Jordan Geronimo (2020) Commits to Indiana

Don't know about Justin's recruiting comments regarding offers, but love the gratitude this kid exudes. It could be that he has recently blown up, and hasn't gotten used to it, but attitude is such a big factor.  Give me a grateful fast riser versus someone that was ranked high early based on athleticism, and hasn't progressed, any day. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Don't know about Justin's recruiting comments regarding offers, but love the gratitude this kid exudes. It could be that he has recently blown up, and hasn't gotten used to it, but attitude is such a big factor.  Give me a grateful fast riser versus someone that was ranked high early based on athleticism, and hasn't progressed, any day. 

Agreed.  I think it's interesting how he alludes to beginning to believe that maybe the NBA could be in his future, rather than indicating that that goal is his highest priority and that choosing a college isn't just about finding the coach that can get him there.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2019 at 11:47 AM, FW_Hoosier said:

Maybe it’s just me, but I’m kind of getting Crean flashbacks with our approach to this 2020 class.

I just don't see how our 2020 recruiting has any similarities to Crean.  Looking at our offer list, is there one recruit that we wouldn't be excited about getting if they were to commit.  That in itself seems opposite of some of Crean's recruiting strategies.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, rebelcc said:

I just don't see how our 2020 recruiting has any similarities to Crean.  Looking at our offer list, is there one recruit that we wouldn't be excited about getting if they were to commit.  That in itself seems opposite of some of Crean's recruiting strategies.

rebel.  Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation !

1 hour ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Agreed.  I think it's interesting how he alludes to beginning to believe that maybe the NBA could be in his future, rather than indicating that that goal is his highest priority and that choosing a college isn't just about finding the coach that can get him there.

Good point on NBA focus.  Most of these kids are being sold a bag of NBA lies. Refreshing to hear this kids perspective. 

Don't want to put every under the radar athlete into the Oladipo category, but his comments seem like those of a grinder.  Give me a kid that wants to outwork everybody all day.

With the type of player Archie was, I would think he would recruit and attract those kind of grinders with the pitbull mentality. Hopefully we get a couple of these recruits that seem to fit that mold.

13 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

It’s disingenuous to not give Crean credit for finding the likes of Oladipo, Sheehey, and Anunoby.   None of them were ranked highly, but they were athletic and rising talents with upside that Crean understood.  And they developed under his watch.  

Maybe Geronimo can give Archie a feather in his cap in recruiting somebody under the radar who can emerge.  

Sure he deserves credit, but it’s up in the air IMO whether he just got lucky. Look at each of his classes and the large number of misses he had, some that included entire classes almost. 

I appreciate his willingness to take on a job that nobody would want at the time, but I definitely don’t think he did a quality job recruiting, and was really poor on the defensive side of the ball.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, rebelcc said:

I think we are likely going to have to take guys ranked outside the top 100 as there just does not seem to be much traction for any top 75 ranked  players coming to IU. I think last year really hurt us bad in recruiting. 

40 minutes ago, Bedford1432 said:

I think we are likely going to have to take guys ranked outside the top 100 as there just does not seem to be much traction for any top 75 ranked  players coming to IU. I think last year really hurt us bad in recruiting. 

Which at the end of the day isn't the worst thing in the world, especially if you don't take recruiting rankings as gospel. There's always going to be 20-30 kids each class who are above the rest, but they likely aren't going to develop into 3-4 year upperclassmen. I guess I just don't see the difference in a player ranked 80th vs a player ranked 110th? I think once you get passed those top 20-25 kids, you're really just recruiting players who fit your system. A player ranked 110th may be a great shooter and the missing piece to your team. A player ranked 80th may be a great athlete who can get up and down the court and is a good fit for a team who runs a press defense for 40 minutes. The #100 to me is all arbitrary. I haven't seen any evidence that a player ranked 99 is better than a player ranked 101. They're all subjective.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Which at the end of the day isn't the worst thing in the world, especially if you don't take recruiting rankings as gospel. There's always going to be 20-30 kids each class who are above the rest, but they likely aren't going to develop into 3-4 year upperclassmen. I guess I just don't see the difference in a player ranked 80th vs a player ranked 110th? I think once you get passed those top 20-25 kids, you're really just recruiting players who fit your system. A player ranked 110th may be a great shooter and the missing piece to your team. A player ranked 80th may be a great athlete who can get up and down the court and is a good fit for a team who runs a press defense for 40 minutes. The #100 to me is all arbitrary. I haven't seen any evidence that a player ranked 99 is better than a player ranked 101. They're all subjective.

This post made me curious... Of the 14 players who averaged more than 10 mpg on our last two conference championship teams, only 6 were consensus top 100 recruits (Watford, Zeller, Ferrell, Williams, Johnson, Bryant).  This isn’t including Blackmon, who didn’t play for most of the 2015-2016 season — even including him, you get 7 out of 15.  Interesting.

