Darrion Brooks-2023

rico

18 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

So what?  Nerlens Noel got drafted 6th after his entire leg was basically destroyed. Teams draft on potential way too much for an injury to be the reason Romeo’s stock plummeted. 

You guys act like Brooks chose between two similar situations. 

At Kentucky he has a chance to win an SEC title and NCAA title. We couldn’t even guarantee him a tourney berth and his draft stock not to plummet. 

Choosing IU was always going to be the emotional choice and not the logical one. Don’t demonize the kid and father for making a logical choice simply because it didn’t benefit you.  

Can we come back next year at this time and say we told you so as KB Jr gets ready for 2nd season in Lexington? Same as we said with Kris Wilkes?? Or even a better one since you are a Kentucky believer...how about Marquis Teague? Remember him the 6th overall player in his class who Calipari turned into the 29th pick and fantastic career of 91 NBA games?

KB Jr and Family can do what they want. But we do know our hoops around here too. Plenty of us see the same in KB Jr as the others I've mentioned.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Can we come back next year at this time and say we told you so as KB Jr gets ready for 2nd season in Lexington? Same as we said with Kris Wilkes?? Or even a better one since you are a Kentucky believer...how about Marquis Teague? Remember him the 6th overall player in his class who Calipari turned into the 29th pick and fantastic career of 91 NBA games?

KB Jr and Family can do what they want. But we do know our hoops around here too. Plenty of us see the same in KB Jr as the others I've mentioned.

And that’s fine but if he’s isn’t OAD at Kentucky it’s not like he was going to be one here either. We weren’t offering anything Kentucky wasn’t. And in a lot of cases a lot less  

So stop acting like his father is some monster for not having him come here 

33 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

And that’s fine but if he’s isn’t OAD at Kentucky it’s not like he was going to be one here either. We weren’t offering anything Kentucky wasn’t. And in a lot of cases a lot less  

That's simply not true. Brooks may not be a first round pick because he doesn't get to play at Kentucky. Don't get me wrong, Brooks has the skill set to play in the NBA, but he isn't one of those guys (Ben Simmons, Markelle Fultz, etc) who can go wherever they want and get drafted on talent and potential alone. Brooks needs to prove he's worthy of a first round pick by seeing the floor. That isn't a guarantee at Kentucky. We've seen plenty of top rated recruits go to Kentucky, play a year or two, and never get a second contract or have underwhelming NBA careers and it's because they never had a definitive role in college.

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

So what?  Nerlens Noel got drafted 6th after his entire leg was basically destroyed. Teams draft on potential way too much for an injury to be the reason Romeo’s stock plummeted.

Noel was projected #1 and plummeted to 6th.

Romeo was projected #5-6 and plummeted to 14th.

Not sure I see a lot of difference there.

45 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I am not calling KBS a monster...I am saying he is a LaVar Ball want to be.

And fwiw, I checked out 4 mock drafts for 2020.  None that I looked at had KBJ going in the 1st round.

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

You guys act like Brooks chose between two similar situations. 

At Kentucky he has a chance to win an SEC title and NCAA title. We couldn’t even guarantee him a tourney berth and his draft stock not to plummet. 

Choosing IU was always going to be the emotional choice and not the logical one. Don’t demonize the kid and father for making a logical choice simply because it didn’t benefit you.  

I with you on the demonizing of Brooks and his Dad. They did what they felt was best for them and their family. That's what everyone does.

But your commentary on Langford IMO is way off base. The injury is what absolutely impacted his stock, not Archie or IU not being able to develop him. If we're strickly speaking on draft stock, Langford's biggest mistake was laying it on the line for his team/program and continuing to play hurt. If he had shut it down after the Marquette game, similar to Darius Garland, his stock wouldn't have slipped at all most likely. 

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

That's why IU made much more sense. Higher likelihood of showcasing his skills because of stronger chance to get 25 minutes per game. Just to be clear I'm not demonizing anyone. Just pointing the obvious. He had a better chance of minutes here vs Kentucky....and last I checked UK already added another OAD last week. His minutes his sophomore season will be in danger too. 

24 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Never claimed he was going to go in the first round of 2020. That’s not the point. 

It kind of is. Brooks and his dad have the mindset of wanting to get the NBA as soon as possible. That would imply he has OAD mentality and if he’s not a first round pick or has to come back for a second year, then it means his decision to go to Kentucky wasn’t wise.

