Kyle Macy Sounds Off

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

@IU Scott, serious question to stay on topic.

Does the importance of the opponent/game make them a great rival?

If so then based off last year, we now have a new biggest rival.  Ohio state.  Since that final game determined if we got in the tournament or not. 

Yes to me every conference team is a rival because you have to beat them to win the conference which is the first goal any team should have.

37 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Yes to me every conference team is a rival because you have to beat them to win the conference which is the first goal any team should have.

I don't see it that way.  I view Purdue as a rival the rest I view as conference opponents.

13 minutes ago, rico said:

I don't see it that way.  I view Purdue as a rival the rest I view as conference opponents.

I agree that PU is the biggest rival in the conference but to me the other conference games are bigger than any non conference game but that is just my opinion.  To me a prime example of this was in 89 where we got killed 3 times in the non conference to top teams in Syracuse, UNC and UL.  Despite all of that we still won the conference but 2 losses to UI was the difference between getting a 1 seed instead of a 2 that we got.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Some self-respect and some leverage in the future.  Guess what happens when other schools see IU is willing to roll over and be UK's lapdog?

Absolutely nothing?  There are only 3-4 other schools that have the pull UK does, and we don’t have ongoing series/historical rivalries with any of them.  

The first part of your answer is really what this is about... Fans trying to salvage some sense of “self-respect” regarding IU’s status compared to UK.  Which, given the current state of the program, is actually hurting it.

I grew up in Boonville In.  Really south along the Ohio River.  Kentucky/Purdue were the rivals of IU growing up.  I still to this day can't stand Kentucky.  I have softened some on Purdue since i don't live in Indiana anymore, but i will root against Kentucky every game they play. 

Kentucky knows how hard it is to come in to Bloomington and win a game.  And in todays day and age they are not going to take the chance to come into our house, where we are going to be ranked in the 100's and chance losing and keeping them from getting a good seed come march.  I don't blame them.  We should take the Nuetral court games, get the free Non-Con average boost and roll the dice to beat them.  We climb back into a perennial top 10 team and they will play us home and away.  Do we have any home/away contracts with team 100 rankings below us?  And if so how have they worked out?

Just my 2 cents.  I am usually wrong so dont go to hard on me. 

2 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Absolutely nothing?  There are only 3-4 other schools that have the pull UK does, and we don’t have ongoing series/historical rivalries with any of them.  

The first part of your answer is really what this is about... Fans trying to salvage some sense of “self-respect” regarding IU’s status compared to UK.  Which, given the current state of the program, is actually hurting it.

I'll politely disagree with your assessment.  I think IU loses a lot of they are seen as caving to Cal's demands.  That absolutely does not help the program's stature in my eyes.

This is one topic where I'm with Cal/UK on this. I want IU to be innovators in the sport. As someone who hasn't lived in Indiana in almost 30 years, I sometimes view these things more nationally than locally. But IMO, around the country IU is viewed as old and out-dated in terms of the bball program, and I see other schools, and especially their AD's being really creative, etc. 

I believe playing on the navy ship was the idea of MSU's AD. Cal/UK, along with some others, have spearheaded this neutral-site/showcase in different cities thing that is popular now. Yet IU is the school worried about an extra home game and playing the local schools in the Crossroads Classic (where really only people in Indiana care that much).

99% of the board is going to HATE this, but if I'm Glass I'm perfectly willing to play UK at neutral sites, but we're not playing in Indy. This isn't a showcase UK game, this is a showcase IU & UK game. We're playing in NYC, Philly, DC, Chicago. We're going to play in Phoenix in a double-header that also features Arizona playing somebody like Nevada, New Mexico or Texas. Maybe each year it rotates cities and there's an "undercard" with two somewhat local schools. Maybe another country. I'm making this an event every December that other schools are jealous of. 

Be innovative. Make IU exciting again. I'm not by any means saying to drop tradition. The tradition and the fanbase are what make IU as relevant as it still is. But it's also time for creativity, innovation, and making IU 'cool' again.  