2 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

This post made me curious... Of the 14 players who averaged more than 10 mpg on our last two conference championship teams, only 6 were consensus top 100 recruits (Watford, Zeller, Ferrell, Williams, Johnson, Bryant).  This isn’t including Blackmon, who didn’t play for most of the 2015-2016 season — even including him, you get 7 out of 15.  Interesting.

Yeah this goes back to recruiting, how there are always underranked kids, and the simple point, dovetailing with CAM’s approach, that to have a veteran team you can’t be built heavily on top 100 kids, generally 

I think the old saying of getting old and staying old holds true. A 100 ranked kid as a freshman is likely only to have spot minutes and occasionally make an impact but you put that same kid in year 3 and 4 and they can hold their own against any young top 50 freshman  because that experience makes up for any lack of athleticism or elite skill set that top young kid has. Once these kids have had a chance to learn and improve they have every opportunity to either take another leap in progress or fade to obscurity. I will say this...a lot of these top 50 kids with all the athleticism etc don’t know how to play without the ball and don’t work as hard as they need to living off their superior athleticism. So you see kids close the gap on them if they don’t also work to improve all their game.

Edited by dgambill

9 hours ago, Bedford1432 said:

Yeah, I don't know how we'll construct a team with players like Sheehey, Morgan, Oladipo, Phinisee and Anunoby...

Edited by FKIM01

15 hours ago, Bedford1432 said:

You mean we would have to take someone like Galloway instead of someone like Ethan Morton.  Oh no, what will we do?

1 hour ago, rebelcc said:

You mean we would have to take someone like Galloway instead of someone like Ethan Morton.  Oh no, what will we do?

If you're into rankings (I'm not), Ethan Morton will likely drop the furthest out of any recruit due to his play on the summer AAU circuit. Once a top 40 recruit on the 247 composite, he's already dropped almost 40 spots and in 247's home rankings dropped almost 70 spots outside the top 100. He averaged 4 ppg on 27% shooting and shot an abysmal 6% from the 3 point line (2-31). I suspect once these major sites update their rankings through the end of the summer he'll be well outside the top 100. I remember when people thought the world was ending when he committed to Purdue because we were going to get stuck with guys like Matt Cross, Galloway, and/or Leal. Give me those 3 over Morton any day of the week.

Edited by IndyResident16
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

If the byproduct of Morton going to Purdue is that IU gets Trey Galloway, then for my money that was a win for Indiana.

I agree. Not bashing Morton in any way I was 1 that was super high on the kid. I really like what I see in Galloway. I feel he will be the first 2020 to pull the trigger, which will then put some other things in motion quickly I believe

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I agree. Not bashing Morton in any way I was 1 that was super high on the kid. I really like what I see in Galloway. I feel he will be the first 2020 to pull the trigger, which will then put some other things in motion quickly I believe

I hope so. With Leal committing not too long after. 

3 hours ago, IndyResident16 said:

If you're into rankings (I'm not), Ethan Morton will likely drop the furthest out of any recruit due to his play on the summer AAU circuit. Once a top 40 recruit on the 247 composite, he's already dropped almost 40 spots and in 247's home rankings dropped almost 70 spots outside the top 100. He averaged 4 ppg on 27% shooting and shot an abysmal 6% from the 3 point line (2-31). I suspect once these major sites update their rankings through the end of the summer he'll be well outside the top 100. I remember when people thought the world was ending when he committed to Purdue because we were going to get stuck with guys like Matt Cross, Galloway, and/or Leal. Give me those 3 over Morton any day of the week.

That's great intel.  Really pleased to have you join us here.

...and I'll admit liking Morton a lot when he was a recruit and while I don't wish the kid ill personally, I laugh at Turdue's fortunes here.

11 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

...and I'll admit liking Morton a lot when he was a recruit and while I don't wish the kid ill personally, I laugh at Turdue's fortunes here.

I wouldn’t laugh too hard. Painter and staff seem to develop shooters pretty well. He still has the same size, ballhandling and vision/passing that we were high on. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

If we're being fair, he is a good player (AAU stats aside) that will actually fit Purdue's system quite well. Purdue's system requires all 3 guards/wings to be able to handle and pass the ball. Morton fits that bill extremely well. He can handle the rock and distribute the basketball as well as anyone and Purdue will be looking to replace Eastern in a short while. Archie really only needs one true PG in our current system. We have Phinisee for 3 more years and are in great position with Lander in the class behind. Morton just doesn't work as an off-ball guard in Archie's system. Not a good shooter nor have great driving/slashing ability. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I wouldn’t laugh too hard. Painter and staff seem to develop shooters pretty well. He still has the same size, ballhandling and vision/passing that we were high on. 

Eh maybe so, but I'm absolutely fine with this one going to Turdue.  Still waiting to see Eastern develop a shot and point guard skills.