Jordan Geronimo (2020) Commits to Indiana

1 hour ago, IndyResident16 said:

If we're being fair, he is a good player (AAU stats aside) that will actually fit Purdue's system quite well. Purdue's system requires all 3 guards/wings to be able to handle and pass the ball. Morton fits that bill extremely well. He can handle the rock and distribute the basketball as well as anyone and Purdue will be looking to replace Eastern in a short while. Archie really only needs one true PG in our current system. We have Phinisee for 3 more years and are in great position with Lander in the class behind. Morton just doesn't work as an off-ball guard in Archie's system. Not a good shooter nor have great driving/slashing ability. 

Agree about Morton and how he should fit Purdue. I will say this. I think we need a backup point in the 2020 class and that is why Archie is recruiting point guards so hard. First off we will have no back up true point guard next year on the roster and Rob can’t play 40 mins. Second if we do get Lander...a great chance he is OAD or at best a two year guard. We will need another point to back him up and then take over. 2020 point guard should be on our radar....but one that plays a complementary role not necessarily a top 50 kid.

23 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Agree about Morton and how he should fit Purdue. I will say this. I think we need a backup point in the 2020 class and that is why Archie is recruiting point guards so hard. First off we will have no back up true point guard next year on the roster and Rob can’t play 40 mins. Second if we do get Lander...a great chance he is OAD or at best a two year guard. We will need another point to back him up and then take over. 2020 point guard should be on our radar....but one that plays a complementary role not necessarily a top 50 kid.

It's been widely rumored that Archie is grooming Franklin to play PG. How that will work out, I'm not sure but that is the plan. My daughter cheers at Cathedral and have seen Franklin play many times, primarily as a PG. I know that isn't the same as in college but I believe he can play PG out of necessity as a back up plan to Rob.

As good as Lander is, I'm not so sure he has a) the body type or b) the outside shooting ability to be a OAD. He definitely has NBA talent but not sold on him being a true OAD despite his high school ranking. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, IndyResident16 said:

It's been widely rumored that Archie is grooming Franklin to play PG. How that will work out, I'm not sure but that is the plan. My daughter cheers at Cathedral and have seen Franklin play many times, primarily as a PG. I know that isn't the same as in college but I believe he can play PG out of necessity as a back up plan to Rob.

As good as Lander is, I'm not so sure he has a) the body type or b) the outside shooting ability to be a OAD. He definitely has NBA talent but not sold on him being a true OAD despite his high school ranking. 

Thanks for the info on Franklin. I would say that would be a big stretch for him but I trust what you are saying in that he can buy a few minutes but I would be lying if I thought he could handle a college level full court trapping press or quickly get us in and out of plays but I will happily be wrong. Given that Archie has offered a long list of point guards I think he is also still looking for a true backup. It’s ok that Franklin has ability to help bring it up and facilitate...but I don’t think that will be his primary position.

As far as Lander...I think 2 years max...whether he should go pro after that I think we’ve seen plenty of kids go pro regardless if they need a year or two more. The elite athleticism is there...I think his vision and ball handling are solid...I think he has that something special that will translate...the way he breaks down defenses and delivers the ball right into the shooters pocket ready to shoot...kinda like Ja Morant does...I like him and I think NBA scouts will too.

Edited by dgambill

53 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Thanks for the info on Franklin. I would say that would be a big stretch for him but I trust what you are saying in that he can buy a few minutes but I would be lying if I thought he could handle a college level full court trapping press or quickly get us in and out of plays but I will happily be wrong. Given that Archie has offered a long list of point guards I think he is also still looking for a true backup. It’s ok that Franklin has ability to help bring it up and facilitate...but I don’t think that will be his primary position.

As far as Lander...I think 2 years max...whether he should go pro after that I think we’ve seen plenty of kids go pro regardless if they need a year or two more. The elite athleticism is there...I think his vision and ball handling are solid...I think he has that something special that will translate...the way he breaks down defenses and delivers the ball right into the shooters pocket ready to shoot...kinda like Ja Morant does...I like him and I think NBA scouts will too.

In regards to Lander: I struggle seeing elite athleticism. I categorize him as quick but not necessarily as an elite athlete. His ball skills, vision and court awareness are all there. He’s not a 3 level scorer and his jump shot needs work. 

However, I think there’s certain factors out of his control working against him, mainly size. He’s listed at 6’2 and I think that’s generous. Still young and still time to grow, but you aren’t a OAD 6’1, 6’2 unless you’re an elite athlete AND a 3 level scorer. He still has time to get there, but I question if it happens as underclassmen.

As far as 2020 PG’s...I think Diarra is really the only one (other than Love who we aren’t getting) that is a true PG. Guys like Steward (who we also aren’t getting) and Davis despite his height are combo guards and elite scorers. Davis has handles, but he’s a high volume, shoot first type guard. Andre Curbelo is another name to keep an eye on.

Depending on how this class shakes out and how things progress with Lander, wouldn’t be shocked to see IU go with a grad transfer PG as a one year rental.

