Indiana High School Football (2019)

49 minutes ago, btownqb said:

There are more HS playing football now than ever before though. 

Not sure about that.  I don't know about the North, but, as you know, Trinity Lutheran and Wood Memorial have shut down programs over the last 3-4 years in the South.  

And, there are a lot of schools with open weeks on the schedule or games against charter schools not affiliated with the IHSAA.

322 schools were IHSAA football members in 2013.  This year there are 320.  Not a huge drop, but there are programs that are just hanging on.  

SC played a school two years ago that dressed less than 20.  Not sure how many they had last year as I did not attend.  You probably know who I am talking about.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Not sure about that.  I don't know about the North, but, as you know, Trinity Lutheran and Wood Memorial have shut down programs over the last 3-4 years in the South.  

And, there are a lot of schools with open weeks on the schedule or games against charter schools not affiliated with the IHSAA.

322 schools were IHSAA football members in 2013.  This year there are 320.  Not a huge drop, but there are programs that are just hanging on.  

SC played a school two years ago that dressed less than 20.  Not sure how many they had last year as I did not attend.  You probably know who I am talking about.

Yes our conference just needs to drop them completely. 

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

But so are Fishers Nob HSE Westfield Zionsville etc that are in 2nd. Then you throw in Avon and Brownsburg. Itd be the depth of the HCC that should set it apart from the Summit. 

Your opinion.  Remember the Summit is all located in one town....not thrown all over the outskirts of Indy.  But that is my opinion.  And I am partial to Fort Wayne.

37 minutes ago, rico said:

Your opinion.  Remember the Summit is all located in one town....not thrown all over the outskirts of Indy.  But that is my opinion.  And I am partial to Fort Wayne.

Their location is irrelevant.. we are talking about conference. 6A vs 5A there really isn't a comparison there. Plus.. Concordia, Luers, Wayne, Southside are all 4A or smaller. All those schools are in Indy every bit as much as Carroll and Homestead are in FW.

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Their location is irrelevant.. we are talking about conference. 6A vs 5A there really isn't a comparison there. Plus.. Concordia, Luers, Wayne, Southside are all 4A or smaller. All those schools are in Indy every bit as much as Carroll and Homestead are in FW. 

I thought location was what we were talking about?  North vs. South?  My bad.  Terrible fishing day.

3 minutes ago, rico said:

I thought location was what we were talking about?  North vs. South?  My bad.  Terrible fishing day.

No.. conferences. 

When talking about the South vs North.. we have been throwing Indy out of the equation because it is an outlier in terms of football success. 

Conferences: MIC obviously number 1, HCC #2, Summit #3... 

#4 would probably be either SIAC or Duneland or Midstate. 

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

No.. conferences. 

When talking about the South vs North.. we have been throwing Indy out of the equation because it is an outlier in terms of football success. 

Conferences: MIC obviously number 1, HCC #2, Summit #3... 

#4 would probably be either SIAC or Duneland or Midstate. 

Nothing is obvious to me when talking HS pigskin.  Where do you put the NIC?

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Nothing is obvious to me when talking HS pigskin.  Where do you put the NIC?

The MIC is consistently rated top 5 conference in the country. There isnt a year it's not the best conference in the state. 

The NIC is a little more difficult because it has big school small school. It would be in the discussion for 4th at times as well. I dont really see any other way you cut the top three conferences than the way I have. But the fight for 4th would be a little interesting. Looks like there are 4 conferences that at times could stake claim to that. 

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The MIC is consistently rated top 5 conference in the country. There isnt a year it's not the best conference in the state. 

The NIC is a little more difficult because it has big school small school. It would be in the discussion for 4th at times as well. I dont really see any other way you cut the top three conferences than the way I have. But the fight for 4th would be a little interesting. Looks like there are 4 conferences that at times could stake claim to that. 

But mainly made up of schools North of I-70?

To add just a bit to the discussion but maybe in a different area.  I was told today that Zionsville has had trouble with declining numbers for their little league programs.  So much so that they had to merge w Carmel.  I, too, feel like football gets too much negativity in the press but if the reality is what's happening in Zionsville is happening all over then the future of football is in trouble.

Oh, and don’t forget that Franklin Central joined the HCC last year.  They found out how tough that conference is from top to bottom.

56 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Did Whitko not have a coach in place for summer conditioning, or did the coach unexpectedly resign?

