Fred Glass

5 hours ago, BGleas said:

I hate that I'm contributing to this conversation, because at least to this point I'm a "Archie guy" and I think a lot of the handwringing over last season is out of hand. If even just half of the injuries don't happen then IU walks into the NCAA Tournament last season with ease and this is all moot. 

But with that said, should IU miss the tournament next season the elephant in the room will be in OKC. I have no idea how accurate any of the Billy Donovan rumors were last time, I tend to think a lot of it was fake and made up, but with that said I'll be surprised if Donovan is still the Thunder coach at the end of this upcoming NBA season. OKC is in full rebuild mode and the fans there already are very mixed on him.

It's a lot different asking him to leave an NBA team with two superstars for either IU two years ago or UCLA this past offseason, compared to if he's a free agent on the open coaching market. 

Again, I hate myself for stoking these flames and adding to the fuel for some posters, but if IU does miss again I think you'll see a lot of chatter about this scenario from fans. 

There was a plane that flew from OKC to Indianapolis today.  :coffee:

And a check of real estate listings show that there are houses for sale in Bloomington.  :coffee:

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I don't want to go into detail about who or what I know within the U, etc. Among the things being overlooked here is that IU just went through firing Crean, this is ONLY year 3 of CAM, and IU is not interested in going through another after 3 years. It isn't happening. Nor should it, this is all seriously premature.

Agree all day. These are two singular issues in different silos if you will. One is of course we shouldn't be talking about this. The other though is the what if scenario. If certain events transpire what would we do. I think most can separate the two. 

People who get to certain levels always will be planning and will have options or plans if scenario A, B, or C happens. At least I hope they would. Good talk!

Just now, 5fouls said:

There was a plane that flew from OKC to Indianapolis today.  :coffee:

And a check of real estate listings show that there are houses for sale in Bloomington.  :coffee:

I can tell you that Aaron Rodgers was looking for rentals in Zionsville 3 months ago. Does that count as scoop? 

Firing either Allen or Miller so soon is premature at this point, imo.

In regards to Allen. He is improving the talent level and bringing in/ being considered by a higher level of recruits than we have ever had. I believe he just needs more time to build the depth of the roster to survive the gauntlet that is the BG East.

CAM has restored a respect for IU basketball from the high school and AAU coaches in state that has been missing for some time. We all want instant gratification for the program but it is going to take time for this to bear fruit. We are in on a ton of in state kids that frankly we would not have even sniffed at in prior coaching regimes. Also, Archie has the blessing of RMK which has to have some impact on the big dollar donors. I don’t discount the fact that Coach Knight, regardless of his state of mind, has moved back to Bloomington. His endorsement of CAM, imo, buys a fair amount of time with those in position to make changes 

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Firing either Allen or Miller so soon is premature at this point, imo.

In regards to Allen. He is improving the talent level and bringing in/ being considered by a higher level of recruits than we have ever had. I believe he just needs more time to build the depth of the roster to survive the gauntlet that is the BG East.

CAM has restored a respect for IU basketball from the high school and AAU coaches in state that has been missing for some time. We all want instant gratification for the program but it is going to take time for this to bear fruit. We are in on a ton of in state kids that frankly we would not have even sniffed at in prior coaching regimes. Also, Archie has the blessing of RMK which has to have some impact on the big dollar donors. I don’t discount the fact that Coach Knight, regardless of his state of mind, has moved back to Bloomington. His endorsement of CAM, imo, buys a fair amount of time with those in position to make changes 

Best post this board has seen in a while.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Just so people understand. If we miss the tourney 3 years in a row I'm not saying firing Archie is the answer. What I'm saying is that Archie will have found himself in quicksand because none of the high level recruits in 2021 or 2022 would buy his hype. Opposing coaches would have 3 years of not making a tourney to use against Archie and IU. So I'm not advocating firing him but recruiting will take a hit and once that happens....he would be in trouble team wise in year 5 so some AD's take the approach of heading this off before we waste more time. Look what UK did with BG is a very good example. If this scenario plays out though....I don't want Fred making the call. 

If you think high level recruits would not look at us because of our record then how did Crean get Cody and Yogi to commit to IU after 3 straight losing seasons.

Respect you as a poster and I'm not saying this to be whatever....but completely disagree. If Archie misses the first 3 years there's no question his seat would be warm (it's IU). We experienced the same with Crean with obviously much more difficult situation.

All the things you list as a reason why a player chooses a place would be the exact reason why they would choose another school. 

If you mean from the fan base yes the seat will get warm but that doesn't matter because it is not up to us who the coach is.  All that matters is what the administration thinks and I think they will give him more tan 3 years.

I don't pretend to be in the know of any sort. I do however know a few pretty significant contributors in Indy's legal community and a couple others peppered around the state. I can tell you this as I type on July 25th everyone is on board....but 2 particular contributors (who shared with me exactly how Wilson's termination went down) said to me on the course last week the following. If Archie misses in year 3....the question has to be asked what are we doing. Is this another Crean? Fair or unfair. Message board sentiment or not. I'm telling you there are several who are asking the very questions/scenarios that we discuss on here.

As always I welcome good conversation but to dismiss that people aren't having these conversations isn't reality either. Problem is this isn't on Archie. It's 20 years of frustration which means every coach has less and less time to hit. I've heard the name Chris Beard 4x in the last month. People are pointing out the obvious. If they can do it in West Texas where the tumbleweed flies....why can't we? 

I know the instant society we live in. I get it...but there is a growing number of IU fans just running out of patience. 

