The five most hated rivals in IUBB history ?

55 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I agree with this. Win the conference title or at least compete for it (top 4ish every year) consistently, winning every few years, and you'll consistently have a really good tournament seed which increases your chances for a deep run every few years. It's what MSU does. They're in the top few finishers in the conference every year, which means high seeds in the tournament every year, which means deep runs every couple/few years, etc. 

I think it's a chicken/egg situation.  In most cases, teams that win a national championship tend to be those that have won consistently throughout that season.  By consequence, if you win consistently throughout the regular season, you're probably going to finish at or near the top of your conference. 

The conference championship is more of an indicator of overall regular season performance, which is the true indicator of tournament performance.  One of the oldest sayings in statistics, "Correlation does not mean causation" applies here.  Both an NCAA championship and a conference championship can be predicted by consistent regular season performances.  They're a result of the same thing, more or less. 

What is the most memorable game of the 2011-2012 IU season?

In the 2002 run to the NCAA final game, what game do you remember most?

I understand that winning conference games is important in the grand scheme of things. Of course we want to win the conference. Of course we want to do well in the NCAAs. 

But wins over or loses to hated rivals, like UK, or Duke, are games that can provide thrills or hurt forever.

IU is 0-1 all-time versus Cleveland State, and that remains one of the most talked about losses in college basketball history.  Since most IU fans are still pissed about that loss, I consider that to be a rivalry until we even the score.  

Growing up in Southern Indiana, I never hated UK even if they were the rival I had hoped IU to beat the most.   In fact I would watch them often during a season until Cal arrived.  Now I don't pay attention to them at all unless playing IU.    

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

What is the most memorable game of the 2011-2012 IU season?

In the 2002 run to the NCAA final game, what game do you remember most?

I understand that winning conference games is important in the grand scheme of things. Of course we want to win the conference. Of course we want to do well in the NCAAs. 

But wins over or loses to hated rivals, like UK, or Duke, are games that can provide thrills or hurt forever.

I guess I am different because I want to enjoy 4 months of great basketball over a 2 hour great game.  Actually I think in 2002 the best we played all year might have been the home game against UI when we hit 18 3 pointers,  Yes the wins over UK and Duke are exciting but those are jus tone game of 35-40 game sin a year.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I guess I am different because I want to enjoy 4 months of great basketball over a 2 hour great game.  Actually I think in 2002 the best we played all year might have been the home game against UI when we hit 18 3 pointers,  Yes the wins over UK and Duke are exciting but those are jus tone game of 35-40 game sin a year.

Can't have both?

16 hours ago, 5fouls said:

IU is 0-1 all-time versus Cleveland State, and that remains one of the most talked about losses in college basketball history.  Since most IU fans are still pissed about that loss, I consider that to be a rivalry until we even the score.  

What about our recruiting battle for Romeo with Montana State? Can recruiting battles create a rivalry?

22 hours ago, BGleas said:

My list is something like this...

UK

Michigan

OSU

MSU

PU

Some might be surprised at how low I have PU on the list, but it's mostly because I view IU as a national program and IMO those other schools are more threats to our national status and how IU is viewed nationally. Typically, IU is not battling PU for a 4* recruit from Virginia, but we might be battling each of those other schools for that recruit. I guess I just look at PU as more of a regional program compared to those others. I view the Michigan, MSU, OSU group as more of a threat in terms of being viewed as the 'premiere' Big Ten program. 

Not sure if that makes sense, but it's how I view it. 

It kind of makes sense but idk how realistic it is to say that IU-OSU is a big-time rivalry. MSU and UM make more sense but if you’re talking strictly rivalries, UK and Purdue I’d assume would be 1/2 in the order of things. 

That’d be like me saying MSU or UM in terms of being a threat. They’ve been a bigger threat than IU recently but IU is still a bigger/more hated rival. 

1. UK - Contrary to the other Big Ten teams listed below, who I root for in the post-postseason, I NEVER root for UK
2. PU - obviously
3. MSU - I used to like MSU, but Izzo is thee biggest whiner in the B1G. And his whiny face is so punchable.
4. Illini - A) treatment of Eric Gordon & family B) Weber verbally kicking us while we were down C) When the weather is fair they have arrogant fans (which is worse than fans who are always arrogant)
5. Wiscy - Most of it is envy, but I'm so sick of losing to them. 

2 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

5. Wiscy - Most of it is envy, but I'm so sick of losing to them. 

I don't consider them a rival, i do hate them with a passion unlike any other team.  I might very well hate Wisc more than any other team in any sport.  My hatred of Wisc as a school has bled over to the fact that i now have hate colored lenses when thinking of anything that comes out of that stupid state.

9 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I don't consider them a rival, i do hate them with a passion unlike any other team.  I might very well hate Wisc more than any other team in any sport.  I hatred of Wisc as a school has bled over to the fact that i now have hate colored lenses when thinking of anything that comes out of that stupid state.

I am the same. But Bo is gone and Wiscy is going down. I don't know if they'll return to the after-thought they were before Bo, but I don't see Wiscy being a major conference contender going forward.

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Yes.  Had not thought of that.  Immediately moves Montana State into the discussion.

Also forgot about Incarnate Word and the blood bath that was the Priller recruitment. Mart them as 1 of my top 5 rivals!!!

4 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I don't consider them a rival, i do hate them with a passion unlike any other team.  I might very well hate Wisc more than any other team in any sport.  My hatred of Wisc as a school has bled over to the fact that i now have hate colored lenses when thinking of anything that comes out of that stupid state.

But how do you really feel? 😆

17 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Hard for me to envision Wiscy (or Northwestern for that matter) as a rival, simply because when I was growing up and into my young adult years, Wisconsin and Northwestern were the doormats of the B10 in both basketball AND football.

Archived