Tom Allen Discusses Approach to Recruiting Success

His approach is one of the reasons I think he'll stick around for a while.  I played a couple years of college baseball, and most of our players were from JUCO.  Our coach was full of crap and blew smoke up their butts, and when they got there they were all pissed.  Nobody could stand the coach.  They would have left, but with only one year remaining, nobody wanted to sit out a year just to play one more.  I love that Allen is real with recruits, so there are no surprises when they get there.  They're all happy, excited, and ready to be part of the team/family.

So many times these flash in the pans who are just trying to move up the ladder don't care about that.  They lie, cheat, and steal to get to the top because they know they're going to ditch the program in a couple years.  They just need the instant success.  PJ Fleck is the first one that comes to mind when I think of coaches like that.

2 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

His approach is one of the reasons I think he'll stick around for a while.  I played a couple years of college baseball, and most of our players were from JUCO.  Our coach was full of crap and blew smoke up their butts, and when they got there they were all pissed.  Nobody could stand the coach.  They would have left, but with only one year remaining, nobody wanted to sit out a year just to play one more.  I love that Allen is real with recruits, so there are no surprises when they get there.  They're all happy, excited, and ready to be part of the team/family.

So many times these flash in the pans who are just trying to move up the ladder don't care about that.  They lie, cheat, and steal to get to the top because they know they're going to ditch the program in a couple years.  They just need the instant success.  PJ Fleck is the first one that comes to mind when I think of coaches like that.

I definitely see what you mean with Fleck.  He seems to be 100 percent about PJ Fleck.  

Archived