Edited by IndyResident16
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, dgambill said:

Did you get to catch some Cathedral games or have you seen him live?  I’ve seen highlight reels of him scoring, but that didn’t give a real clear picture of his capabilities.  Intriguing to hear about that potential.

20 minutes ago, CrimsonV said:

Did you get to catch some Cathedral games or have you seen him live?  I’ve seen highlight reels of him scoring, but that didn’t give a real clear picture of his capabilities.  Intriguing to hear about that potential.

I saw him several times lives over the last two years. Very long and athletic and got to the rim very well against pretty good high school competition night in and night out. Was a streaky shooter but shooting form looked okay. Has the physical size and tools to be a very good two way player down the line.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IndyResident16 said:

I saw him several times lives over the last two years. Very long and athletic and got to the rim very well against pretty good high school competition night in and night out. Was a streaky shooter but shooting form looked okay. Has the physical size and tools to be a very good two way player down the line.

I think he's very underrated. Saw him play some of the best teams in Indy area last year or two and he was putting up 20/30 games from all areas on court routinely. To me he fits the same mold as guys like Leal, Galloway,etc.....very good 3-4 year players.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I think he's very underrated. Saw him play some of the best teams in Indy area last year or two and he was putting up 20/30 games from all areas on court routinely. To me he fits the same mold as guys like Leal, Galloway,etc.....very good 3-4 year players.

Agreed. I love the idea of building the program by getting older. The problem is that alot of our fanbase expectations are the contrary. 

11 minutes ago, Moyeneeded said:

Agreed. I love the idea of building the program by getting older. The problem is that alot of our fanbase expectations are the contrary. 

I think you can attribute a lot of that on the instant gratification crowd we have today and social media.  I know it has been hard the last 25 years of IU basketball and we all want to get back on top but we as fans should not put ourselves in the way and be part of the problem.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CrimsonV said:

I didn’t watch anything live. Just the replays on ishaa website all star game and stuff. I feel like he does a really good job of driving and keeping his head up and looking for his teammates not just looking to score. He does look comfortable with the ball in his hands but wouldn’t say he is a natural ball handler or point guard. As for his ability to defend and score..he is physically gifted and a much better scorer than shooter but has good form. Big thing I saw is a very willing defender that will take on the challenge of guarding the opponents best player. At best he may end up a combo guard but I struggle to see him running the show permanently. Glad to have him and think he could compliment our other 2020 shooting guard recruits very well in a 3 guard lineup!

Edited by dgambill
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Didn’t pay much attention to this kid until now. Just watched his Hudl Tape and came away very impressed. Very explosive, great shot blocker, nasty dunker in traffic, can pass!, and can shoot it a little (40%) from three! Reminds me of Draymond Green honestly. He does it all like Green just more explosive. Not sure what Green was ranked coming out high school?

i know why Crean is on him he could be the next OG or Oladipo. Looks like a lot of talent waiting to be unlocked. 

I would be very excited if he choose IU! Seems like fierce competitor to. Just shows me again that Archie really has an eye for talent! I’ve Really been impressed with the guys we are targeting for 2020. I Love Cross and this guy! IU is in great hands! 

Edited by 5 championships
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I wonder if Geronimo and Cross are in an either/or situation?

My guess is it is. Cross was rumored to be nearing a decision around this time before taking additional visits to Florida and A&M recently. I would say that if Cross hasn't committed by the time Geronimo visits later this month then it's fair game. Cross to my knowledge hasn't received any additional offers and I don't think this a recruitment that IU wants to drag out. If Geronimo wants to commit on the spot later this month more power to him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

My guess is it is. Cross was rumored to be nearing a decision around this time before taking additional visits to Florida and A&M recently. I would say that if Cross hasn't committed by the time Geronimo visits later this month then it's fair game. Cross to my knowledge hasn't received any additional offers and I don't think this a recruitment that IU wants to drag out. If Geronimo wants to commit on the spot later this month more power to him.

I think you are spot on with this assessment.  I believe Cross will be the next to say yes to the Hoosiers 

2 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Good stuff.  I like both players, for different reasons.  Cross has the motor and ruggedness that will play well in the B1G.  Love his rebounding numbers too. Geronimo is a rising athlete that looks versatile.  He looks like he has the building blocks to defend, pass, shoot, and drive.

I'd be very happy with either one.  

15 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Good stuff.  I like both players, for different reasons.  Cross has the motor and ruggedness that will play well in the B1G.  Love his rebounding numbers too. Geronimo is a rising athlete that looks versatile.  He looks like he has the building blocks to defend, pass, shoot, and drive.

I'd be very happy with either one.  

I want Cross and Geronimo. Someone always leaves every year, take them both. 

Edited by Bowhunter

7 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Still leaves a logjam, even if somebody leaves. Sign Cross and Geronimo you're not getting a big for this class.

Could be by design where we can offer Furst, Kaufman, JBF immediate playing time and Archie is showing that path. Same as not getting a PG this class showing Lander his spot is open. 

Just a guess though.