Unless RMK totally comes back and bury the hatchet with IU I don't see Chris beard taking the IU job.  He was an assistant under RMK and would bet he would not go against RMK and come to IU.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Unless RMK totally comes back and bury the hatchet with IU I don't see Chris beard taking the IU job.  He was an assistant under RMK and would bet he would not go against RMK and come to IU.

Wasn't even remotely suggesting that. I was saying people are talking and using him as an example of why it shouldn't take years. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

If you think high level recruits would not look at us because of our record then how did Crean get Cody and Yogi to commit to IU after 3 straight losing seasons.

How or why? Not sure which one is being asked.

Yogi and Cody's parents didn't need a handout....they were self sufficient money wise is the answer to the how. They also knew they were going to be the reason for the turnaround.They also knew because Crean had sucked so bad the first 3 years they had a chance to be the saviors...i.e. the movement....which is the reason for the why.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

How or why? Not sure which one is being asked.

Yogi and Cody's parents didn't need a handout....they were self sufficient money wise is the answer to the how. They also knew they were going to be the reason for the turnaround.They also knew because Crean had sucked so bad the first 3 years they had a chance to be the saviors...i.e. the movement....which is the reason for the why.

And Cody had already signed before the disastrous 3rd season I believe.  Lander and Furst are not signing this fall. 

I honestly think we make the dance pretty easily this season but if I by some reason I'm wrong I assure you Archie will not be the coach here long term.  Season 4 if there is one in that scenario would extremely ugly I guarantee you.  Our fans would be tweeting and posting on their Instagram to guys like Lander, Furst, etc that they should go to UK or UL instead.  The Rivals board is already rooting for us to lose this season in order to speed up the firing process.  Lets all hope we meet expectations this season and Archie gets this thing turned around.

11 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

And Cody had already signed before the disastrous 3rd season I believe.  Lander and Furst are not signing this fall. 

I honestly think we make the dance pretty easily this season but if I by some reason I'm wrong I assure you Archie will not be the coach here long term.  Season 4 if there is one in that scenario would extremely ugly I guarantee you.  Our fans would be tweeting and posting on their Instagram to guys like Lander, Furst, etc that they should go to UK or UL instead.  The Rivals board is already rooting for us to lose this season in order to speed up the firing process.  Lets all hope we meet expectations this season and Archie gets this thing turned around.

That is the kind of thing I am talking about if that happens then our fan base are [art of the problem.  To me if any so called IU fan would do that then I really have doubts if they are really fans at all.  Also I wouldn't go by the rivals board as a barometer on what the IU fan base as a whole thinks because those guys are the cesspool of the fan base.

14 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I don't want to go into detail about who or what I know within the U, etc. Among the things being overlooked here is that IU just went through firing Crean, this is ONLY year 3 of CAM, and IU is not interested in going through another after 3 years. It isn't happening. Nor should it, this is all seriously premature.

The people at the U may feel that way, but all that goes out the door when the big donors start walking away with their bags of cash.

Nobody wants to go through this all again, but if we miss the tournament again next year, this program is going to be ugly, again.

Most people that know me, even slightly, know that I'm probably the biggest IU fan that they personally know. At Seasons and I had multiple people texting and messaging me calling me asking if Archie was going to be let go.  It is a reality, it is a reality it is a reality.

It would take catastrophe this year. I don't think is going to happen but my goodness if they suck this year again it's going to get crazy around here

I think there might be some confusion on what people mean when they say Archie’s seat is going to get “warm” if we miss the tournament next year.  There’s no way he’s getting let go after next season unless it’s some kind of ridiculous disaster (which isn’t going to happen) or the stars align with a guy like Donovan (which also probably isn’t going to happen).  But if we don’t make the tournament, he will for sure be on the hot seat going into his fourth season.  There can’t be any doubt about that.

There's no chance Archie is released until after he's had four years here, and most likely five. The contract simply won't allow it. But I'm also sympathetic to something Gary Parrish has said, that once a coach loses the trust of the fanbase he never really gets it back. I think you saw that clearly with Tom Crean and the way the promising 2013 season ended; even another Big Ten title with a tournament defeat of Kentucky wasn't enough to heal those wounds.

Another season in the bottom half of the conference and in the NIT won't get Archie fired. But I think a season like that would create a deficit of trust for a lot of fans. 

59 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

There's no chance Archie is released until after he's had four years here, and most likely five. The contract simply won't allow it. But I'm also sympathetic to something Gary Parrish has said, that once a coach loses the trust of the fanbase he never really gets it back. I think you saw that clearly with Tom Crean and the way the promising 2013 season ended; even another Big Ten title with a tournament defeat of Kentucky wasn't enough to heal those wounds.

Another season in the bottom half of the conference and in the NIT won't get Archie fired. But I think a season like that would create a deficit of trust for a lot of fans. 

That's why if our BOT had any idea what they are doing whatsoever they would fire Fred today.  That would at least call off the dogs for a couple of years and give Archie a chance to succeed.  They need a scalp and Fred's is the one they really want.  As long as he's around and we're not going to FFs you're going to have half our fan base out for blood.

12 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

That's why if our BOT had any idea what they are doing whatsoever they would fire Fred today.  That would at least call off the dogs for a couple of years and give Archie a chance to succeed.  They need a scalp and Fred's is the one they really want.  As long as he's around and we're not going to FFs you're going to have half our fan base out for blood.

Sounds like some people take college sports way to serious to be calling for someone scalp LOL!  I think Fred has done a very good job  except for the Crean extension but I feel like the rest of the hires been good ones.

Archived