Yes, from what I hear he was signed late April, although I never heard a word about it until last night on WANE-TV.  I do know the previous football coach got let go before the season ended last year.  He was the son of the coach I played under that led the 'Cats to a state title 2 years after I graduated.  Hopefully this new/old guy can turn the program around.  

On 7/24/2019 at 6:19 PM, 5fouls said:

I'll admit that I am not nearly as big of a high school football junkie as I am basketball, but during the season, I still find myself on most Friday nights during the season attending the games at the school my kids attend.

It's still several weeks before the high school season starts, and I'm not sure how active this thread will be, but even with no games going on, I think there are some interesting topics that can be discussed.

• Is Indiana, specifically the Indianapolis area, an underrated hotbed of football talent?
  • North versus South.  Virtually all of the powerhouse programs in the state are located in the Indy metro area and northward.  This is the case in all 6 class levels.  What are the reasons for the disparity?  
  • Program contraction.  It's becoming an issue.  There are more programs folding due to low numbers and expense than there are programs being added.  I was at a game last season where the opposing team dressed less than 20 players (and it was not a 1A school).
  • Is a 6 class system the best approach (versus 4 classes in other sports)?  The 'plan' is for classes 1A-4A to have 64 teams each, class 6A to have 32 teams, and class 5A to make up the difference.  Contraction and success factor has skewed those numbers slightly, but those numbers generally hold true.

Anyway, as I said, several weeks until the season starts, but thought we could have some conversation before then.  Once the games begin, it would be interesting to hear about the teams in your area, even if you do not attend the games.  Who are the teams to watch?  Any elite talent?, etc.

As he does with basketball, John Harrell has a great website that I use to keep up with what is going on.  A link is provided below.

https://indianahsfootball.homestead.com/

Yes, and Bloomington might be the most underrated of them all in HS BB and FB.

The disparity might be less centers of concentrated population with priorities in football in the South.  Other than Bloomington, Bedford, Columbus, and Terre Haute all within a 100 mile radius roughly, the rest who are not among Evansville and Jeff/New Albany, etc are not only less numerous in concentrated areas of populations, but also average income/wealth. Plus, basketball culture is more of an unquestioned ruler in terms of sports interest in general. Near and North of Indy, Purdue and Notre Dame Football have it different all of the way down to average attendance reaching capacity more often.. In the Southern 1/3 IU, U of L or UK  Basketball to varying degrees are literally most-  everything to the average person with little conflict of interest presented by IUFB (more to come on that subject, come season prediction time) . Generally speaking it is hard to call it a coincidence. 

Program contraction is definitely becoming a more widespread issue as well are more basic essential things such as class room materials(now parents buying what teachers once provided , etc)  lunches and bus transportation.  Schools are contracting not only programs but radius of travel etc so I think it is a general overall downturn and program contraction is both symptom and solution for some schools..All around lifeblood sports and fundraising revenue are now being lost to more popular forms of entertainment and towns have described as relying on teams being a part of their school system economy as often as colleges/universities, factories or farms have been.  For what it is worth Eastern High School in Greene County, right up with/if not the least densely populated county per size in the state near the Monroe County border, actually expanded to varsity football in the 2000s, and it has helped generate better economic conditions for their consolidated school system, born out of the interest in the rising Thunderbirds Football team. There are not enough success stories such as this though in my opinion. Condensing classes might the only way to regenerate some interest, but I feel a lot of interest in physical activity has been lost overall and that shows up in the stands or more - doesn't show up.  

I liked 5 Football classes. The more teams that have to go through each other directly to a title the more valid the claim to being the best becomes. However, I do think 4 would be in interesting and better. 

42 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

^^ Good post, Jon.  Two programs I would be wary of ,if ever I saw them on my favorite team's schedule.  1)  Defending State Champion. Warren Central.   And.  2).  Penn... a perennial winner.

WC just kicked off their projected starter at QB. 6A is wide open this year. Carmel will only benefit one more year in getting to go through the north. The south includes all the other MIC schools and Avon and Brownsburg. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

WC just kicked off their projected starter at QB. 6A is wide open this year. Carmel will only benefit one more year in getting to go through the north. The south includes all the other MIC schools and Avon and Brownsburg. 

Thanks for the intel.  Yes. Carmel.  I believe a former state champ. Correct ?  And I know about Avon. No much as Brownsburg. 

Archived