Darrion Brooks-2023

rico

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Whatever happened to his brother's thread?  It used to always be on Page 1.  I think I'll go look for it.

We squeezed every thing we could out of that bottle...had to go to the store to get a new one.

18 minutes ago, dgambill said:

So should we have let Cody go because his brothers went elsewhere?? I might not get worked up over it but seems butthurt to not recruit the kid.

This. Maybe someone going south of us will have regrets this year and think maybe I shoulda...

where is this fella playing hs ball at?

18 minutes ago, dgambill said:

So should we have let Cody go because his brothers went elsewhere?? I might not get worked up over it but seems butthurt to not recruit the kid.

Well there is a difference there.  KBS was active in his son's recruitment including the LaLu move.  I don't recall hearing a peep out of the Zellers.  How did that Ball thing turn out?

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Hard pass. Wish the kid well but don't want to see us involved at all. I don't care if that means he ends up at a Big 10 school or UK or Louisville. 

As a guy that played HS hoops in the FW area, I follow it some what closely in my old age.  With the KBJ debacle at FW North, I can't help but wonder what this man would have to say...

https://www.hoopshall.com/hall-of-fame/byard-hey/

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Cody's father was light years different than this father.  Maybe he's not quite at the Lavar Ball level, but I don't get a good feel about him at all reading his tweets.  You recruit the kid and you recruit the kid's family.  I'll root got whoever Archie signs, but if it were my decision, I'd steer wide clear of that father unless there is strong evidence of a sea-change in heart and attitude.  I didn't see much evidence of a desire to be a team player...only a desire for the quickest path to the NBA and it's pretty clear who the driving force behind that mindset was.

I just see a bunch of butthurt fans because the family thought the best opportunity for Keion was to go to UK in trying to get to the NBA. I get it. We thought we had the kid and then we had a bad year...Archie’s system didn’t showcase Romeo (a much better talent) well and the kid and his family went in a different direction. That said maybe they learn that UK isn’t the best option for their next kid (getting lost in a 5* shuffle). Why wouldn’t we still want the kid if he is interested in us and we thinks he could help our team. Trust me Keion didn’t go to UK making demands and expecting to be the show...he knew he would be competing his butt off to play on one of the most talented teams in the country and figured he can showcase his talents in a way to get drafted. I don’t see the family as being like the Balls where they are making demands etc. If his brother is interested and it’s mutually beneficial maybe this one works out. I have an open mind.

22 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I just see a bunch of butthurt fans because the family thought the best opportunity for Keion was to go to UK in trying to get to the NBA. I get it. We thought we had the kid and then we had a bad year...Archie’s system didn’t showcase Romeo (a much better talent) well and the kid and his family went in a different direction. That said maybe they learn that UK isn’t the best option for their next kid (getting lost in a 5* shuffle). Why wouldn’t we still want the kid if he is interested in us and we thinks he could help our team. Trust me Keion didn’t go to UK making demands and expecting to be the show...he knew he would be competing his butt off to play on one of the most talented teams in the country and figured he can showcase his talents in a way to get drafted. I don’t see the family as being like the Balls where they are making demands etc. If his brother is interested and it’s mutually beneficial maybe this one works out. I have an open mind.

I see a very long sentence that I stopped reading after the first 7 words.

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I see a very long sentence that I stopped reading after the first 7 words.

Seeing as you gave up on this kid after simply reading his name that doesn’t surprise me. Maybe Archie won’t recruit him based off his brothers recruitment if he feels the family did something wrong...but if his talent merits a scholarship then I feel confident we offer.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

So you think it's a great idea to invest more time and money into a recruitment where the father publicly stated he's going to do what's in HIS own self interest?  Plus, we no longer employ the father's college coach, not that it made a difference. 

The Brooks are free to play things the way they wish. It's their lives. But we would be naive to ever put all of our eggs in the Brooks basket again. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierinbham said:

So you think it's a great idea to invest more time and money into a recruitment where the father publicly stated he's going to do what's in HIS own self interest?  Plus, we no longer employ the father's college coach, not that it made a difference. 

The Brooks are free to play things the way they wish. It's their lives. But we would be naive to ever put all of our eggs in the Brooks basket again. 

When did we ever put all our eggs into the Brooks basket? Maybe people on this forum did but Archie went out and recruited well. So his brother passed on us...big deal. Doesn’t mean if the situation worked out his brother couldn’t come here and that be the best interest of him. Sure I would be cautious but I doubt Archie is writing the whole family off.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

When did we ever put all our eggs into the Brooks basket? Maybe people on this forum did but Archie went out and recruited well. So his brother passed on us...big deal. Doesn’t mean if the situation worked out his brother couldn’t come here and that be the best interest of him. Sure I would be cautious but I doubt Archie is writing the whole family off.

Did we have a bunch of great alternatives after he committed to UK?  Never said completely avoid recruiting him, but wouldn't avoid competing recruits that play the same position and could be viewed as a threat.

4 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Did we have a bunch of great alternatives after he committed to UK?  Never said completely avoid recruiting him, but wouldn't avoid competing recruits that play the same position and could be viewed as a threat.

All I’m suggesting is we keep an open mind and if there is mutual interest we recruit him. No need for special favors or holding a roster spot etc. I just don’t think like others are suggesting you simply write a kid off because his brother and family decided to go a different route. Maybe this time they want him closer to home or they want him on a team where he can see more of the ball who knows. Some act like Keion and his dad did us dirty. I don’t see it that way unless someone has insider info.

2 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

AAU and college basketball is a business.  I have no problem with kids and their parents, using it for what it is. 

In the corporate world we (individual) get used all the time. It’s refreshing for the individual to have the power..good for them. I still think Keion made a mistake and would have been better off here at IU instead of buried on that roster at UK but I’m not going to hold it against his brother if he wants to go a different route.

Archived