Any Ancient History Buffs?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, slojoe said:

Not very interested in lost civilizations part of ancient history like you are Badgervol, but much more in "recorded" ancient history.

That is the thing though...lost civilizations have been "recorded" and talked about through time.

2 hours ago, rico said:

That is the thing though...lost civilizations have been "recorded" and talked about through time.

I did put recorded in quotes because of the different interpretations of what recorded means.  But as far as we know these civilizations did not make their own written recordings of events, what they thought and felt, etc.

2 hours ago, slojoe said:

I did put recorded in quotes because of the different interpretations of what recorded means.  But as far as we know these civilizations did not make their own written recordings of events, what they thought and felt, etc.

I view the Bible as a history book.  

On 7/19/2019 at 5:14 PM, milehiiu said:

That's funny !

I took an Ancient History class at IU. But switched to U.S. History which I found more interesting for me. 

I'm probably more of this school.  Reading Brad Meltzer's "The First Conspiracy" (eBook) about New York's Governor Tryon's efforts to turn revolutionary soldiers and even assassinate George Washington.  Also "reading" Major Dick Winters' "Beyond Band of Brothers" on audio as I travel about his experiences in WWII.  Both have been fascinating reads and are available on the Indiana state library networks free Overdrive platform.

I'm not disinterested in ancient world history...just more interested in "The Story of Us" (got that one on DVD).

22 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm probably more of this school.  Reading Brad Meltzer's "The First Conspiracy" (eBook) about New York's Governor Tryon's efforts to turn revolutionary soldiers and even assassinate George Washington.  Also "reading" Major Dick Winters' "Beyond Band of Brothers" on audio as I travel about his experiences in WWII.  Both have been fascinating reads and are available on the Indiana state library networks free Overdrive platform.

I'm not disinterested in ancient world history...just more interested in "The Story of Us" (got that one on DVD).

So would "The Second Conspiracy" be about Aaron Burr?

5 minutes ago, rico said:

So would "The Second Conspiracy" be about Aaron Burr?

I expect there were at least a few in between the first and the Burr-Hamilton feud, but that is an interesting one.  Also interesting how Jefferson and Adams started as founding fathers, morphed into a nasty and lengthy political and personal feud, followed by a late life reconciliation and correspondence and culminated by both dying the same day...the 50th anniversary of the signing of the declaration of independence.  Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

I've primarily been interested in US history specifically the revolutionary period, civil war, and the 60's.  Also spend time on the structure of our government and how it was intended to function compared to what we have today.  

Did a report on the crusades in college and that is a subject I intend to learn more about. 

3 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I've primarily been interested in US history specifically the revolutionary period, civil war, and the 60's.  Also spend time on the structure of our government and how it was intended to function compared to what we have today.  

Did a report on the crusades in college and that is a subject I intend to learn more about. 

The Crusades intrigue me also...big Robin Hood fan!!!!

2 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I haven't read much in awhile but want to start again. The history of the Knights Templar is something I've been wanting to dig into. 

Plenty of shows discussing that...IIRC they supposedly were guarding the Holy Grail.

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I haven't read much in awhile but want to start again. The history of the Knights Templar is something I've been wanting to dig into. 

Oh there's lifetimes of stuff to dig through on that subject. Ranging all the way from true scholarly research to tin-foil-hat level crackpot conspiracy theories.

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

As well as the Ark of the Covenant I believe 

The general myth is that the Templars guarded a treasure that dated back to biblical times, potentially all the way back to Solomon. The Ark, artifacts from the last Supper, history of the bloodline of Jesus and Mary Magdelene, assloads of gold and jewels from ancient Egypt, Colonel Sanders' 11 herbs and spices.... You name it.

5 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

The general myth is that the Templars guarded a treasure that dated back to biblical times, potentially all the way back to Solomon. The Ark, artifacts from the last Supper, history of the bloodline of Jesus and Mary Magdelene, assloads of gold and jewels from ancient Egypt, Colonel Sanders' 11 herbs and spices.... You name it.

All I know is that the Templars didn't guard King Tut's tomb very well....all I got.

14 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

I found the secret recipe- https://www.chicagotribune.com/travel/ct-kfc-recipe-revealed-20160818-story.html

Still working on the assloads of gold...

Archived