Jordan Geronimo (2020) Commits to Indiana

1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:
In an enjoyable 1-on-1 with Jordan Geronimo we found out:
- why IU was his first visit
- what Romeo Langford said to him
- what he knows about Noah Vonleh
- what title he would give himself as a bball player
and much more. (always free)

Great work, TDH. JG was a fantastic get.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Some 'inside' info from an old friend who is very plugged into the AAU scene and East Coast high school bball. 

Texted me after Geronimo committed -- 

"You're really going to like this kid."

"Better than Vic at the same age. Everything is smooth, but he plays hard. He's a real nice pickup for IU."

My friend watched Vic at the same age at DeMatha and was my real inside source on Vic when we were recruiting him. He was extremely high on Vic and his upside then. And he's saying Geronimo is better at the same age.... 

Thanks for the info. Upside or room for improvement is one thing, but he needs that desire to max out his upside. If he even has has half of the desire that Vic had to improve, he'll have a bright future. 

Vic's progression was almost non-human. I remember thinking Sheehey was going to be the best of the two after their freshman year. That sophomore to junior year leap is something I'm not sure we'll ever see again. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Thanks for the compliment. Just hoping that Jordan does not follow Romeo's lead, and leaves early.

Yes.  It was a good thing that Romeo did.

Let's just hypothetically for this upcoming season we finish in the 8-10 range of the B1G, win 1 in the B1G tournament, and miss the NCAA tournament again. Who would have had the better IU career? Deron Davis or Victor Oladipo? I would take what Vic did every day of the week without hesitation.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Besides the wikipedia excerpt below on Vic, helped us win our first outright Conference Championship in 20 years.

He was named the Sporting News Men's College Basketball Player of the Year, the Co-NABC Defensive Player of the Year, and a first-team All-American by the USBWA and Sporting News. That year he was also named the winner of the Adolph Rupp Trophy, given annually to the top player in men's NCAA Division I basketball. Oladipo was drafted with the second overall pick in the 2013 NBA draft 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, IUaic said:

Let's just hypothetically for this upcoming season we finish in the 8-10 range of the B1G, win 1 in the B1G tournament, and miss the NCAA tournament again. Who would have had the better IU career? Deron Davis or Victor Oladipo? I would take what Vic did every day of the week without hesitation.

Is this a serious question?

• Like 1

I think he was taking an extreme example to make his point.  That's how I took it, anyway.

Regarding Romeo, I heard a guy say "Let's face it, he had a very forgettable career."  I was apoplectic.  I have said it several times, but this is a kid who was very visible and high profile. He selected IU and deserves our respect especially after seeing another Indiana kid snub IU.

But now you're seeing his pied piper effect as he's showing school loyalty and pride.  Making a noticeable impact on Geronimo is just one part of the puzzle.  He's proving to all the naysayers that he's an IU guy all the way.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

Thanks for the info. Upside or room for improvement is one thing, but he needs that desire to max out his upside. If he even has has half of the desire that Vic had to improve, he'll have a bright future. 

Vic's progression was almost non-human. I remember thinking Sheehey was going to be the best of the two after their freshman year. That sophomore to junior year leap is something I'm not sure we'll ever see again. 

Vic's work ethic and improvement (to which staff deserves some credit, including Crean) were phenomenal for sure. If you read interviews with Geronimo's coach and with him, they talk about his work ethic and continuing efforts to improve. By all signs, he has the passion and ethic to continue to grow his game, which is clearly reflected in his meteoric rise into the rankings following his July showings. Time will tell, but as of right now, lots of room for optimism.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUaic said:

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Besides the wikipedia excerpt below on Vic, helped us win our first outright Conference Championship in 20 years.

He was named the Sporting News Men's College Basketball Player of the Year, the Co-NABC Defensive Player of the Year, and a first-team All-American by the USBWA and Sporting News. That year he was also named the winner of the Adolph Rupp Trophy, given annually to the top player in men's NCAA Division I basketball. Oladipo was drafted with the second overall pick in the 2013 NBA draft 

Would you rather "sleep" with Gal Gadot or get kicked in the twig n giggle berries  by Carli Lloyd????  Both women would be paying attention to the same area, but one of these things is not like the other.....

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

As regards Geronimo, I don't see the Troy Williams comp at all.  Williams was a liability on defense.

Like everyone else, I was really heartened by his comments about defense.  And, unlike a lot of kids who get so much attention these days, he seems very self-aware.  The scouting report he gave himself was more realistic than the normal 17 year old ("I feel like I am like Kevin Durant" or whatever).

Playing defense in basketball is going to keep you in games more often than not, even if stuff is going against you, whether it be the normal erratic officiating, a bad shooting night, etc.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I think he was taking an extreme example to make his point.  That's how I took it, anyway.

Regarding Romeo, I heard a guy say "Let's face it, he had a very forgettable career."  I was apoplectic.  I have said it several times, but this is a kid who was very visible and high profile. He selected IU and deserves our respect especially after seeing another Indiana kid snub IU.

But now you're seeing his pied piper effect as he's showing school loyalty and pride.  Making a noticeable impact on Geronimo is just one part of the puzzle.  He's proving to all the naysayers that he's an IU guy all the way.

He's right up there with Bracey Wright and Noah Vonleh to me.  Just my opinion. Everyone's entitled to their own.  For me, I hope Archie never recruits a OAD again.

• Confused 1

Unlike Bracey Wright and Noah Vonleh, Romeo has embraced IU and obviously is spending time in Bloomington.  And he's visibly helping the program by helping with recruiting.  And he's an Indiana legend who took all that in.  

As a player, if you look at his stats, he put up some good numbers while having tons of problems around him.  This was with an injured wrist and without forcing up shots like Bracey.  And he played hurt unlike Vonleh.  If anything, I wished we empowered him more.

I see a lot of distinctions between Romeo on one hand and Vonleh and Wright (two of my least favorite IU players).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Unlike Bracey Wright and Noah Vonleh, Romeo has embraced IU and obviously is spending time in Bloomington.  And he's visibly helping the program by helping with recruiting.  And he's an Indiana legend who took all that in.  

As a player, if you look at his stats, he put up some good numbers while having tons of problems around him.  This was with an injured wrist and without forcing up shots like Bracey.  And he played hurt unlike Vonleh.  If anything, I wished we empowered him more.

I see a lot of distinctions between Romeo on one hand and Vonleh and Wright (two of my least favorite IU players).

Agreed, Romeo could have shut it down in November, still been a high draft pick, and never appeared at AH again. 

He did the opposite. I don’t think IU fans could ask for more.

Edited by 13th&Jackson
  • Like 4

36 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Agreed, Romeo could have shut it down in November, still been a high draft pick, and never appeared at AH again. 

He did the opposite. I don’t think IU fans could ask for more.

Arguably, he could have possible been drafted higher too. Look at Darius Garland. That was a risk and sacrifice he made in our favor. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

A) Kid gets it.
B) Thank you Romeo.

Great interview. Being from New Albany and with knowledge of how much a fine young man Romeo is, it doesn't surprise me of his love for IU and the staff. I get soooo tired of all of the negative impressions by many on here about his season and so-called lack of effort put forth. This kid has spent alot of time since the draft back at IU when he had no reason to after the bad mouthing. It sounds as though his interactions with Geronimo helped secure this commitment. Thanks kid!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Sorry I just can't embrace a OAD whose decision to attend IU was purely a "business decision".  

8 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Sorry I just can't embrace a OAD whose decision to attend IU was purely a "business decision".  

Attending a University is completely about business. Although sometimes sidetracked by the opposite sex and beer pong. Student athlete or not, it is all about business. Especially on the University side. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, BEKA said:

I guess if you're predisposed to throwing out straw man fallacies, this is a reasonable position. 

I would rather us not get anymore OAD players as well.  I would take the low 5 star or high 4 star players who will stay a few years like have at UNC.  Until this year UNC had not had many OAD players and have won a lot with those type of players.  I want to build our roster the way UVA and Villanova as well because it is easier to stay on top.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would rather us not get anymore OAD players as well.  I would take the low 5 star or high 4 star players who will stay a few years like have at UNC.  Until this year UNC had not had many OAD players and have won a lot with those type of players.  I want to build our roster the way UVA and Villanova as well because it is easier to stay on top.

What might UNC’s turn towards one-and-done players mean for NCAA Tournament results (story)

5 hours ago, IUFLA said:

"I can bring to the table when it comes to Indiana (from day one) off the bench.”

Don't know about anybody else, by that screams "whatever it takes to win" to me...

You beat me to it, after reading that quote, the "off the bench" immediately jumped out at me.  This is an athletic and coachable kid.  He is a bit raw but he sounds like a coach's dream.

The sky is the limit for a talented and internally driven kid like that.  When he first committed I thought, "who the wha...cool name though."  The more info we get on him though, you can see why the staff jumped all over him.