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This is one topic where I'm with Cal/UK on this. I want IU to be innovators in the sport. As someone who hasn't lived in Indiana in almost 30 years, I sometimes view these things more nationally than locally. But IMO, around the country IU is viewed as old and out-dated in terms of the bball program, and I see other schools, and especially their AD's being really creative, etc. 

I believe playing on the navy ship was the idea of MSU's AD. Cal/UK, along with some others, have spearheaded this neutral-site/showcase in different cities thing that is popular now. Yet IU is the school worried about an extra home game and playing the local schools in the Crossroads Classic (where really only people in Indiana care that much).

99% of the board is going to HATE this, but if I'm Glass I'm perfectly willing to play UK at neutral sites, but we're not playing in Indy. This isn't a showcase UK game, this is a showcase IU & UK game. We're playing in NYC, Philly, DC, Chicago. We're going to play in Phoenix in a double-header that also features Arizona playing somebody like Nevada, New Mexico or Texas. Maybe each year it rotates cities and there's an "undercard" with two somewhat local schools. Maybe another country. I'm making this an event every December that other schools are jealous of. 

Be innovative. Make IU exciting again. I'm not by any means saying to drop tradition. The tradition and the fanbase are what make IU as relevant as it still is. But it's also time for creativity, innovation, and making IU 'cool' again.  

That's not a terrible idea, but I still prefer the 4-year rotation that was proposed, even though it puts a game in Indianapolis.  If it ever goes neutral sites only, I'll grudgingly accept a proposal like you just made.  No way in hell does Cal get 50% of the games in Indianapolis though.

17 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I'll politely disagree with your assessment.  I think IU loses a lot of they are seen as caving to Cal's demands.  That absolutely does not help the program's stature in my eyes.

Totally agree with this, yes UK right now is a far better program but historically we are right on par with them so why should we act like their little brother.

I really don't care where they play although my first choice would be on campus, my second an alternating neutral site Indy/Louisville. 

BGleas brings up some interesting ideas, and I suppose even old school stuck-in-the-muds like me need to get onboard and embrace the changing culture of college basketball. If being "cool" is it, I'm fine with that.

I just to get back in the ring with them. Play it in the Oolitic Gym for all I care. 

It's one of the greatest rivalry games in all of college sports...

34 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

The program’s stature really can’t get much lower.  IU fans are the only ones who would view this as “caving to Cal’s demands.”  

4 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

The program’s stature really can’t get much lower.  IU fans are the only ones who would view this as “caving to Cal’s demands.”  

I'd politely disagree with this assessment as well.  Sorry you feel so bad about the program.

...and I'd just about guarantee Cal would gloat about making IU his b*tch.

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

Dude, whatever.  I wasn't making it personal, but sure seems like you're going there.

Some fans won't ever be happy and I think some are the most happiest when they are miserable.  It is the off season and people still find things to complain about.  If we went 40-0 but lost in the championship game on a last second half court shot there would be fans who would call the season a  disappointment.

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

That may be one of the top five GIF's in IU basketball history.

It's good but I've always been partial to this one as we had just doubled up PU and there's well Crean being Crean.  I've never seen anyone who needed a good tailor more than Tom Crean.

giphy (1).gif

5 minutes ago, rico said:

Back in the day there were 4 games I really looked forward to watching every season.  UK, Notre Dame, and Purdue twice.

I agree but I look forward to every IU game no matter who they are playing.  We only get about 30 a year and to me the season is short so I will try to enjoy every game.

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Rico, I'd add Louisville to that list.  We'd plow through ND, Louisville, and Kentucky in the preseason plus some other marquee games in the pre-season NIT, Maui, or whatever other tourney we'd enter.  We were at the highest relevancy back then.

If we are so irrelevant now why do we still usually get one of the marquee matchup in the ACC/ Big Ten challenge. we also get as many ESPN and CBS games as we ever have so that doe snot seem to be irrelevant to me.  I also looked back at our schedules going back to the early 80's and they have been very similar to what we have done the last 10 years.  We usually play 3 really big marquee matchups with a few mid level power conference teams and a  few mid major teams.  The only real difference is that lately we played more teams below 300 than we use to do but the top of the schedule is pretty similar.

Archived