Indiana High School Football (2019)

41 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Luers confirmed to be a 2A school. 

Lack of success at the 3A level and falling enrollment numbers.

I don't think it's lack of success.  They went to semi-state last year and regional the year before that.  

While that technically may not meet success factor requirements to play up, they clearly can compete at the 3A level.

It truly is an enrollment related thing with them.  As it is they are the 2nd largest 2A school.  Literally missed being 3A by 2 students.  542 students at Luers when Tippacanoe Valley has 544 and is in 3A.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I don't think it's lack of success.  They went to semi-state last year and regional the year before that.  

While that technically may not meet success factor requirements to play up, they clearly can compete at the 3A level.

It truly is an enrollment related thing with them.  As it is they are the 2nd largest 2A school.  Literally missed being 3A by 2 students.  542 students at Luers when Tippacanoe Valley has 544 and is in 3A.

Speaking of Valley...they were a power house at one time.  They are struggling right now in 3A.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Project ourselves into the year 2049.  What does high school football in Indiana look like? 

Does it have a future, or will the concussion related fallout continue to push youth away from the sport?

Will liability fears and/or costs make it too much of a risk for school districts to allow the schools to field teams?

I don't know how the concussion issue will affect the future of HS football in this state but I know around me there are several school districts that are having financial difficulties period.  Maybe btown can give us some financial numbers as to the kind of money it takes to field a football team?

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Project ourselves into the year 2049.  What does high school football in Indiana look like? 

Does it have a future, or will the concussion related fallout continue to push youth away from the sport?

Will liability fears and/or costs make it too much of a risk for school districts to allow the schools to field teams?

While looking up some information on the IHSAA website, i saw that there is already a Unified Flag Football state tournament in place. Looks like about 28 schools are mentioned as having teams. I could see this become a much more prevalent alternative to tackle football sooner than 2049.

59 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Here’s a question I’m curious to hear answers to. I think that all of us would agree that top to bottom, the MIC is the best conference for football (and it’s not close IMO). What would you say is the second best conference in the state on a yearly basis? 

Avon, Westfield, Brownsburg, HSE, Fishers, Noblesville, Franklin Central, Zionsville. That's not close either. Hoosier Crossroads Conference. 

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2017/7/11/15952184/cte-study-wisconsin-high-school-football

There is no risk to playing HS football. At least no more than the other sports. Girls soccer has the highest concussion rate of any sport, why no one talks about that is behind me. Probably because the media is a joke. 

2 hours ago, rico said:

I don't know how the concussion issue will affect the future of HS football in this state but I know around me there are several school districts that are having financial difficulties period.  Maybe btown can give us some financial numbers as to the kind of money it takes to field a football team?

I dont have the exact numbers... but the fundraisers we do: discount cards, T shirt/sweatshirt sales, Chili supper at a home basketball game, dancing with the stars (this brings in 10K-12K per year), spring camps, summer camps. 

We have excellent equipment(especially for a school our size), but we've raised the money to have those nice things. 

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Here’s a question I’m curious to hear answers to. I think that all of us would agree that top to bottom, the MIC is the best conference for football (and it’s not close IMO). What would you say is the second best conference in the state on a yearly basis? 

The  Summit Athletic Conference (Ft. Wayne) has frequent state champ contenders in Snider, Bishop Dwenger and Bishop Luers. Concordia just won the state championship a couple of years back. Homestead and Carroll are also generally very good. I would put that conference up against most in the state.

53 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I dont have the exact numbers... but the fundraisers we do: discount cards, T shirt/sweatshirt sales, Chili supper at a home basketball game, dancing with the stars (this brings in 10K-12K per year), spring camps, summer camps. 

We have excellent equipment(especially for a school our size), but we've raised the money to have those nice things. 

So, more than taxpayer dollars are required?

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

The  Summit Athletic Conference (Ft. Wayne) has frequent state champ contenders in Snider, Bishop Dwenger and Bishop Luers. Concordia just won the state championship a couple of years back. Homestead and Carroll are also generally very good. I would put that conference up against most in the state.

As would I.

5 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I would say that conference is third. Probably even comfortably third. 

57 minutes ago, btownqb said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2017/7/11/15952184/cte-study-wisconsin-high-school-football

There is no risk to playing HS football. At least no more than the other sports. Girls soccer has the highest concussion rate of any sport, why no one talks about that is behind me. Probably because the media is a joke. 

Whether there is increased risk or not, the perception is that there is.  Numbers are already down at many high schools and in youth leagues.  Eventually, those trends will change the sport, if for no other reason than fewer schools will be able to field a team.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Whether there is increased risk or not, the perception is that there is.  Numbers are already down at many high schools and in youth leagues.  Eventually, those trends will change the sport, if for no other reason than fewer schools will be able to field a team.

And combined with the financial aspect makes for a bad recipe.

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

There are more HS playing football now than ever before though. 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I would say that conference is third. Probably even comfortably third. 

Perhaps, you follow it closer than I.  But keep your eye on Homestead and Carroll.  Those areas of Fort Wayne are booming.  Their enrollments are skyrocketing...and they have plenty of room to grow area wise.

7 minutes ago, rico said:

Perhaps, you follow it closer than I.  But keep your eye on Homestead and Carroll.  Those areas of Fort Wayne are booming.  Their enrollments are skyrocketing...and they have plenty of room to grow area wise.

But so are Fishers Nob HSE Westfield Zionsville etc that are in 2nd. Then you throw in Avon and Brownsburg. Itd be the depth of the HCC that should set it apart from the Summit. 

Archived