Indiana High School Football (2019)

31 minutes ago, btownqb said:

@5fouls

Either way.. our conference needs to dump Pekin and Cville. 

8 team conference, keep Austin to appease Scottsburg. We would get 3 out of conference football games that way. 

A lot of rumors the past year that Pekin was looking at moving to the Patoka Lake conference, and that conference would gladly take them.  But, apparently the vote ultimately was to stay put.  Surprised me because they would be more competitive in all sports in the Patoka Lake.  Their girl's basketball state championship may be blinding their administration from reality.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, rico said:

As I am not familiar with the district, how are their other sports?

Mediocre to poor in all sports over the last 25 years or so.  Used to have a top flight baseball program 20-30 years ago.  I think an individual girl's tennis player may have won or at least went to state a couple of years ago.

Unfortunately for them, with the blurry district lines, elite athletes find their way to Jeffersonville or New Albany with little or no effort.  And, Providence, the major private school in the area, is located in Clarksville and siphons off some as well.

14 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

A lot of rumors the past year that Pekin was looking at moving to the Patoka Lake conference, and that conference would gladly take them.  But, apparently the vote ultimately was to stay put.  Surprised me because they would be more competitive in all sports in the Patoka Lake.  Their girl's basketball state championship may be blinding their administration from reality.

I know a lot of it is their AD. He made a comment before saying the crowd we bring is a big gate for them, but if they were playing more games where they would have a legitimate chance to win.. I would say they would have a lot more of their own fans their. 

3 hours ago, rico said:

Understood.  Just my hunch but I expect some "small" schools will be "folding" my way in the next decade.  

Hamilton High School up here is a prime example. The school enrollment now is around 70. They last had a football team 6-7 years ago. Still have both a boy’s and girl’s basketball team, but neither one is real competitive. The school is spiraling... kids leave, faculty leaves, test scores plummet, state accreditation scores drop. Kids with any ability, athletic or academic, transfer to Dekalb or Angola due to lack of opportunities at Hamilton. Frankly, I believe the only reason that the school still exists is due to the amount of wealth living on Hamilton Lake.

29 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Hamilton High School up here is a prime example. The school enrollment now is around 70. They last had a football team 6-7 years ago. Still have both a boy’s and girl’s basketball team, but neither one is real competitive. The school is spiraling... kids leave, faculty leaves, test scores plummet, state accreditation scores drop. Kids with any ability, athletic or academic, transfer to Dekalb or Angola due to lack of opportunities at Hamilton. Frankly, I believe the only reason that the school still exists is due to the amount of wealth living on Hamilton Lake.

That is sad to hear Steubby.  Sadly, there are more in disarray in our neck of the woods so to speak.  And thank you for the "heads up".  Out of curiosity how many schools are there in Steuben County?

So the school I went to and where I coach football at was in 2A for every season except for like the last 6 or 7. 

We've been dominate at both 2A and 3A. 

But 2A is WAY less crowded at the top than 3A is.. 3A(Chatard, Brebeuf, Tri West, Memorial, Andrean, WL, GC). 

... we are at 534 students right now. The top of 2A has 545. I pray 1.5 years from now (next time they reclassify) we are in 2A. 

55 minutes ago, rico said:

That is sad to hear Steubby.  Sadly, there are more in disarray in our neck of the woods so to speak.  And thank you for the "heads up".  Out of curiosity how many schools are there in Steuben County?

High Schools 3 or 4.

Hamilton 

Fremont 

Angola

Prairie Heights- I think. The school is right on the county line 

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I live closer to Orland than to Angola, even though my address is Angola. All my kids are grown and gone but I get the PH newsletter in the mail so I assume they are in Steuben County 

I think they cross county lines, but I ain't sure.  

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

So the school I went to and where I coach football at was in 2A for every season except for like the last 6 or 7. 

We've been dominate at both 2A and 3A. 

But 2A is WAY less crowded at the top than 3A is.. 3A(Chatard, Brebeuf, Tri West, Memorial, Andrean, WL, GC). 

