Jordan Geronimo (2020) Commits to Indiana

37 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Who might be 2020’s late bloomers?

Jordan Geronimo, St. Paul’s – Geronimo is the obvious answer in the region and one of the better national candidates as well. He has all the physical tools, the innate character to keep developing, and still vast untapped potential. And while he’s already committed to Indiana, the reality is his level of recruitment was based more on his tools and potential coming out of the summer then it was his production or ability to already dominate a high-level game. In short, he may be barely scratching the surface. 

https://newenglandrecruitingreport.com/in-the-news/who-might-be-2020s-late-bloomers

My favorite words in that piece are 'innate character'.  

People need to lower there expectations on this kid in the short term.  He’s very raw, he’s an athlete playing basketball at this point. (There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.) He does however have some things you can’t teach, High Motor, Crazy length, and athleticism.  I don’t expect him to contribute much next year, hopefully I’ll be wrong.  I think he will be very good but it will take sometime.  Kind of looking forward to see how this staff can develop him.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

People need to lower there expectations on this kid in the short term.  He’s very raw, he’s an athlete playing basketball at this point. (There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.) He does however have some things you can’t teach, High Motor, Crazy length, and athleticism.  I don’t expect him to contribute much next year, hopefully I’ll be wrong.  I think he will be very good but it will take sometime.  Kind of looking forward to see how this staff can develop him.

Absolutely agree.  I watched a number of his games this season and the above description is spot on.  If he has an Oladipo like work ethic then we could have a true gem on our team in a year or 2.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

18 pts, 9 boards,  38% from 3...  I don't have "expectations " of greatness. But as our highest rated recruit, with the most upside, I think he will contribute 

And we're lowering our expectations, with stats like that ?   Like we don't need a 3 point shooter ?  Bring back Yogi !

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

18 pts, 9 boards,  38% from 3...  I don't have "expectations " of greatness. But as our highest rated recruit, with the most upside, I think he will contribute 

Geronimo - 3.98 GPA

Leal - 4.3 GPA

Galloway - can't find GPA but was offered by Notre Dame and plans to major in Business at IU

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Geronimo - 3.98 GPA

Leal - 4.3 GPA

Galloway - can't find GPA but was offered by Notre Dame and plans to major in Business at IU

Geronimo with just a 3.98 GPA ? 

Geez I have no idea how I would have ever gotten that in high school.  No matter how hard I tried. And yet. IU accepted me.

On 3/3/2020 at 5:16 PM, IUwins0708 said:

Have posted this before but will again here.

Someone I know well who watched / scouted kids out East including Vic when he was at DeMatha, and who told me then that Vic (then averaging a double-double as an off-ball guard) was going to be an amazing college player and was grossly under-estimated by other scouts, has watched Geronimo in person and told me when he did - when we were recruiting him — that he is better than Vic at the same age. 

Vic was also “raw” in some respects, shooting, offensive court awareness, to an extent his handle, but obviously was extremely gifted with great upside coming in. On my friend’s scouting it sounds like Geronimo is similar in a number of ways. And a better outside shooter - clearly - coming in. 

Vic would not have gotten the floor time he did on this team. That benefitted his development. Geronimo may well take more time, but I wouldn’t underestimate his potential, he’s not just raw, he’s extremely talented 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Have posted this before but will again here.

Someone I know well who watched / scouted kids out East including Vic when he was at DeMatha, and who told me then that Vic (then averaging a double-double as an off-ball guard) was going to be an amazing college player and was grossly under-estimated by other scouts, has watched Geronimo in person and told me when he did - when we were recruiting him — that he is better than Vic at the same age. 

Vic was also “raw” in some respects, shooting, offensive court awareness, to an extent his handle, but obviously was extremely gifted with great upside coming in. On my friend’s scouting it sounds like Geronimo is similar in a number of ways. And a better outside shooter - clearly - coming in. 

Vic would not have gotten the floor time he did on this team. That benefitted his development. Geronimo may well take more time, but I wouldn’t underestimate his potential, he’s not just raw, he’s extremely talented 

No doubt he’s talented, never said he wasn’t.  Vic is quicker Ger is bigger.  Geronimo is a better shooter to date.  Geronimos competition I know nothing about, is it high level?

23 minutes ago, loviubb said:

I think we got a steal in this young man.

We did. This board I think is coming around on him....and in about 10 months the rest of Hoosier Nation is going to be asking who is this Geronimo kid. You can just see the signs. Vic Fife Hornsby Bryant Williams....others over the last 8 years who will be loved and loved quickly by how they play and how much they actually just love hoops. Could be the gem of the class and no disrespect to anyone else but 7'2 wingspan on a kid who has shown he can shoot? Sign me up and glad he's headed to the 812.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, loviubb said:

I think we got a steal in this young man.