15 hours ago, Moyeneeded said:

If the NBA was the goal, could he have not achieved that playing here? Romeo did! And a lottery pick I might add. Just as much tv coverage, a better conference. All of the playing time in the world. Btw, most of that crap WAS true!

Romeo was a consensus too 5 pick coming into the season. Like Garland had even just sat out he wouldn’t have fallen to the end of the lottery (and a lot of people said had Boston not taken him he would have fallen to 20 perhaps). I wouldn’t say IU did Romeo any favors in his draft status. His defense improved but due to his wrist it’s hard to say the kid improved his status much. I would say Archie still has work to do to say he is turning out pros regularly. If I’m a young man and that is my priority I understand going to Michigan St or UK.

9 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

I can’t stand UK but I agree if I’m a 5* recruit I really have to consider them. The coach even says success is measured by how many kids he gets into the nba and not championships. There is plenty of BS at UK but one thing he promises and it’s true is that you will compete against the best in the nation day in and day out just to earn your minutes. He talks about when you get to the NBA they are always trying to replace you with someone better...you have to work your butt off to keep your spot and get your money and he will prepare them at uk for that. They showcase kids on espn all the time, Cal has tons of connections in the nba and they practice against the best kids and play the toughest schedule. 

Now however I disagree that isn’t the best scenerio for every kid. Some develop slower some have to be taught more and some can’t thrive playing 15 mins a night and without the ball. IU I absolutely think would be a better spot for Keion to showcase himself and improve over a couple years....but Cal got him hooked he will be the next OAD. Maybe he will...if he puts the work in he can...but given who they have brought in...it will be extremely difficult imo for him to have the impact on the game like he could at IU. Keion is a great ball player but he is in elite water down there. Maybe he steps up...and that would be great for him as if he succeeds there he can succeed in the nba but something tells me his road will be bumpy. So while I have no problem with Brooks choice..I do think he could have done better at IU.

2 hours ago, IndyResident16 said:

It kind of is. Brooks and his dad have the mindset of wanting to get the NBA as soon as possible. That would imply he has OAD mentality and if he’s not a first round pick or has to come back for a second year, then it means his decision to go to Kentucky wasn’t wise.

And it's obviously that's what Cal sold them on. Come here and be the next in my line of OaD NBA millionaires.

39 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I can’t stand UK but I agree if I’m a 5* recruit I really have to consider them. The coach even says success is measured by how many kids he gets into the nba and not championships. There is plenty of BS at UK but one thing he promises and it’s true is that you will compete against the best in the nation day in and day out just to earn your minutes. He talks about when you get to the NBA they are always trying to replace you with someone better...you have to work your butt off to keep your spot and get your money and he will prepare them at uk for that. They showcase kids on espn all the time, Cal has tons of connections in the nba and they practice against the best kids and play the toughest schedule. 

Now however I disagree that isn’t the best scenerio for every kid. Some develop slower some have to be taught more and some can’t thrive playing 15 mins a night and without the ball. IU I absolutely think would be a better spot for Keion to showcase himself and improve over a couple years....but Cal got him hooked he will be the next OAD. Maybe he will...if he puts the work in he can...but given who they have brought in...it will be extremely difficult imo for him to have the impact on the game like he could at IU. Keion is a great ball player but he is elite water down there. Maybe he steps up...and that would be great for him as if he succeeds there he can succeed in the nba but something tells me his road will be bumpy. So while I have no problem with husband choice..I do think he could have done better at IU.

Image result for husband gif

34 minutes ago, cybergates said:

And it's obviously that's what Cal sold them on. Come here and be the next in my line of OaD NBA millionaires.

I know that is what Cal sold them on, doesn't mean it's the right decision or it's going to work out that way. From Skal to Isiah Briscoe to Marquise Teague to Alex Poythress to the Harrison Twins, there's plenty of top flight talent that went to UK promised to make millions in the NBA who either weren't able to go the OAD route because they couldn't get on the floor because they were stuck behind better competition or played second and third fiddle. I'm not suggesting that Brooks would have fared any better at IU, but Brooks absolutely would have been the focal point of IU's offense next year with a a very high usage rate comparable to Romeo. 

Brooks is coming into UK with a loaded class (three other players at his same position) and a bunch of other talented players who came back. No matter how hard Brooks works, there still may not be that opportunity to see the floor. And if he doesn't see the floor, it's going to be extremely hard for him to be a first round pick after a single year. And seeing that both Brooks and his father want the fastest route to NBA millions, the decision to go to UK will ultimately would had been the wrong decision in that scenario. Had he chosen IU, he at least would have been able to say IU featured him as much as possible.

