Indiana High School Football (2019)

8 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Regular season games. I presume. Same class as Carmel ?  I just learned something. Thanks for that. 

I just keep thinking of the Milan Miracle. They even make movies of that kind of thing.  I am sure nothing like that will ever happen again.

The Milan Miracle of 1954

Also. I want to thank you very, very much.  For your civil debate with me.  THANKS !

School that are 1300 students and larger play in 4A. Huge difference in basketball, unfortunately. 

Alabama doesn't play against Frankin College in sports in college. Why should HS be any different? 

I'm not sure you're grasping how small these school are. Half of Carmel is still a 6A HS. 

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, btownqb said:

School that are 1300 students and larger play in 4A. Huge difference in basketball, unfortunately. 

Alabama doesn't play against Frankin College in sports in college. Why should HS be any different? 

I'm not sure you're grasping how small these school are. Half of Carmel is still a 6A HS. 

I really appreciate all of your information.  Again. Thanks very much.  I just grew up in a different era.  When the tournament started, we all had one dream.  Becoming  THE one and  only state champ.  When I was in high school. My old school. Gary Lew Wallace never had a chance. Getting past the likes of Froebel, Roosevelt, or even Tolleston, in the Sectionals. Never happened. Yet I still had hope. Every year.   And low and believe..... Roosevelt once went to the championship game against Crispus Attucks. With Dick Barnett. Kids I watched. As they trounced my school.  Only to lose to Oscar Robertson.  Not my school. But a memory that has lived in my mind for decades.  AND. THEN. Brandon Dawson playing against Cody Zeller for a state championship.  A game, thanks to the World Wide Web,I was able to watch.  Class basketball.  Not the same for me.

It was class basketball, wish it wasn't :

2010 IHSAA  State Championship: Washington 65, Gary Wallace 62 (OT) 

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I really appreciate all of your information.  Again. Thanks very much.  I just grew up in a different era.  When the tournament started, we all had one dream.  Becoming  THE one and  only state champ.  When I was in high school. My old school. Gary Lew Wallace never had a chance. Getting past the likes of Froebel, Roosevelt, or even Tolleston, in the Sectionals. Never happened. Yet I still had hope. Every year.   And low and believe..... Roosevelt once went to the championship game against Crispus Attucks. With Dick Barnett. Kids I watched. As they trounced my school.  Only to lose to Oscar Robertson.  Not my school. But a memory that has lived in my mind for decades.  AND. THEN. Brandon Dawson playing against Cody Zeller for a state championship.  A game, thanks to the World Wide Web,I was able to watch.  Class basketball.  Not the same for me.

Football thread....

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

There is zero chance that a small school could compete with the mega schools in today's high school basketball.  Honestly, class basketball has probably saved high school basketball in Indiana.  If today's generation only knew getting beat by 40 points in the sectional every year,, then they would simply find something else to do with their time.

37 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

There is zero chance that a small school could compete with the mega schools in today's high school basketball.  Honestly, class basketball has probably saved high school basketball in Indiana.  If today's generation only knew getting beat by 40 points in the sectional every year,, then they would simply find something else to do with their time.

Football thread...

17 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Yep.  I created it and have kept the conversation going when it starts to lag.  And, when high school basketball season gets here, I will start a thread on it as well.  

I went fishing today in Indiana...

11 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Blackhawk Christian

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Blackhawk Christian

Could they surprise a big school in a one game shootout.  Sure. Could they win 7-8 games in a row against big schools in tournament play?  I don't think so.  

Games against Silver Creek, Culver, Marion, and Attucks coming this season.  All are very good teams, but they are not mega schools, and I don't think any of them could win a single class title either.

22 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Could they surprise a big school in a one game shootout.  Sure. Could they win 7-8 games in a row against big schools in tournament play?  I don't think so.  

Games against Silver Creek, Culver, Marion, and Attucks coming this season.  All are very good teams, but they are not mega schools, and I don't think any of them could win a single class title either.

They beat all but one team in the Ft. Wayne area last year, which included 8 4A schools and 2 3A schools.

50 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

They beat all but one team in the Ft. Wayne area last year, which included 8 4A schools and 2 3A schools.

But none of those  Ft. Wayne area schools would have had a prayer in a single class tourney either.

Silver Creek won the 3A title but would have been projectef to lose in the sectional to Jeffersonville in a single class setup.  

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Silver Creek would run rule Blackhawk Christian. Then Carmel would have beaten SC by 12-15 last year. 

That's just it....all conjecture. Your opinion vs mine. 

Let them play the games and determine the best. 

Saying all this, I believe it is much easier for a small school basketball team to be competitive. All it takes is one or two dominant kids. Football is more about the numbers. I definitely believe there should be classes for football.

15 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

That's just it....all conjecture. Your opinion vs mine. 

Let them play the games and determine the best. 

Saying all this, I believe it is much easier for a small school basketball team to be competitive. All it takes is one or two dominant kids. Football is more about the numbers. I definitely believe there should be classes for football.

There should be for basketball as well. Not really conjecture when you look at scores. Again.. there are divisions in college why shouldn't there be in HS? 

Just now, btownqb said:

There should be for basketball as well. Not really conjecture when you look at scores. Again.. there are divisions in college why shouldn't there be in HS? 

Not sure what scores have to do with anything, unless its in a head to head game.

Divisions in college have less to do with attendance numbers, and more to do with whether the school wants to shell out the money to become Division 1. Loyola Chicago, George Mason, Florida Gulf Coast Atlantic, Butler....all small schools who were originally given little chance against the big boys. None won it all, but all acquitted themselves just fine against much larger schools.

26 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The divisions in college are not based on a school's enrollment...

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Not sure what scores have to do with anything, unless its in a head to head game.

Divisions in college have less to do with attendance numbers, and more to do with whether the school wants to shell out the money to become Division 1. Loyola Chicago, George Mason, Florida Gulf Coast Atlantic, Butler....all small schools who were originally given little chance against the big boys. None won it all, but all acquitted themselves just fine against much larger schools.

But ok.. Carmel vs Sheridan game 1 of sectionals. So dumb. Why would anyone even want to watch that? 

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

They do that on a yearly basis?.. no even close

24 minutes ago, btownqb said:

So? But in actuality.. they basically are. You put like schools against each other.. this isn't rocket science. 

Listen, colleges pick their athletes.  Enrollment has nothing to do with success on the field...look at Notre Dame.  What do they have?  Maybe 9,000 students?  Compare that to USC or Wisconsin.  Comparing Indiana's class system to divisions in college just makes no sense.

Just now, rico said:

Listen, colleges pick their athletes.  Enrollment has nothing to do with success on the field...look at Notre Dame.  What do they have?  Maybe 9,000 students?  Compare that to USC or Wisconsin.  Comparing Indiana's class system to divisions in college just makes no sense.

It makes more sense then playing schools with 400 students against schools with 4,000+... honestly how dumb is that? 

9,000 compared to 40,000 ... 

400 compared to 5,000... 

I'm pretty good with ratios.. those two aren't even close. Colleges get to pick their players and they still understand there needs to be divisions.. why cant you guys? 

BIG, BIG difference in college enrollment versus high school enrollment.  In college, you get to recruit. 

Trust me when I tell you that Borden, a 1A school down by me that won a basketball championship a few years back, did not get there by recruiting.  That's a school that never even won a single class sectional before class went into effect.  They were in a sectional with Jeffersonville, a school with 10-15 times the enrollment.

That said, back to football.  We can revisit basketball when we get closer to that season.

Archived