You know.  One of our former members dissed Victor O. Prior to and when he made it to IU.  How did that turn out for IU ?

Time will only tell if we have stolen another Victor O.... with young Mr. Geronimo.  Good base.  And if he puts the work and heart into his game as did Victor.  No question a steal.

And thanks to Reacher for the video.

Edited by milehiiu

I think Geronimo is going to follow the path of Arman. Get some minutes here and there, play good D, etc.

I'm liking the young kids we are bringing in. I believe we will start seeing a nice, steady flow of 4 year kids that get better over time.

Not to diss Crean, but we either had freshmen that had to step in and play big minutes, or they didnt stick around long enough to develop. Franklin and kids like Geronimo are ones that may sit the bench a good amount their freshmen year, but you can see the potential and at the very least, are capable of stepping in if needed and not tanking the flow or becoming a liability. Kids like these are critical to a good program.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ephul said:

I think Geronimo is going to follow the path of Arman. Get some minutes here and there, play good D, etc.

I'm liking the young kids we are bringing in. I believe we will start seeing a nice, steady flow of 4 year kids that get better over time.

Not to diss Crean, but we either had freshmen that had to step in and play big minutes, or they didnt stick around long enough to develop. Franklin and kids like Geronimo are ones that may sit the bench a good amount their freshmen year, but you can see the potential and at the very least, are capable of stepping in if needed and not tanking the flow or becoming a liability. Kids like these are critical to a good program.

Great post. As posted above. I think it all depends upon how much work any kid is willing to put in. Can't always depend on the HC.  IU has a great practice facility, in Cook Hall.  They all should be taking advantage of the facility that the University has provided for them.  This includes our lady ballers as well.

Please understand. I am not disagreeing with you.  You and I  go way back. And I do appreciate our friendship over the years.   Take care my friend.

• Like 2

For ever Vic Dipo there is a bust!!!  If IU is handing out scholarships to kids like Geronimo, it’s a reach IMO and not what we need to compete for a NC.  We’re now counting on a player that has weaknesses to hone his game & become ALL PRO like Vic Dipo!  Not saying this kid can’t replicate Vic but ODDS say otherwise!!  Prove me wrong Geronimo that your fate isn’t the same as DA!  This program can’t wait until your JR season until your ready so let’s go!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

On 2/14/2020 at 12:35 PM, dgambill said:

My question to you...and probably a reason why people differ on the state of the program....how long do you think it takes to turn around the program. I would say my expectations are that it is going to take a minimum 5 years for us to see if a program is headed in the right direction. IU gave Archie a 7 year contract meaning they likely as well think 5 full years is a good idea to see if we are turning this around or not. Meaning the last two years would be used only if necessary (iffy) on  him or to have time to extend him and to not hurt his recruiting chances by letting him go into a contract year. If you think after year 3 the jury should decide...you aren't in line with what IU thinks..and probably a lot of people you disagree with on this board. Sure...he could have went gang busters and knocked it out in year 2 and 3 and be on his way to a final four and we have our answer but that would be likely unrealistic. We could have a team falling apart with losing seasons, getting arrested, coach getting arrested, flunking out but we aren't....we are a team that has been basically avg. I would say avg is a pretty good result given the circumstances of when he got hired. I think your expectations of where you want us to be is perfectly fine...I want us there too...but my opinion...you are asking too much too fast. Guy had 1 season with nobody he recruited and no talent...1 season with a few kids he recruited...some talent but spent most of it fighting injuries...and third year with talent and improving record wise. It's inconsistent at times but 18 year olds are just that. I mean look at Roy at UNC. On paper he has way more talent than Archie but his team is tanking. I just think you are expecting too much too soon and probably others are too. The roster is slowly getting turned over....and if after 5 years he hasn't accomplished what we expect which is competing for B1G titles and making a run in the tourney or not even close to looking like it. Ok. But this is year 2.5 ..basically a third of what he is contracted for...not sure anyone could do much more with what Archie landed with any faster.

BRAVO!!!  Most IU fans forget that the Cody led Hoosiers were the #1 seed but failed to get past the sweet sixteen!!!  Watching reruns of this team makes me sick as to how we didn’t make it to at least the final four!  Insert CAM and with a less talented squad didn’t make the Tourney in his first two yrs as the team struggled to buy in!  By yr three if it wasn’t for a Frosh B10 player of the yr, the Hoosiers would’ve missed the Tourney again!  Fast forward to yr 4, and it all seems to come together as TJD returns and 5 star talent is added to the pg position!  Question is, does this team buy in to CAM system or TBD...

Edited by BornHoosier
  • Like 1