL should provide a kid every few years. 

3 hours ago, Reacher said:

Eric Anderson and Justin Smith too. I agree, IL should provide a kid every few years. 

People forget Michael Hermon too. He was one of the best that came out of Chicago during that time. He admitted years later if he had done things like Knight wanted he would be in NBA. Did a quick search to see where he was at and only thing I found was Director of Operations at Chicago St. Maybe CoachSS can chime in where he's at but wouldn't that be funny to have him come full circle. He certainly knows Chicago well.

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

People forget Michael Hermon too. He was one of the best that came out of Chicago during that time. He admitted years later if he had done things like Knight wanted he would be in NBA. Did a quick search to see where he was at and only thing I found was Director of Operations at Chicago St. Maybe CoachSS can chime in where he's at but wouldn't that be funny to have him come full circle. He certainly knows Chicago well.

If I’m not mistaken,didn’t he get shot after leaving Indiana 

Thinking about Hermon, it reminds me of the level of missed opportunities we had in Knight’s final seasons.  Knight was just coming off those loaded early 90s teams.  Those players were high character guys and the embodiment of Indiana basketball.  Transitioning from that crew to the next did not work out well.  But there was potential that whiffed. 

Hermon could defend, handle, score. He was big, strong fast.  Sherron Wilkerson has some those same traits and that pairing could have been devastating if they developed. Both were highly talented. Rob Hodgson was a coach's son and an absolute stud who left because he didn’t want to redshirt.  Then you had the high profile transfers of Jason Collier and Luke Recker.  

The ironic thing is by the time Knight separated from the school, the next roster he recruited had a very good crew of players in terms of having the right Indiana makeup.  Knight undoubtedly would have thrived with, as seen by their 2002 run.  A guy like Moye or Fife was hand picked by Knight to lead with the character and toughness he wanted.

Regarding Hermon, he missed class, he was late for practice   It’s not rocket science.  These are actually the easy things in life.  Just.do.them.  Having talent —which he had in spades— is the harder part of the equation. You can see Knight was trying to get through to him with the 6 am running.  A player like Hermon doesn’t get it.  There’s nothing in it for a coach to do that. He could look the other way.  He’s doing it to mentor you, help you function later in the real world, get you to grow up.  Hermon obviously squandered it all. 

33 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Thinking about Hermon, it reminds me of the level of missed opportunities we had in Knight’s final seasons.  Knight was just coming off those loaded early 90s teams.  Those players were high character guys and the embodiment of Indiana basketball.  Transitioning from that crew to the next did not work out well.  But there was potential that whiffed. 

Hermon could defend, handle, score. He was big, strong fast.  Sherron Wilkerson has some those same traits and that pairing could have been devastating if they developed. Both were highly talented. Rob Hodgson was a coach's son and an absolute stud who left because he didn’t want to redshirt.  Then you had the high profile transfers of Jason Collier and Luke Recker.  

The ironic thing is by the time Knight separated from the school, the next roster he recruited had a very good crew of players in terms of having the right Indiana makeup.  Knight undoubtedly would have thrived with, as seen by their 2002 run.  A guy like Moye or Fife was hand picked by Knight to lead with the character and toughness he wanted.

Regarding Hermon, he missed class, he was late for practice   It’s not rocket science.  These are actually the easy things in life.  Just.do.them.  Having talent —which he had in spades— is the harder part of the equation. You can see Knight was trying to get through to him with the 6 am running.  A player like Hermon doesn’t get it.  There’s nothing in it for a coach to do that. He could look the other way.  He’s doing it to mentor you, help you function later in the real world, get you to grow up.  Hermon obviously squandered it all. 

I witnessed 2 assistant coaches drag a very intoxicated Hermon out of Damon's sports bar after the manager called 1 of the coaches. Man the guy sure could play just a lot of other things got in the way

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived