Jordan Geronimo (2020) Commits to Indiana

The kid is really good, has a monster work ethic, is uber competitive while being a good teammate, has both the athleticism and b-ball IQ to continue to elevate his game, and plays with a winning mentality. 

This from a plugged in friend who watched both Geronimo and Vic, when Vic was at DeMatha, and who says Geronimo is better at this age. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

I spoke to his coach today and got an update on how his senior season is going for those interested.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-checking-in-on-2020-signee-jordan-geronimo/

Have to like this:

“He doesn’t get a ton of credit for how smart of a basketball player he is,” Gordon said.  “That’s going to pay dividends next year to make the transition smoother.  He watches more film than anybody on the team.  This kid wants to be great and he puts in the work on and off the court.

“From a basketball IQ perspective and just from a work ethic and coachability perspective, I think that’s going to endear him to the coaches right away because he’s got a motor, he’s got the hunger, he’s got the desire to be great.”

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, PhinithreeMagic said:

All 3 of the guys coming in seem to have very strong desire to improve, compete, and win. That mentality alone will help change the culture of the program even if they don't up being All-B10 players.

It is a long wait for that to translate and make an impact at the high major level, but I definitely agree with that.  Archie is clearly looking for competitors.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

It is a long wait for that to translate and make an impact at the high major level, but I definitely agree with that.  Archie is clearly looking for competitors.

unfortunately it better translate immediately into an upward trajectory.  If it take every class 3/4 years to reach their potential with CAM he won't make it out of his 5th year.  Expecting 3 freshman who are not top 50 players to come in and impact immediately, we might be setting our selves up for disappointment

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, PhinithreeMagic said:

All 3 of the guys coming in seem to have very strong desire to improve, compete, and win. That mentality alone will help change the culture of the program even if they don't up being All-B10 players.

Maybe.  Unless the current bunch on the team have had their attitudes irreversibly poisoned.  Then we’re going to have to wait until THEY have graduated.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

unfortunately it better translate immediately into an upward trajectory.  If it take every class 3/4 years to reach their potential with CAM he won't make it out of his 5th year.  Expecting 3 freshman who are not top 50 players to come in and impact immediately, we might be setting our selves up for disappointment

this is kind of what i'm saying.  i'm not saying they won't be good long term players.  i'm worried that we need at least one player to be a difference maker next year if we're going to be much better. 

15 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

this is kind of what i'm saying.  i'm not saying they won't be good long term players.  i'm worried that we need at least one player to be a difference maker next year if we're going to be much better. 

Couldn't that come from players already on the roster who just improves like TJD and Hunter developing into great players.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Couldn't that come from players already on the roster who just improves like TJD and Hunter developing into great players.

I think we need Phinissee to develop.  I am not worried about our frontcourt, our guards are what kill us right now.  That is why I am hoping for a JC or Grad transfer at the 2 that can help fill the gap while the other younger guys develop.

^^ TJD is performing on a level with Cody's frosh season. He's clearly legit and can be part of a really good team. Next year he will almost certainly be on the team and will likely come back even better as a soph. Hunter is already showing significant signs of real improvement, and with a full summer of conditioning, etc., should be significantly better and likely on the level he was looking to be coming into his frosh year before his season-ending condition. Both should be strong contributors next year. 

We have a legit point guard, but with Rob's continuing injuries it seems every year, it's also pretty clear we need another point guard. Hope we see that in recruiting, along with some more shooting.   

• Like 3

Just now, IUCrazy2 said:

I think we need Phinissee to develop.  I am not worried about our frontcourt, our guards are what kill us right now.  That is why I am hoping for a JC or Grad transfer at the 2 that can help fill the gap while the other younger guys develop.

No doubt that RP will be a key for this team to improve and he has to get totally healthy.  it is not like most college teams have 5 great players in the starting lineup but if you have 3 key scorers to go with two very good role players I think that makes for a good team.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

No doubt that RP will be a key for this team to improve and he has to get totally healthy.  it is not like most college teams have 5 great players in the starting lineup but if you have 3 key scorers to go with two very good role players I think that makes for a good team.

We basically need Hunter and a one of either RP or some other guard to be a consistent threat from outside.  If we get that, I think Brunk can be a garbage guy down low and TJD has shown he can be hard to handle when given some space down low.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

The thing you are leaving out is that kind of mentality and hunger and leadership is infectious. It pushes those around them to step up their effort and game. It feeds to the rest of the team. You don't have to even play major minutes to have a major impact on a basketball team. From practice to film sessions to weight lifting everything and everyone can be influenced by a winners mentality. Those kids may not effect the outcome in the box score every night but I guarantee they will effect their upper classman in a way that can effect a box sheet. Give me more passion....give me more coach's sons....more floor burns and scuffles...it will benefit the team. You start getting more and more of these kids every year and it won't take 3-4 years to see them pay off on the floor. I think these kids can definitely rub off on the others. I think Brunk and Trayce have that mentality...unfortunately I don't see that fire from our upper class man but I bet when they get pushed...it will come out.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

The thing you are leaving out is that kind of mentality and hunger and leadership is infectious. It pushes those around them to step up their effort and game. It feeds to the rest of the team. You don't have to even play major minutes to have a major impact on a basketball team. From practice to film sessions to weight lifting everything and everyone can be influenced by a winners mentality. Those kids may not effect the outcome in the box score every night but I guarantee they will effect their upper classman in a way that can effect a box sheet. Give me more passion....give me more coach's sons....more floor burns and scuffles...it will benefit the team. You start getting more and more of these kids every year and it won't take 3-4 years to see them pay off on the floor. I think these kids can definitely rub off on the others. I think Brunk and Trayce have that mentality...unfortunately I don't see that fire from our upper class man but I bet when they get pushed...it will come out.

Not saying you're wrong.  Not saying even if we win less games next year but play with passion and fire that CAM will be given a reprieve.  I am saying we keep finding ways to keep excuse everything wrong with this team without laying any at the coaches feet.  He needs 5 years.  He needs to get rid of CTC's players.  He needs players that fit his system.  He needs players who have drive and passion.  Then we will turn around and when these 3 freshman play like freshman and don't bring what everyone wants, we will say, oh they are freshman, they need time to mature and learn the offense.  He needs more years to get his culture here. He has only been through one full recruiting cycle.

We will go a long way to make an excuse for every reason other than maybe the coach is in over his heard in the deep end of the pool.

I am not saying he is or he isn't.  But i am done making excuses for him.  Good coaches can coach.  They can make adjustments.  They can discipline their guys while inspiring them.  They can adjust their game plan or offense/defense scheme to maximize the talent they have on the floor.  They make good decision and stand by them.  They do what they say and you see the results, good or bad. 

At the end of the day, CAM is top guy.  The one getting paid.  The one who makes all the decisions.  Who is accountable for what people are paying for.  And if people stop paying for these results, you will see something happen.  Start looking at the upper decks if we lose tonight.  That will tell you how invested the fan base is.  See how many leave early.  Listen for boos or if the place just cannot get as loud as it usually is.  Who cares what we say on here.  Watch the game and the crowd.  That right there will tell all you need to know about the fan base

Sorry for rambling.  I just want to be better.  I want to talk about IU with pride again and not have to make excuses about why we do "X".  

Go Hoosier!!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Not saying you're wrong.  Not saying even if we win less games next year but play with passion and fire that CAM will be given a reprieve.  I am saying we keep finding ways to keep excuse everything wrong with this team without laying any at the coaches feet.  He needs 5 years.  He needs to get rid of CTC's players.  He needs players that fit his system.  He needs players who have drive and passion.  Then we will turn around and when these 3 freshman play like freshman and don't bring what everyone wants, we will say, oh they are freshman, they need time to mature and learn the offense.  He needs more years to get his culture here. He has only been through one full recruiting cycle.

We will go a long way to make an excuse for every reason other than maybe the coach is in over his heard in the deep end of the pool.

I am not saying he is or he isn't.  But i am done making excuses for him.  Good coaches can coach.  They can make adjustments.  They can discipline their guys while inspiring them.  They can adjust their game plan or offense/defense scheme to maximize the talent they have on the floor.  They make good decision and stand by them.  They do what they say and you see the results, good or bad. 

At the end of the day, CAM is top guy.  The one getting paid.  The one who makes all the decisions.  Who is accountable for what people are paying for.  And if people stop paying for these results, you will see something happen.  Start looking at the upper decks if we lose tonight.  That will tell you how invested the fan base is.  See how many leave early.  Listen for boos or if the place just cannot get as loud as it usually is.  Who cares what we say on here.  Watch the game and the crowd.  That right there will tell all you need to know about the fan base

Sorry for rambling.  I just want to be better.  I want to talk about IU with pride again and not have to make excuses about why we do "X".  

Go Hoosier!!

Can you honestly read this board and say nobody is laying any of the blame at coach's feet?

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Can you honestly read this board and say nobody is laying any of the blame at coach's feet?

Depends on who you are reading.  There are alot of those who don't want to lay anything at his feet and there are those who want to blame him for it raining outside.  I just think we need to put blame where blame belongs.  Doesn't mean we don't want him to succeed or we want the man fired.  It just means we want accountability and ownership

Just my thoughts though

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Depends on who you are reading.  There are alot of those who don't want to lay anything at his feet and there are those who want to blame him for it raining outside.  I just think we need to put blame where blame belongs.  Doesn't mean we don't want him to succeed or we want the man fired.  It just means we want accountability and ownership

Just my thoughts though

I would recommend everyone fighting the urge to put people into boxes based on some posts. 

Yeah, I think the admin is a hot mess. I think IU ‘s admin holds a lot of responsibility for where IU basketball is right now, and I also believe they do handcuff the staff to a large extent. I also think a coach should probably get 4 years/a full recruiting cycle. 

With that said, think it’s ridiculous to go 3 years at IU without making the tournament. I also don’t think Glass is dictating playing time. It’s Archie’s problem that he can’t infuse his personality into the team. It’s Archie’s problem that in three years this team still doesn’t play hard and doesn’t have an identity. It’s on Archie that there’s little movement on offense and that he’s been so married to the big lineup, etc., etc.

It can all be true. The admin is terrible, Archie could probably be much more successful with a real admin with full support, but he should also be doing better than he is even with the circumstances. 

Painting posters, or even the board in general, into a box isn’t really productive. 

I don’t mean to really address this specifically to you and I hope it doesn’t come off that I’m going at you. I love your participation on this board and respect your opinions, I just used your post as a jumping off point as I’ve felt this happening by various people the board during this ‘admin vs. Archie’ thing. 

Edited by BGleas

20 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Just my thoughts though

Fair, and seems more balanced.  :)

18 hours ago, IUguy said:

Can he shoot?  Can any of our 2020 recruits light it up consistently?  Can any of them play point guard?  If the answers are "yes", than great.  If not, then why not?

Leal and Galloway can bring the ball up if needed. They are great and pushing the ball up on fast breaks. They are not point guards though. 

All 3 can shoot the 3. Leal is probably more of a "shooter" while the other 2 are more slashers/utilities that can shoot. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

Leal and Galloway can bring the ball up if needed. They are great and pushing the ball up on fast breaks. They are not point guards though. 

All 3 can shoot the 3. Leal is probably more of a "shooter" while the other 2 are more slashers/utilities that can shoot. 

I'd add that Geronimo is not at this point an "outside shooter," a pure 3-point shooter, but he's a scorer from the wing, and he has been improving his 3-point shot during the season -- and his free throws and percentages show his good form. 

I keep comparing him to Vic in terms of his play in certain respects (based on people I know who've watched him play), he is an athletic wing scorer who pushes his game from the defensive side of the ball, is strong attacking the basket, brings big time energy to his games regularly, and who is growing his outside game. 

Here's a Jerry Meyer recruiting evaluation from last summer:

Has long arms and quality athleticism both vertically and laterally. Has room to put on weight and add strength. Is a good spot up 3-point shooter. Not a great ball handler. Dribble game is primarily straight line attacks of the basket. Rebounds his position well. Should be an above average versatile defender. Could develop into an NBA free agent signing.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Go Hoosier!!

My question to you...and probably a reason why people differ on the state of the program....how long do you think it takes to turn around the program. I would say my expectations are that it is going to take a minimum 5 years for us to see if a program is headed in the right direction. IU gave Archie a 7 year contract meaning they likely as well think 5 full years is a good idea to see if we are turning this around or not. Meaning the last two years would be used only if necessary (iffy) on  him or to have time to extend him and to not hurt his recruiting chances by letting him go into a contract year. If you think after year 3 the jury should decide...you aren't in line with what IU thinks..and probably a lot of people you disagree with on this board. Sure...he could have went gang busters and knocked it out in year 2 and 3 and be on his way to a final four and we have our answer but that would be likely unrealistic. We could have a team falling apart with losing seasons, getting arrested, coach getting arrested, flunking out but we aren't....we are a team that has been basically avg. I would say avg is a pretty good result given the circumstances of when he got hired. I think your expectations of where you want us to be is perfectly fine...I want us there too...but my opinion...you are asking too much too fast. Guy had 1 season with nobody he recruited and no talent...1 season with a few kids he recruited...some talent but spent most of it fighting injuries...and third year with talent and improving record wise. It's inconsistent at times but 18 year olds are just that. I mean look at Roy at UNC. On paper he has way more talent than Archie but his team is tanking. I just think you are expecting too much too soon and probably others are too. The roster is slowly getting turned over....and if after 5 years he hasn't accomplished what we expect which is competing for B1G titles and making a run in the tourney or not even close to looking like it. Ok. But this is year 2.5 ..basically a third of what he is contracted for...not sure anyone could do much more with what Archie landed with any faster.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Who might be 2020’s late bloomers?

Jordan Geronimo, St. Paul’s – Geronimo is the obvious answer in the region and one of the better national candidates as well. He has all the physical tools, the innate character to keep developing, and still vast untapped potential. And while he’s already committed to Indiana, the reality is his level of recruitment was based more on his tools and potential coming out of the summer then it was his production or ability to already dominate a high-level game. In short, he may be barely scratching the surface. 

https://newenglandrecruitingreport.com/in-the-news/who-might-be-2020s-late-bloomers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3