... we are at 534 students right now. The top of 2A has 545. I pray 1.5 years from now (next time they reclassify) we are in 2A. 

Wow, your enrollment is down.  The IHSAA site shows you at 562 when they counted heads last year.  

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Wow, your enrollment is down.  The IHSAA site shows you at 562 when they counted heads last year.  

Yes and no.. the last couple of years, yes it's down. If you compare to before that it's actually right on course. 

I graduated with 120. 

One of my favorite things about the John Harrell sites (both football and basketball).  It's his preview of upcoming games.  As the year progresses, he includes predictions.  Adds a lot of context for me when looking at schools outside my region, since w/l records can be very misleading.

https://indianahsfootball.homestead.com/files/capsFri.htm

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

One of my favorite things about the John Harrell sites (both football and basketball).  It's his preview of upcoming games.  As the year progresses, he includes predictions.  Adds a lot of context for me when looking at schools outside my region, since w/l records can be very misleading.

https://indianahsfootball.homestead.com/files/capsFri.htm

I did not not know this...thank you.

Some huge 6A matchups this weekend.

• #1 Carmel versus perennial national power Louisville Trinity
  • #2 Center Grove versus #3 Warren Central
  • #4 Brownsburg versus #9 Ben Davis
  • #5 Avon versus #14 Columbus North
  • #7 North Central versus #16 Fischers
  • #8 Lafayette Jeff versus 3A #1 West Lafayette
  • #10 Columbus East versus 5A #10 Whiteland

In 5A Elkhart ,Central and Elkhart Memorial compete for the last time as the two schools will consolidate for next school year.

36 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

In 5A Elkhart ,Central and Elkhart Memorial compete for the last time as the two schools will consolidate for next school year.

Avon and CN is brother vs brother.. ughhh I wish we could get a big time game week 1. 

Oh well.. Ctown SC is solid for WK1. 

34 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Avon and CN is brother vs brother.. ughhh I wish we could get a big time game week 1. 

Oh well.. Ctown SC is solid for WK1. 

It's nice to play a big game Week 1, but Ctown is SC's biggest game due to the proximity of the schools.  Would prefer to have that Week 9.

12 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Not a bad weekend to start. Have some friends headed down to Louisville. CG and WC will be a good one too. 

I love high school sports.  Watched a great football game tonight between Silver Creek and Charlestown.  Silver Creek won on a 80 yard punt with a minute left, but had to hold off a Charlestown drive that made it all the way to the 10 yard line and they had a shot at the end zone on the last play.

Louisville Trinity destroys Carmel 41-14.

Warren Central beat Center Grove 21-14.

Brownsburg beat Ben Davis 29-24.

On 8/15/2019 at 6:31 AM, 5fouls said:

Clarksville, a 2A program in the very southern part of the state, is in the midst of a 45 game losing streak.  Here is a preview of the upcoming season that appeared in the local paper.  I would say that, there are probably 1, possibly 2, chances at a win.  If the streak does not end soon contraction is a real possibility.  Low numbers have contributed heavily to the losing streak. Because of the way the school district boundaries are drawn, Clarksville loses a lot of potential student body to other schools systems.

https://www.newsandtribune.com/sports/high-school-football-clarksville-has-sights-on-ending--game/article_e3150c24-bd8d-11e9-a355-3f8d38e633dc.html

Clarksville almost broke their losing streak tonight, losing to Scottsburg 21-20.  This was one of their best chances at victory this season.  1 chance left, maybe an outside shot at 1 other.   

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I love high school sports.  Watched a great football game tonight between Silver Creek and Charlestown.  Silver Creek won on a 80 yard punt with a minute left, but had to hold off a Charlestown drive that made it all the way to the 10 yard line and they had a shot at the end zone on the last play.

Louisville Trinity destroys Carmel 41-14.

Warren Central beat Center Grove 21-14.

Brownsburg beat Ben Davis 29-24.

Big win for SC

Archived