Andre Curbelo (2020 point guard - Illinois Bound.

Madison22

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I know Archie wants another point guard but I don’t know where that person is coming from. With our crowded back court it’s a minimum 2 years for a 2020 kid likely to see significant playing time. Hard to sell that to a top 100 recruit.

This is a good point.  In the play immediately or transfer era, kids seem to expect big minutes from day one. Unless you can sell, or buy, them on something else, this is just the reality. 

I like the idea of bigger points with length that can shoot (who wouldn't). As we saw with Yogi and Jordan, you can't play too 6 ft points together, especially with the length needed to close out in the pack line defense. 

I would think the sell to an elite point would be, you're going to have to prove you can shoot to be highly regarded in the NBA today. Playing with another point allows better shot opportunities,  and lessens the demands of bringing the ball up and getting the team into the offense on every possession. 

15 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

This is a good point.  In the play immediately or transfer era, kids seem to expect big minutes from day one. Unless you can sell, or buy, them on something else, this is just the reality. 

I like the idea of bigger points with length that can shoot (who wouldn't). As we saw with Yogi and Jordan, you can't play too 6 ft points together, especially with the length needed to close out in the pack line defense. 

I would think the sell to an elite point would be, you're going to have to prove you can shoot to be highly regarded in the NBA today. Playing with another point allows better shot opportunities,  and lessens the demands of bringing the ball up and getting the team into the offense on every possession. 

Rob is the perfect pg to play alongside. He is as unselfish as they come. If I’m Lander I would relish the chance to play along side and attack the defense coming off screens and not have to bring it up. Perfect 1-2 punch. That said Diarra and the other kid we are on...both similar to Rob. Pass first non shooting pgs. I don’t see where they get major playing time.

32 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Rob is the perfect pg to play alongside. He is as unselfish as they come. If I’m Lander I would relish the chance to play along side and attack the defense coming off screens and not have to bring it up. Perfect 1-2 punch. That said Diarra and the other kid we are on...both similar to Rob. Pass first non shooting pgs. I don’t see where they get major playing time.

Good points.  Hopefully if we get one of them, they have serious drive to improve their shot.  Diarra has nice size and length, and sounds like he has a tremendous work ethic.

Of course, you can also go grad transfer for a second point. Wouldn't want to count one as your primary point and team leader, unless a drastic situation arose.  But someone that could play off the ball and back up Rob for a year wouldn't be bad. 

I'd prefer someone you could groom to be a leader and potentially play with an elite, top 30 kind of point guard like Lander.  If you have one solid point on the roster, then you can shoot for the stars.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/6/2019 at 9:32 AM, HoosierDaddyNYC said:

Thoughts from a long-time reader and first time poster.....I'm from the northeast (NYC) and have a daughter at IU.  I also lived minutes from Long Island Lutheran for 20 years so I have some perspective on both St.  Johns and LuHi.  This kid mentioned that the feeling he gets when he steps on the campus is important to him and he wants to feel like "I could be here".  Let me tell you something - nobody feels that way about St. Johns.  It's a commuter school in Queens, NY and its not much to look at.  Long Island Lutheran, on the other hand, is a beautiful campus in a special setting.  I love the feeling I get every time I step on the IU campus and/or walk up Kirkwood towards campus.  It's a special place and it feels like college.  If this kid really cares about that, I feel like he'll have that feeling the second he visits.  He might end up at St Johns because of its proximity to NYC, because of his Puerto Rican heritage and the strong Puerto Rican community in the area but if he's looking for more of a "college" experience in a special setting (like his HS), Archie might have a real good chance of landing him.  I think a visit would be a huge influencer here.

I can’t speak anything about basketball recruits and IU but I had my top female distance runner visit IU because I’m a fan. She had gone to A LOT of big D1 schools and she went to IU somewhat begrudgingly. She was there for one evening and texted me “this Campus is WAY better than all the rest this is my new HOME.” She is graduates now and loves in indy but still loves her decision. IU is special.

11 hours ago, BGleas said:

Not that surprised, one of the Illinois assistants is a former teammate of his fathers. 

Yeah. I know Illinois hosted a showcase for a bunch of teams/players or something a couple months back and the coaches were pretty excited about him and probably used that time to get in good with him.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived