Andre Curbelo (2020 point guard - Illinois Bound.

Madison22

16 points, 8 assists, 8 rebounds, 4 steals per game.

More info, including a Devonte Green connection, thanks to our hard-working friend @The Daily Hoosier

In cases like this, I think it's nice to view the videos on TDH's free site, instead of posting them here.  Even if he didn't shoot them, he wrote the article for us.  Seems we can at least give him traffic to support his work.  Just my opinion.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-names-to-know-2020-point-guard-andre-curbelo/

Andre.JPG

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He definitely has good court vision. 3-14 threes in 15 games definitely shows he is not a threat from outside. I like some other pgs we have offers to but I understand Archie won’t stop til he gets the right mix on the roster. Seems he is really intent on getting a pg to go with the two in state kids. Hopefully we can get Rob some help in 2020.

• 1 month later...
  • Madison22 changed the title to Andre Curbelo (2020 point guard - offered)
On 7/21/2019 at 8:47 PM, dgambill said:

He definitely has good court vision. 3-14 threes in 15 games definitely shows he is not a threat from outside. 

True, but I like how he's only taken 14 3s in 15 games. The optimist in me says he doesn't carelessly and lazily jack up 3s to his team's detriment.

His game is getting other people the ball.

From TheDailyHoosier article -- 

Averaged 16.2 points, 8.1 assists, 7.8 rebounds and 4.1 steals per game to lead Long Island Lutheran to the New York state federation Class AA Tournament of Champions title according to Max Preps.

Overall during AAU play, Curbelo averaged 16.7 points per game while shooting 52.9% from the field for the New York Jayhawks in 24.4 minutes of action per contest.  He only attempted 14 three-pointers in 15 games, making three.  Curbelo has added 5.7 assists, 4.1 rebounds, 1.8 turnovers and 1.3 steals per contest on the Adidas circuit.

Pretty consistent performance from high school to AAU ball.  I like his assist numbers as well as his rebounding numbers especially since he's listed at just 6' in height.  And like Granger said, he's clearly not out there throwing up 3's from all over the place.

Some reason I just feel St Johns is where he ends up. Stays on the east coast. Their pgs are mostly upper class man so after a year should see good playing time. Not sure where he would fit in with us. Pure point guard so can’t play the two. Behind Rob and likely Lander when he commits. I think Archie wants another pg on the roster and probably thinks this kid is being under recruited but late to the game. Long shot to me.

12 hours ago, dgambill said:

Some reason I just feel St Johns is where he ends up. Stays on the east coast. Their pgs are mostly upper class man so after a year should see good playing time. Not sure where he would fit in with us. Pure point guard so can’t play the two. Behind Rob and likely Lander when he commits. I think Archie wants another pg on the roster and probably thinks this kid is being under recruited but late to the game. Long shot to me.

Thoughts from a long-time reader and first time poster.....I'm from the northeast (NYC) and have a daughter at IU.  I also lived minutes from Long Island Lutheran for 20 years so I have some perspective on both St.  Johns and LuHi.  This kid mentioned that the feeling he gets when he steps on the campus is important to him and he wants to feel like "I could be here".  Let me tell you something - nobody feels that way about St. Johns.  It's a commuter school in Queens, NY and its not much to look at.  Long Island Lutheran, on the other hand, is a beautiful campus in a special setting.  I love the feeling I get every time I step on the IU campus and/or walk up Kirkwood towards campus.  It's a special place and it feels like college.  If this kid really cares about that, I feel like he'll have that feeling the second he visits.  He might end up at St Johns because of its proximity to NYC, because of his Puerto Rican heritage and the strong Puerto Rican community in the area but if he's looking for more of a "college" experience in a special setting (like his HS), Archie might have a real good chance of landing him.  I think a visit would be a huge influencer here.

7 minutes ago, HoosierDaddyNYC said:

Thoughts from a long-time reader and first time poster.....I'm from the northeast (NYC) and have a daughter at IU.  I also lived minutes from Long Island Lutheran for 20 years so I have some perspective on both St.  Johns and LuHi.  This kid mentioned that the feeling he get when he steps on the campus is important to him and he wants to feel like "I could be here".  Let me tell you something - nobody feels that way about St. Johns.  It's a commuter school in Queens, NY and its not much to look at.  Long Island Lutheran, on the other hand, is a beautiful campus in a special setting.  I love the feeling I get every time I step on the IU campus and/or walk up Kirkwood towards campus.  It's a special place and it feels like college.  If this kid really cares about that, I feel like he'll have that feeling the second he visits.  He might end up at St Johns because of its proximity to NYC, because of his Puerto Rican heritage and the strong Puerto Rican community in the area but if he's looking for more of a "college" experience in a special setting (like his HS), Archie might have a real good chance of landing him.  I think a visit would be a huge influencer here.

Thanks for the personal insight. Outstanding information and perspective.  Headed up to Bloomington now. Nothing like IU, especially in the fall. 

Glad to know the kid is used to that kind of environment.  Has to be a huge plus for us.  Not to mention, there are many students and alumni from the New York area; that can only help.

1 hour ago, HoosierDaddyNYC said:

Thoughts from a long-time reader and first time poster.....I'm from the northeast (NYC) and have a daughter at IU.  I also lived minutes from Long Island Lutheran for 20 years so I have some perspective on both St.  Johns and LuHi.  This kid mentioned that the feeling he gets when he steps on the campus is important to him and he wants to feel like "I could be here".  Let me tell you something - nobody feels that way about St. Johns.  It's a commuter school in Queens, NY and its not much to look at.  Long Island Lutheran, on the other hand, is a beautiful campus in a special setting.  I love the feeling I get every time I step on the IU campus and/or walk up Kirkwood towards campus.  It's a special place and it feels like college.  If this kid really cares about that, I feel like he'll have that feeling the second he visits.  He might end up at St Johns because of its proximity to NYC, because of his Puerto Rican heritage and the strong Puerto Rican community in the area but if he's looking for more of a "college" experience in a special setting (like his HS), Archie might have a real good chance of landing him.  I think a visit would be a huge influencer here.

Good insights and info, thanks for posting and welcome to posting here

Archived