15 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

I know that is what Cal sold them on, doesn't mean it's the right decision or it's going to work out that way. From Skal to Isiah Briscoe to Marquise Teague to Alex Poythress to the Harrison Twins, there's plenty of top flight talent that went to UK promised to make millions in the NBA who either weren't able to go the OAD route because they couldn't get on the floor because they were stuck behind better competition or played second and third fiddle. I'm not suggesting that Brooks would have fared any better at IU, but Brooks absolutely would have been the focal point of IU's offense next year with a a very high usage rate comparable to Romeo. 

Brooks is coming into UK with a loaded class (three other players at his same position) and a bunch of other talented players who came back. No matter how hard Brooks works, there still may not be that opportunity to see the floor. And if he doesn't see the floor, it's going to be extremely hard for him to be a first round pick after a single year. And seeing that both Brooks and his father want the fastest route to NBA millions, the decision to go to UK will ultimately would had been the wrong decision in that scenario. Had he chosen IU, he at least would have been able to say IU featured him as much as possible.

You're preaching to the choir here. My previous post was in agreement with yours.

If he's a OaD @ fUK then he will certainly have earned it more so than any of the guys (Daniel Orton comes to mind) who were OaD simply by going there. 

He had a better chance of OaD at IU, but Cal sold that, I'm assuming Archie didn't and was more realistic with him/dad.

21 minutes ago, cybergates said:

You're preaching to the choir here. My previous post was in agreement with yours.

If he's a OaD @ fUK then he will certainly have earned it more so than any of the guys (Daniel Orton comes to mind) who were OaD simply by going there. 

He had a better chance of OaD at IU, but Cal sold that, I'm assuming Archie didn't and was more realistic with him/dad.

Fair points and I'm glad Archie did it the way he did. I have no problem with one and done's and have aspirations to play professionally, but if you're playing at IU you're own coaches time not yours and I sensed a little bit of that with there Brook's recruitment was going.

1 hour ago, IndyResident16 said:

That's probably the thing that annoys me as much as anything.  There's ample evidence that Cal's development program at UK isn't all that impressive.  You're giving some of the same examples I've used in the past here.  No question, there are a number of pros that made a pit stop at the UK program, but there's not much evidence that Cal has any magic formula for making his burger boys stick and thrive in the NBA.  In fact, there are plenty of examples of washouts that may well have been adversely affected by Cal's philosophy of running players through and shoving them out as soon as they can be drafted.  If I were retired and had all the time in the world, I'd set up a spreadsheet with all Cal's UK players and track his actual NBA success rate, comparing consensus class rank in high school to draft night to longer term NBA success in terms of aggregate contract dollars received.  I'd bet actual success is nothing near what the hype train thinks it is, and compared to expectations, there are plenty of coaches with as good or better track records.  Cal's greatest gift is his salesmanship.  It's easy to get a lot of players drafted if you start every class with 3-4 MDAA's.

11 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

That's probably the thing that annoys me as much as anything.  There's ample evidence that Cal's development program at UK isn't all that impressive.  You're giving some of the same examples I've used in the past here.  No question, there are a number of pros that made a pit stop at the UK program, but there's not much evidence that Cal has any magic formula for making his burger boys stick and thrive in the NBA.  In fact, there are plenty of examples of washouts that may well have been adversely affected by Cal's philosophy of running players through and shoving them out as soon as they can be drafted.  If I were retired and had all the time in the world, I'd set up a spreadsheet with all Cal's UK players and track his actual NBA success rate, comparing consensus class rank in high school to draft night to longer term NBA success in terms of aggregate contract dollars received.  I'd bet actual success is nothing near what the hype train thinks it is, and compared to expectations, there are plenty of coaches with as good or better track records.  Cal's greatest gift is his salesmanship.  It's easy to get a lot of players drafted if you start every class with 3-4 MDAA's.

You have expressed stuff there that "diehard" UK fans are expressing as well.

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

I know more UK fans that would rather be top 25 year in year out with a whole different recruiting approach than to consistently have The OAD Model they currently have 

Oh absolutely.  I know plenty UK fans that think Cal has ruined Kentucky basketball.

9 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Noel was projected #1 and plummeted to 6th.

Romeo was projected #5-6 and plummeted to 14th.

Not sure I see a lot of difference there.

Nassir Little went from #4 then drafted 25th. 

Bol Bol went from #4 then went 44th. 

Archie plummeting Romeo’s stock is a lazy narrative. 

Archived